• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Coach of the Year Thread

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's the other coach that has won on his level the last 3 decades? Clearly there must be someone since you aren't biased.

You realize the Coach of the Year award is only for ONE year right? This isn't a lifetime achievement award. This is what coach did the best job let's say for this year 2016? Has Belichick done a great job? Of course he has and he should be in the running. He has a foundation established though and yes that does hurt him some years when it comes to this award. Can you really sit here and say that Garrett hasn't done a great job coaching though? I mean the team went 4-12 last year. Before the season even started they lost their veteran QB that has most years been a top-7 QB. They saw what 4 or 5 of the starters on the defense get suspended. They watched their star WR struggle with injuries. And yet what have they done but go out and be tied with the Patriots for best record in the NFL. Throw in they have actually had a tougher schedule up to this point and have played in a much more competitive division yet are still in 1st. So again I give Belichick all the credit in the world for what he does year in and year out I just don't think he has done the best job this year. Top-3 easily just not tops in my book for THIS year.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If COY was literally the best coach, it would just be some hodge podge of Hoody, Reid, and maybe Carroll basically every year. With Hoody winning most of the time.

Like most awards it's just a poplarity contest most years, with a lot of "flavor of the month" to it.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like most awards it's just a poplarity contest most years, with a lot of "flavor of the month" to it.
I've never had a problem with it just because "of the year" can be construed into many things. It doesn't distract from the obvious usually, so it doesn't bother me. Sure it ends up being largely sensational, but that's what makes it fun to talk about, imo.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You realize the Coach of the Year award is only for ONE year right? This isn't a lifetime achievement award. This is what coach did the best job let's say for this year 2016? Has Belichick done a great job? Of course he has and he should be in the running. He has a foundation established though and yes that does hurt him some years when it comes to this award. Can you really sit here and say that Garrett hasn't done a great job coaching though? I mean the team went 4-12 last year. Before the season even started they lost their veteran QB that has most years been a top-7 QB. They saw what 4 or 5 of the starters on the defense get suspended. They watched their star WR struggle with injuries. And yet what have they done but go out and be tied with the Patriots for best record in the NFL. Throw in they have actually had a tougher schedule up to this point and have played in a much more competitive division yet are still in 1st. So again I give Belichick all the credit in the world for what he does year in and year out I just don't think he has done the best job this year. Top-3 easily just not tops in my book for THIS year.

You really need to research the concept of "paragraphs".

With that said, BB is the greatest coach year in and year out, which is why he is the GCOAT.

You pick mistakes made, but willfully, like most debates you get into, the 10 tons of weight of the right calls he makes.

This year isn't even in question in my mind. He started the season without his starting QB, the GQBOAT, and likely the GFPOAT. He won 3 of those 4.

He lost the GTEOAT, something you have argued is huge, and has continued to win.

He does this virtually every year. The Patriots are always one of the favs to win it all, not for a year or two, but for decades.

He is the COY, and the GCOAT. There is no argument here.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never had a problem with it just because "of the year" can be construed into many things. It doesn't distract from the obvious usually, so it doesn't bother me. Sure it ends up being largely sensational, but that's what makes it fun to talk about, imo.

Well and to me the true lifetime award for a coach is the HOF. That is the best award outside of Lombardi's that any player or coach could receive. So while Garrett probably wins because he has taken a team from such a bad spot to tops in the NFC I'm not seeing him getting the HOF jacket any time soon unless he somehow figures out how to win in the playoffs. We all know Belichick is a 1st ballot HOF coach and will go down with some of the biggest name coaches in history.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really need to research the concept of "paragraphs".

With that said, BB is the greatest coach year in and year out, which is why he is the GCOAT.

You pick mistakes made, but willfully, like most debates you get into, the 10 tons of weight of the right calls he makes.

This year isn't even in question in my mind. He started the season without his starting QB, the GQBOAT, and likely the GFPOAT. He won 3 of those 4.

