• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Clausen OUT of Minny game- Concussion

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Bears twitter:
Jimmy Clausen will not play in Sunday's season finale in Minnesota after suffering a concussion in yesterday's loss to the Lions.

Well...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B...... S. I just don't trust this coaching staff.

Dirk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B...... S. I just don't trust this coaching staff.

I don't trust the coaching staff either, but Clausen is the one that reported the symptoms to the team afterwords.
I just don't think this is a case of "Hey Jimmy, do us a favor and head to the trainers with a concussion will ya?"

A little weird that it onset after, but not unheard of. and totally not surprising considering the hit that did it.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,056.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw this on NFL Live.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't trust the coaching staff either, but Clausen is the one that reported the symptoms to the team afterwords.
I just don't think this is a case of "Hey Jimmy, do us a favor and head to the trainers with a concussion will ya?"

A little weird that it onset after, but not unheard of. and totally not surprising considering the hit that did it.

OK... then I believe it. For the record... I loved him going after Ansah afterwards. Showed some real passion. But if you didn't tell me Clausen self-reported symptoms, I would have had a hard time believing this wasn't some screwball intra-team political gamesmanship on Trestman's part.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Concussions are weird, cuz a lot of the time yer so fucked that ya don't know yer fucked.

I fooled a doctor once up the ski slopes into allowing me to drive down the canyon. I do not recall any of it.

Goddamned stupid friends.

Dirk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK... then I believe it. For the record... I loved him going after Ansah afterwards. Showed some real passion. But if you didn't tell me Clausen self-reported symptoms, I would have had a hard time believing this wasn't some screwball intra-team political gamesmanship on Trestman's part.

oh yeah, I'm with you on that. The only thing that saves some bit of credibility/truth is that Clausen reported it monday after waking up.

C

cubzzzfanincali

What I'm not grasping is, since the Trestman/cutler era is obviously over, season is over, why on earth don't we start fales instead since it doesn't matter anyway. What's the point of risking cutler, whether we keep or trade him?

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont believe the Trestman Cutler era is over. Cant afford it to be over unless someone wants to pay everything owed and give us picks. Cutler is just trying to do too much. He is going into the plays with the mindset of this wont work I need to change it. Marshall was on his show yesterday on ESPN, said this is home now, was not 100% behind cutler when asked if he would ask to be traded if Jay is traded. Said the sports writers were all over jay when he was too vocal, too emotional, said Jay went to the other end of the scale. Said all he needs to do is find some place in the middle.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I'm not grasping is, since the Trestman/cutler era is obviously over, season is over, why on earth don't we start fales instead since it doesn't matter anyway. What's the point of risking cutler, whether we keep or trade him?

It makes no sense. I think Bears management just wants to keep their fingerprints off of everything on the field at this point so they aren't associated with Trestman (except for the fact that they HIRED HIM!) and this is 100% Trestman's call and he has no long term stake in the outcome.

You're right though, at this point what's best for the organization is to see what Fales can do and also give him a bite at the apple so if he is needed as a backup next year, he'll be less likely to wet the bed.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, this is a mindfuck.

Sadly, this tells me that neither are going anywhere. If they had any intention of parting ways with Cutler, risking injury to him in a meaningless game is a very dumb idea.

I thought it was nuts that they had him as the No. 2 QB this last game!? This is just bizarre.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What can I say, last week I said Claussen would only be given one game and Cutler would get a chance to play better, something that he could build on over the offseason.

Honestly, even if Claussen was not concussed, I still expected Jay in this game. I was hoping it was with a shorter leash, but it gives you the opportunity to see if Jay is even able to see what he was doing wrong. I guess we see how many drops there are this week. Better to use a meaningless game on that than game one of next season.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only good thing I can say is, none of this really ultimately matters. The next decade of this franchise's success or failure is going to be determined by the next coaching hire... it doesn't matter whether we're drafting 7th or 11th, and while I think we could get better faster by keeping Jay for a year or two while pouring our resources into the defense... that probably matters very little as well, especially relative to the new coach and (hopefully) new culture with this team.

