• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CJ to retire ?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't stand when people point to Calvin for not restructuring when we have no idea what went on in the Suh talks. IMO, the fact there were only two teams bidding on Suh tells us he was going to the highest bidder. If that is the case, what is Calvin supposed to do? Restructure just to restructure? Loved Suh as a player, but I think he'd play in the CFL if a team offered him 20 million a year.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're 54-90 since CJ was drafted #2 overall. Crazy.

God Mayhew was garbage.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't stand when people point to Calvin for not restructuring when we have no idea what went on in the Suh talks. IMO, the fact there were only two teams bidding on Suh tells us he was going to the highest bidder. If that is the case, what is Calvin supposed to do? Restructure just to restructure? Loved Suh as a player, but I think he'd play in the CFL if a team offered him 20 million a year.

At the same time you are defending CJ here for me prejudging on something I'm not 100% aware of, you're bashing Suh when you really don't know either. There were other teams. They backed rather quickly. A player of Suhs caliber isn't wanted by just one other team. Nobody knows the story. You give your opinions and I'll keep saying mine.

I'm not a fan of people who keep saying Suh went to the highest bidder. We don't know what transpired in the talks, do we? Suh did what every guy on this board would have done. Followed the money.

You think only two teams called his agent. Nice fact bro!

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a huge surprise but I think he plays 1 more year. Lions may not want to pay him though. It would solve the money dilemma if he retires.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No reason for Calvin to restructure, he was the only bright spot on this team for years. He earned the money.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think many teams contacted his Suh's agent. And I think many teams hung up when his asking price was talked about. If there were more than two teams vying for Suh before he signed, it would have been all over the news. Two teams were willing to overpay for him and went to the team who offered more. Doesn't take much to figure out if he was going to the highest bidder or not. With Calvin there'd be no reason to restructure unless Suh was to re-sign -- if u want to point out someone's greed, he plays in Miami. The one you are calling out signed an extension to stay in Detroit

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a huge surprise but I think he plays 1 more year. Lions may not want to pay him though. It would solve the money dilemma if he retires.
If he were to retire, were on the hook for the same as if we cut him, right?

This could just be another Caughlin situation, in reality. (Or it could be CJ strong arming the Fords to keep this Jim.)

Or CJ might really want to be done, idk.

I wish him the best no matter what though. Hope it isn't ugly like when Barry hung em up cuz Batch was locked in.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think many teams contacted his Suh's agent. And I think many teams hung up when his asking price was talked about. If there were more than two teams vying for Suh before he signed, it would have been all over the news. Two teams were willing to overpay for him and went to the team who offered more. Doesn't take much to figure out if he was going to the highest bidder or not. With Calvin there'd be no reason to restructure unless Suh was to re-sign -- if u want to point out someone's greed, he plays in Miami. The one you are calling out signed an extension to stay in Detroit
No Miami talk, you should know this by now.

TPaul will never stop proving his point if you keep it up.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

they could go after that bonus money from what I read. as in asking for it back. not sure if it's all of that 13M or not. haven't looked at all the specifics

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, the fact there were only two teams bidding on Suh tells us he was going to the highest bidder

fact or merely only two teams were reported as bidding for his services. huge difference, imo

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they could go after that bonus money from what I read. as in asking for it back. not sure if it's all of that 13M or not. haven't looked at all the specifics
That would get ugly.

Hope they wouldn't do that, if it comes down to it. But I also think he was going to get cut. And that would be ugly too.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there were more than two teams vying for Suh before he signed, it would have been all over the news

vying ? inquiring ? asking ? you're still going off media reports trustme.

NFL RUMORS: Where Will Ndamukong Suh Land in Free Agency?
"Among those in play, the sources said, if Suh hits the open market? The Jacksonville Jaguars, Cleveland Browns and Oakland Raiders - the three teams expected to have the most cash to spend in free agency.

"The New York Jets were also expected to show interest...The Falcons were also named as a team that is expected to be interested."

NFL Free Agency RUMORS: Ndamukong Suh -- Miami Dolphins, Indianapolis Colts Vying For His Services?

According to reports, the Dolphins and Colts are the two top teams vying for his rights.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fact or not, TrustMe, we as fans have no actual facts to rely upon and won't. all we have is what is reported by media which includes all the damn BS Lewand and Mayhew and Coaches threw out there that the media gobbled up and put in writing.

hard to attempt to state facts unless you're right there in all rooms of current on-going negotiations all the way around

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fact or merely only two teams were reported as bidding for his services. huge difference, imo

If there were more, with today's social media presence, it would have been reported immediately, IMO. Also, the fact he didn't visit many teams facilities says, either Suh didn't want to play there or the teams weren't paying a king's ransom for a DT.

Personally -- I think it is silly to call out Calvin for something when Suh left on his own free will.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would get ugly.

Hope they wouldn't do that, if it comes down to it. But I also think he was going to get cut. And that would be ugly too.

they ate money for Jahvid Best and helped him all in the same for years of service.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got blasted for this thread in October of 2013:

Trade Calvin | SportsHoopla Sports Forums

Calvin was too hurt to play week 4 vs Green Bay. While I probably didn't handle it properly at the time, I saw this coming long ago.

More proof Mayhew was the worst GM in history, failing to have the foresight to see a guy nearing the end of his career due to injuries, and deciding to keep him over Suh. Soon we will have lost both.

Anyways, can't blame him.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Could Lions' Calvin Johnson walk away from the NFL?
If Johnson retires, the Lions could seek repayment of as much as $9.7 million in bonus money, according to a person who has reviewed Johnson's complicated contract and works with NFL deals. The person requested anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the topic.