• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

CJ to retire ?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It surely hasn't been confirmed, however, reading into some of his answers to questions asked by media and actions on the field (doesn't keep all those TD footballs) it may very well be a likely scenario.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some quotes or statements regarding this possibility

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2016/01/06/calvin-johnson-retire-detroit-lions/78356832/

"There has been some conversations about it, not asking me how it is," said one former teammate who asked to remain anonymous because of the personal nature of his talks with Johnson. "But I think the guy's beat up. I think he's been through enough. And I think it's just his time. He's made the money, got the records, but whatever. I don't know for sure if he's going to do it. I don't know if he's going to get that itch to keep going. I really don't know."

Johnson did not respond to interview requests for this story by email nor through the team. His agent, Bus Cook, also was not immediately available for comment.

Johnson hinted last month that injuries were wearing on him physically.

"I mean, I'm feeling all right. Leave it at that," he said when asked to describe his health a few days before a Monday night game against the New Orleans Saints.

He's sent other mixed messages, too, talking optimistically at times about the Lions' future after ending the season on a three-game winning streak, but keeping the footballs after he scored touchdowns in each of the Lions' last two games.

"Sometimes I keep them, sometimes I don't," Johnson explained.

Asked after Sunday's season-ending win over the Chicago Bears whether he considered the possibility that it might have been his last game as a Lion, Johnson said, "Ah, man, you never know."

"I don't have anything to contemplate, really," he said. "Just really, just, I guess you wait and see."

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I certainly could understand the reasoning should he decide to retire. He's had so much success early on and now the injuries are starting to add up.

He's a future HOF and has made over 100M in his career. Why risk any future permanent debilitating injury.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like a Jackie Robinson scenerio. If he is still on the Lions next year he is still playing, if he gets traded he will retire instead of playing elsewhere.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seems more like the Barry Sander's situation, imo.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should take a year off to heal up physically and mentally.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calvin Johnson - Detroit Lions - 2016 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

Calvin Johnson released a statement Wednesday confirming he is considering retiring from the NFL this offseason.
"Like many players at this stage of their career, I am currently evaluating options for my future," Johnson said. "I would expect to have a decision regarding this matter in the not-too-distant future." Set to turn 31 this year (in September) and coming off myriad injury-plagued seasons, Johnson simply seems worn down. Hopefully he'll sit down, rest up, and decide to continue his career after his body heals. But it's clear that this could be it for Megatron. Jan 6 - 2:25 PM

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lions chase a second all time great to early retirement I am out. Never even been to that fucking state, just a fan because I loved watching Barry as a kid.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will respect any decision he makes. It's his life and his body.

I will say at times this year when others questioned if he had quit? Maybe in his head and heart he had.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lions chase a second all time great to early retirement I am out. Never even been to that fucking state, just a fan because I loved watching Barry as a kid.

I won't say it's them chasing him. That's if it's for health reasons. He's taken his fair share of big hits over the years.

Could see your stance that the franchise failed him.

Just remember last year when he said "I will do what it takes to keep Suh in Detroit" and then never stepped up to make sure he did indeed help keep him here. So when you want to blame it all on CJ, he also had a chance to prove he wanted to be a winner also.

I won't be able to put it all on the franchise. That's just me.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't say it's them chasing him. That's if it's for health reasons. He's taken his fair share of big hits over the years.

Could see your stance that the franchise failed him.

Just remember last year when he said "I will do what it takes to keep Suh in Detroit" and then never stepped up to make sure he did indeed help keep him here. So when you want to blame it all on CJ, he also had a chance to prove he wanted to be a winner also.

I won't be able to put it all on the franchise. That's just me.

I just wish I had been born in a state that had a home team, take all that away from me. It seems like a blessing to be able to pick your team based on favorite player, but then you are a fan of Sanders and Garnett.........

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Herman Moore was prolly better though. Even though nobody thinks so. Great hands on Moore, CJ not so much.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like a Jackie Robinson scenerio. If he is still on the Lions next year he is still playing, if he gets traded he will retire instead of playing elsewhere.
It's not like CJ is tanking his trade value though. He didn't have any already.

But I don't blame a player of his caliber for preventing a trade at this point in his career. There's no need for him to play anywhere unless he chooses. If he chooses to at all.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Herman Moore was prolly better though. Even though nobody thinks so. Great hands on Moore, CJ not so much.

I almost got banned from this board for arguing Moore was better a few years ago. I said at the time that CJ had to have 1 more great year to past Moore, which he did. If CJ were to go right now I would say he is the best WR the Lions have had, but Moore is a closer second than most people think.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moore was a bad ass, and he did it with Scott Mitchell.......... He should be in the HoF soon

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I almost got banned from this board for arguing Moore was better a few years ago. I said at the time that CJ had to have 1 more great year to past Moore, which he did. If CJ were to go right now I would say he is the best WR the Lions have had, but Moore is a closer second than most people think.
I think its really close between those two. The game has changed some in the last twenty years But Moore did catch the beginning of this phase. (That one year he blew up so did a lot of receivers.). Like Mebert said, it was with Mitchell, that is impressive. (Mitchell is the opposite of Staff in so many ways. Especially being tough.)

Two great players at the same position. And two really good people.