He lost the GTEOAT, something you have argued is huge, and has continued to win.

He does this virtually every year. The Patriots are always one of the favs to win it all, not for a year or two, but for decades.

He is the COY, and the GCOAT. There is no argument here.

Well there is plenty of argument here but with you that is impossible. You have made up your mind and cannot listen to anything beyond your own thoughts on any subject. I voiced my opinion on the thread of who I think deserves it and you disagree. At this point instead of continuing this on for the next 5 pages how about we just leave it at that.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well and to me the true lifetime award for a coach is the HOF. That is the best award outside of Lombardi's that any player or coach could receive. So while Garrett probably wins because he has taken a team from such a bad spot to tops in the NFC I'm not seeing him getting the HOF jacket any time soon unless he somehow figures out how to win in the playoffs. We all know Belichick is a 1st ballot HOF coach and will go down with some of the biggest name coaches in history.

What a cop out argument.

If someone is that good, it reasons to stand he's the COY nearly every year.

You are completely under weighting the Coach who holds it together for decades. That in itself is enough to win every year.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's largely true even if the NFL HOF is something I've always had problems with, personally. Garrett definitely has yet to show me anything special really as a coach either schematically or as a leader. Seems like a classic company-man that won't rock the boat. Then again, most NFL coaches aren't terribly impressive to me.

Last edited:

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well there is plenty of argument here but with you that is impossible. You have made up your mind and cannot listen to anything beyond your own thoughts on any subject. I voiced my opinion on the thread of who I think deserves it and you disagree. At this point instead of continuing this on for the next 5 pages how about we just leave it at that.

No you choose people who have done nothing, and suddenly have a good year because of some pieces falling into place, while discrediting the weight of someone that holds it together for decades.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a cop out argument.

If someone is that good, it reasons to stand he's the COY nearly every year.

You are completely under weighting the Coach who holds it together for decades. That in itself is enough to win every year.
The counterargument to this is a topicality based argument:

Coach of the Year is bestowed upon the coach who offers up an impressive, usually unexpected, and otherwise outstanding year. Notice that best was not mentioned once. Nor is it present in phrase "Coach of the year. "

If that means the award is bupkis to you, well, then that's your call. It's kind of like shitting on the ROY award because a player was overrated or oversensationalized to me. Or lacks OL.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No you choose people who have done nothing, and suddenly have a good year because of some pieces falling into place, while discrediting the weight of someone that holds it together for decades.

And you completely discount anybody who takes a team from being bad to best record in the NFL because they haven't done it for decades. I have said that Belichick has been hurt by this in the past. I have given you my arguments though of why I prefer Garrett to win it rather than Belichick this year. You disagree and that is fine. I just don't see this reason for you and I to go round and round when neither of us are going to agree in the end.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's largely true even if the NFL HOF I've always had problems with, personally. Garrett definitely has yet to show me anything special really as a coach either schematically or as a leader. Seems like a classic company-man that won't rock the boat. Then again, most NFL coaches aren't terribly impressive to me.

Was actually talking with some earlier about this. It really can be a good ol boys club. I mean how else do you explain Fisher continuing to find work in this league as a Head Coach? I've listened to some stories from ex-players talking about some coaches they had that really did nothing and at times veteran players had to step in to try and coach up the young guys because the coach had no clue what he was doing.

AS for Garrett I would agree he has for the most part been a company man. Still the improvement of the team is down right impressive especially considering the loss of Romo to start the year. Most teams that would end the season. For the Cowboys they lucked into finding a couple of great rookies but they still have to put them in a position to succeed and they have done that well. I'm maybe more impressed with the defense though and just a big group of no name players for the most part doing enough to win games.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The counterargument to this is a topicality based argument:

Coach of the Year is bestowed upon the coach who offers up an impressive, usually unexpected, and otherwise outstanding year. Notice that best was not mentioned once. Nor is it present in phrase "Coach of the year. "

If that means the award is bupkis to you, well, then that's your call. It's kind of like shitting on the ROY award because a player was overrated or oversensationalized to me. Or lacks OL.

