• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coaching News From Around the League

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, if it's all uniformly applied, where no team can hire until after the Superbowl, there's no disadvantage. I mean, sure, they could say that they are at a disadvantage to those who go into the off-season already with the GM and HC, but that's why you make the best decision and hope to not need to do it again for a long time. I'd prefer a week or two after the Super Bowl - that way, there's less likely to be pre-negotiating. The OCs for the Super Bowl teams could potentially have a week off, too (but that's not major reason).

One consideration is for college recruits. The coaches may need to know early and I don't blame them for wanting to go to the NFL.

As I said, no way you could do that, with the combine so closely after the SB.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said, no way you could do that, with the combine so closely after the SB.

Thanks, I read that after I posted, as you posted after I did. Thanks for the correction. That makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pete Roussel:

Sources tell me that Minnesota Vikings assistant to the head coach Cam Turner will join the FIU staff on the offensive side of the ball.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how many posts I've dedicated to saying that Roman is the favorite for the job? Sheesh.

La Canfora; As we've long noted Greg Roman in good shape for Jags job. Mike Nolan, Vic Fangio, Jay Gruden could get interviews too

So...this occurred to me when it was certain Mularkey would be fired. If we lose Roman, how many would like Mularkey as OC?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mike Jurecki:

Ray Horton has reached out to Norv Turner to see interest in Cards OC if Horton gets HC. Norv wants to stay out West.

He wants to stay out west? Ahhhh. Hearing that is ripping at my heart a little bit.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Kevin Acee:

Talk increasing that SF 49ers OC Greg Roman will be looked at by Chargers. Has done fine job. Oh & he was Tom Telesco's college roomie.

Argh! Arians is still considered the favorite right now, though.

Jesus Christ. What is this, a fucking reunion? How many more college buddies does Roman have floating around in the NFL?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Peter King:

Asked an NFL coach who knows Chip Kelly why he stayed in Eugene. Did Cleve screw up? Philly? He said: "Phil Knight."

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Browns hired Rob Chudzinski. Wow.

P. Schrager:

I'm hearing from a very good source that Norv Turner is, in fact, coming with Chud to CLE.

Good for the Browns, I'd say. As far as Norv at least. Sounds like many people are surprised/critical of the Chudzinski hire.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Browns hired Rob Chudzinski. Wow.

P. Schrager:

I'm hearing from a very good source that Norv Turner is, in fact, coming with Chud to CLE.

Good for the Browns, I'd say. As far as Norv at least. Sounds like many people are surprised/critical of the Chudzinski hire.

If Norv goes there and Alex follows, I don't see that as a plus for Smith that it's in Cleveland. I guess there's always a chance that things get better, the Clippers are now winning! Alex Smith succeeding wasn't a given anyway. The Browns also have Weeden, though age will be about the same, they may be committed to him. I doubt they'd cut him loose or trade him or even bench him. So Alex, don't follow Norv there! You can always have a friendship from afar. :) I thought that maybe the stars would align and Alex's new team could at least be a playoff team in the AFC - don't want him beating us, but obviously I hope he goes somewhere he can succeed away from us.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Norv goes there and Alex follows, I don't see that as a plus for Smith that it's in Cleveland. I guess there's always a chance that things get better, the Clippers are now winning! Alex Smith succeeding wasn't a given anyway. The Browns also have Weeden, though age will be about the same, they may be committed to him. I doubt they'd cut him loose or trade him or even bench him. So Alex, don't follow Norv there! You can always have a friendship from afar. :) I thought that maybe the stars would align and Alex's new team could at least be a playoff team in the AFC - don't want him beating us, but obviously I hope he goes somewhere he can succeed away from us.

Why wouldn't they? No one left there really has any ties to him. The HC doesn't, the OC doesn't, the GM won't. If they don't like what they have seen, they very well could get rid of him.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why wouldn't they? No one left there really has any ties to him. The HC doesn't, the OC doesn't, the GM won't. If they don't like what they have seen, they very well could get rid of him.

Just me being pessimistic. I guess overly pessimistic. Weeden could very well be replaced after one year. Moving forward over loyalty or trust, if they don't want him, sure.

Since you are new on this board, you'll soon come to know if you don't already, that I'm a Niners fan first (and support the QB switch) and also an Alex Smith fan because of the University of Utah Utes. My childhood college team's best modern QB went to my childhood NFL team. I also write long responses and explain everything. I often am sarcastic and don't always write seriously. I try to make it clear when I'm joking.