• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coffee Talk V: The Final Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are not to be livable wage jobs.

Every wage should be a livable wage job. Sure, it's not going to be a glamourous life, but when you can't even rent a single room apartment anywhere in the States for $7.25 a hour, the minimum wage is too low. That is just rent mind you, you might want to oh I don't know eat.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every wage should be a livable wage job. Sure, it's not going to be a glamourous life, but when you can't even rent a single room apartment anywhere in the States for $7.25 a hour, the minimum wage is too low. That is just rent mind you, you might want to oh I don't know eat.
When I was a kid working in fast food in the 80's it took me 2 hours' worth of work to fill my car's tank. Now, my son (if he was working in fast food) would take the better part of a 6 hour shift to fill his.

If people make more money not working than working, it's not the employee's fault.

The boy is home for the summer and looking for a job so he doesn't run out of money next year at college. We never made him work before because playing travel hockey and going to a very rigorous school didn't leave him a lot of decompression time. So he has no work experience at all. He is deciding between 14 an hour to stock shelves at a grocery store and 15 to work at a rec center running exercise programs for kids.

If fast food places wanted to compete for workers, I doubt Target would suddenly raise their stocker wages. They just realized quicker that it helps to pay a decent wage, and they don't have a shortage of workers.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or you know have affordable or socialized healthcare where their low paying wages can actually cover more things.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no issue with this...
So you are OK with a rich guy denying people from getting money that someone else wants to give them? Money that might really help them after a year plus of pandemic life? Some of those people who may have degrees and have had higher paying jobs that they lost or are on hold due to the pandemic? But you're OK with him (and his donors most likely) deciding what is too much for others to get. Cool!

I hear Abbot hates when his Whattaburger takes too long. Nothing makes a "burger" taste better than the desperation of it's cook.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wicsk9r36vz61.jpg

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want this to seem like we're piling on scouty because he's a fine contributor to this board, but I was working in one of those "low skilled" jobs making $5 an hour while attending college/university. Of course, that was 35 years ago. Something tells me that inflation/cost of living has gone up considerably more in that time span that requires more than a bump of $2.25 an hour.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It also reminds me of how my governor turned down 700+ million from the feds to build an east west light rail which would have benefited lower income areas. He then used the state money for this project for works in some of the richer areas in the state. Hopefully others remember this if/when he runs for higher office.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want this to seem like we're piling on scouty because he's a fine contributor to this board, but I was working in one of those "low skilled" jobs making $5 an hour while attending college/university. Of course, that was 35 years ago. Something tells me that inflation/cost of living has gone up considerably more in that time span that requires more than a bump of $2.25 an hour.
Me neither, its nothing personal.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd prefer to hear Eddie in Erie's take on minimum wage before I chime in with my three cents.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm taking a mental health day because of some work news I got yesterday. If our health insurance in this country was not tied to our employers, designed to keep us underpaid and stagnant, I'd gladly quit and work retail or something while I looked.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Education, healthcare, and housing have increased significantly (at times drastically) over the last several decades. But as the state of Texas might describe it...
"Only 2 of these 3 areas are necessary to sustain life."

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm taking a mental health day because of some work news I got yesterday. If our health insurance in this country was not tied to our employers, designed to keep us underpaid and stagnant, I'd gladly quit and work retail or something while I looked.
Sorry to hear about the job stress. Good news in for tech roles, you should expand your search to jobs that list "remote" as an option. In the last two weeks I have interviewed with companies in Boston, Los Angeles and London.

Hope it works out for you.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry to hear about the job stress. Good news in for tech roles, you should expand your search to jobs that list "remote" as an option. In the last two weeks I have interviewed with companies in Boston, Los Angeles and London.

Hope it works out for you.
Good luck with yours too.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hope it's nothing too serious, my friend. I keep telling myself that better days are ahead, I sure hope it's true.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck with yours too.
Thanks. Not really actively interested in leaving my job, just want to see what my skills command on the open market. I do it every few years.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, this news sucks. RIP Charles Grodin, underrated actor/comedian

Status
Not open for further replies.