Isn't that exactly what happens with nearly all these awards?

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you completely discount anybody who takes a team from being bad to best record in the NFL because they haven't done it for decades. I have said that Belichick has been hurt by this in the past. I have given you my arguments though of why I prefer Garrett to win it rather than Belichick this year. You disagree and that is fine. I just don't see this reason for you and I to go round and round when neither of us are going to agree in the end.

And you assume that just because a team has improved it's soley because of the head coach.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you assume that just because a team has improved it's soley because of the head coach.

You really like to try and put words in people's mouths. Never said that. Do you think Bill Belichick is the sole reason the Patriots are winning? Because it seems like if you are suggesting this then I can suggest that Belichick is the only reason the Patriots are winning. So that means Brady is just a trash QB that has lucked into being coached by the greatest coach that has ever lived. Gronk is nowhere near the best TE in football but is favored because of the genius that is Belichick.

This is where coaching still requires talent to succeed. Belichick probably isn't recognized like he is without Brady being his QB for so many years. At the same time Brady probably isn't the QB he is without Belichick at the helm as well. Same for Garrett this year. His team has talent especially on the offensive side of the ball. They have brought in the best OL in football. They have a quality RB. They have a QB that is playing well. They have a veteran TE that continues to beat father time. When healthy Bryant can be a top-5 WR. So I"m not saying it is all Garrett but if you say it is all Belichick then you can't call Brady the GOAT. Can't have it both ways here buddy.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't that exactly what happens with nearly all these awards?
Sure, but that's not what we actually do because we're generally not dumb enough to fall for the super blatant appeal to authority rubber stamping the COY would be. We talk these things out, set a frame of debate, and discuss the quality of the coaches in question in this case. That's what is nice about message boards- you can think for yourself.

ROY is more merit based than COY probably, but there are plenty of hints of nonsense. Can't tell me there haven't been OL worthy of ROY for instance.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really like to try and put words in people's mouths. Never said that. Do you think Bill Belichick is the sole reason the Patriots are winning? Because it seems like if you are suggesting this then I can suggest that Belichick is the only reason the Patriots are winning. So that means Brady is just a trash QB that has lucked into being coached by the greatest coach that has ever lived. Gronk is nowhere near the best TE in football but is favored because of the genius that is Belichick.

This is where coaching still requires talent to succeed. Belichick probably isn't recognized like he is without Brady being his QB for so many years. At the same time Brady probably isn't the QB he is without Belichick at the helm as well. Same for Garrett this year. His team has talent especially on the offensive side of the ball. They have brought in the best OL in football. They have a quality RB. They have a QB that is playing well. They have a veteran TE that continues to beat father time. When healthy Bryant can be a top-5 WR. So I"m not saying it is all Garrett but if you say it is all Belichick then you can't call Brady the GOAT. Can't have it both ways here buddy.

Get back to me when you learn legible paragraphs.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, but that's not what we actually do because we're generally not dumb enough to fall for the super blatant appeal to authority rubber stamping the COY would be. We talk these things out, set a frame of debate, and discuss the quality of the coaches in question in this case. That's what is nice about message boards- you can think for yourself.

ROY is more merit based than COY probably, but there are plenty of hints of nonsense. Can't tell me there haven't been OL worthy of ROY for instance.

"We" don't do anything in the choosing process.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Get back to me when you learn legible paragraphs.

I'm sorry that 2 paragraphs is a lot to read? Or that I get a bit wordy when I write? My editor tells me every now and then to calm down on how much I write but that is just me. This is again why I said at this point what is the point in continuing the conversation? You have made up your mind and refuse to hear anything anybody else has to say. Even when people compliment the player or coach or team you are speaking about you still take it as an insult.