But it would be great if we can make an informed decision on David Fales by seeing him play a for real game. And if he is any good... the experience will make him more prepared for when his number gets called in the future.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why the decision to bench Jay last week was so odd. If they waited for this week. I could see going to Fales now... meaningless game, win and pick 11 vs lose and pick 7. And the Bears, media, and Jay could all get behind the idea... Much more reasonable and make more sense for the team. (of course this dysfunctional mess couldn't do that)

Injury to Cutler- if he's hurt and can't pass a physical they can't release or trade him based on contract language: pulls a hamstring, bangs his thumb on a helmet, whatever. 2015 $ becomes fully guaranteed on March 12th.

thunderspirit

KFFL expatriate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why the decision to bench Jay last week was so odd. If they waited for this week. I could see going to Fales now... meaningless game, win and pick 11 vs lose and pick 7. And the Bears, media, and Jay could all get behind the idea... Much more reasonable and make more sense for the team. (of course this dysfunctional mess couldn't do that)

Injury to Cutler- if he's hurt and can't pass a physical they can't release or trade him based on contract language: pulls a hamstring, bangs his thumb on a helmet, whatever. 2015 $ becomes fully guaranteed on March 12th.
Not to mention: to trade Cutler, he needs to be a healthy QB. Which is pretty much why Trestman should've been fired on the spot when he announced that Cutler was the #2 behind Claussen.

Seriously: the Bears should've stopped the conference at that point, walked out, took the mic from in front of Trestman and said, "No. Just no. Marc Trestman has been relieved of his duties as head coach of the team effective immediately. We're promoting anyone who's not dumb enough to keep Cutler as #2 after benching him."

And it's why he should be fired the moment he says Cutler will start instead of Fales in Minnesota.

:L

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention: to trade Cutler, he needs to be a healthy QB. Which is pretty much why Trestman should've been fired on the spot when he announced that Cutler was the #2 behind Claussen.

Seriously: the Bears should've stopped the conference at that point, walked out, took the mic from in front of Trestman and said, "No. Just no. Marc Trestman has been relieved of his duties as head coach of the team effective immediately. We're promoting anyone who's not dumb enough to keep Cutler as #2 after benching him."

And it's why he should be fired the moment he says Cutler will start instead of Fales in Minnesota.

:L

The whole reason why all of this seems so strange is we're using the premise that the decision to bench Cutler in the first place had anything to do with what was best for the team. If that was the case, you're right... he wouldn't have been no. 2 last week and he wouldn't be starting this week OR he wouldn't have been benched at all. But this is all about a coach making a case for himself at the expense of what's best for the team. He doesn't want to go to Fales and remind fans about guys like Steve Stenstrom or Hank Burris. He wanted to put Clausen in front of the Lions where if he succeeded he could say "see my offense does work" and if he didn't he could say "it was because it was the Lion's top defense" and then he wanted to go back to Jay so if he fails against the Vikings he could say "see, it's Jay, not me" and if he succeeds he could say "yeah... but it was the Vikings." He's just trying to show up Emery and make himself the tallest midget. What he's really doing is insulting the intelligence of most fans.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know, what difference would it make if Fales starts against Minny and has a great game. Everyone would call it a fluke anyway. I am pretty sure the bears learned what they wanted to, Claussen is a competent backup that will manage a game and might even help you win if the receivers hold onto the ball. They will still try to low ball Claussen to stay as the backup, it will be an Orton decision on whether he wants to stay or go somewhere he has a chance to play.

Either way you look at it, backup quarterback is a question that needed to be answered.

thunderspirit

KFFL expatriate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's just trying to show up Emery and make himself the tallest midget. What he's really doing is insulting the intelligence of most fans.
And working against the best interests of the team.
Which, again, is why he should've been fired as soon as the decision to fire him was made.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And working against the best interests of the team.
Which, again, is why he should've been fired as soon as the decision to fire him was made.

You're absolutely right. Once the biggest decision maker on the battlefield is no longer a long term stakeholder, it is time to get a new decision maker.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Come on, Cubz… don't you know the Trestman way?

All starting jobs are performance based!

JAY HAD A GREAT WEEK OF PRACTICE!

:suds: