• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chris Houston released

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad Houston was cut, so it will force young guys onto the field and into roles so we can see if they have the talent to be a quality player in the NFL. It is a win/win situation for the team. If the young guys prove they have what it takes -- Detroit can get them valuable game experience. If they get torched and we end up picking guys off the street to start in our secondary -- it will force our front office to do something about it in the draft or free agency.

Personally -- I think Detroit is going to have a rough go this year. I don't see Bentley being a viable starter in the NFL. Greenwood is a tremendous athlete, but everything they have wrote about him in OTA's is that he is struggling and I honestly just have a hard time seeing a player from the MIAA making the jump and being a quality starter in the NFL. I would LOVE to be wrong about him though, as his speed and size is what team's drool over for CB's in today's NFL.

:agree: again... fuck the stars are alligning. The first statement is me in a nutshell.

Partially agree with the second. I need to see what exactly Austin and his scheme bring. Good coaches scheme to strengths and are able to help cover others up. I still know at some point the secondary will cost Lions a win. On paper so far Austin seems to not have a FUCKING VANILLA scheme:gaah: moving guys around and more pressure. <<<< pressure is the part that scares the ever living shit out of me. Can the DB's hold coverage.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On paper so far Austin seems to not have a FUCKING VANILLA scheme
gaah.gif
moving guys around and more pressure. <<<< pressure is the part that scares the ever living shit out of me. Can the DB's hold coverage.

Would agree that the Lions D being 31st in sacks didn't do the secondary any favors last season. Don't know how much of that was scheme, but I'm glad that Gunther and the wide-nine are gone.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turnovers is what derailed the season not defense. We do need some CBs though. They just need to be average though with our front 7. The sacks were a result of an adjustment to the scheme where we went to 2 LBs and 5 DBs to compensate for the lack of talent at CB. Cant just rush 4 every play against 6 or 7 blockers and expect to register many sacks.

Time to let the pigeons loose!

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turnovers is what derailed the season not defense.

Would agree that turnovers were a bigger problem.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would agree that turnovers were a bigger problem.

Turnovers is what derailed the season not defense. We do need some CBs though. They just need to be average though with our front 7. The sacks were a result of an adjustment to the scheme where we went to 2 LBs and 5 DBs to compensate for the lack of talent at CB. Cant just rush 4 every play against 6 or 7 blockers and expect to register many sacks.

Time to let the pigeons loose!

Disagree... Turnovers on offense help to mask a problem in secondary. Yes the TO's hurt. Still does take away there are issues on defense.

Anything you can say is they both played there part, as did the timely drops.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree... Turnovers on offense help to mask a problem in secondary. Yes the TO's hurt. Still does take away there are issues on defense.

Anything you can say is they both played there part, as did the timely drops.

:wtf:

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old Lion if you blame last seasons woes on just turnovers from offense you IMO are wrong and cover issues with secondary.

Akers totally sucking last year was a issue Can you blame another flaw on the kicking game? No, so don't just blame the offense for woes.

Last edited by a moderator:

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking you meant: Levy's picks helped to mask the shittiness on the secondary. Which made sense to me. And since Im not banking on DeAndre being at the right place at the right time as often, we may just find out the true ineptitude on the back four. Whoever they happened to be from play to play.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old Lion if you blame last seasons woes on just turnovers from offense you IMO are wrong and cover issues with secondary.

Akers totally sucking last year was a issue Can you blame another flaw on the kicking game? No, so don't just blame the offense for woes.

Defense played much better than offense in the second half of the year. Not only did the offense turn the ball over, they did not score as much in many games. I think Stafford was second only to Shaub in pick sixes

You still did not explain how offensive turnovers masks the problems in the secondary.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defense played much better than offense in the second half of the year. Not only did the offense turn the ball over, they did not score as much in many games. I think Stafford was second only to Shaub in pick sixes

You still did not explain how offensive turnovers masks the problems in the secondary.

What I am saying is if you deflect issues. Both were issues, don't kid yourself is what I am saying. So just saying innate offense is why they struggled is part but not whole issue.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking you meant: Levy's picks helped to mask the shittiness on the secondary. Which made sense to me. And since Im not banking on DeAndre being at the right place at the right time as often, we may just find out the true ineptitude on the back four. Whoever they happened to be from play to play.

Ineptitude is winner for big word Monday. All is good Smitty, we have a osprey in secondary now and suddenly Stafford will be fixed.