• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Celtics '21'22 - The Jay's Team

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize teams don't usually hold teams under 100 in today's NBA right? 105ish is more realistic
Sure... I don't expect it every game or on average... I just want to see this group live up to their potential on that end.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are these Celtics jerseys their alternate or is it the new home unis? 2nd time I see them wearing it

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are my observations through 6 games:
  • A 2-4 start is less than ideal, obviously. We've had 3 overtime games (2 double OT) so the margin of error is small.
  • Defensive intensity has to become more consistent. Really, it has to become our calling card again. There have been a couple of games this year where we simply got out-worked by the opponent. This team isn't good enough to just show up and get wins.
  • There has been some flux with guys in and out of the line-up going back to the preseason that has lingered into the regular season. But most teams deal with that.
  • Our top-2 (the Jay's) have been very inconsistent from game to game.
  • Some of the role players are showing encouraging signs... notably: Romeo Langford, RWIII and Grant Williams.
  • But overall, we're not seeing team cohension and identity yet.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let’s go boyzzzzzzzzzzzzz. It all starts tonight.
Hey Logic, I watched the game. Am I wrong, or are they missing a Kyrie or Kemba type of PG/SG?

There just seems to be a piece that either doesn't fit or is missing. Not that some chintzy officiating didn't seem to constantly take away any momentum they were starting to generate.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our top-2 (the Jay's) have been very inconsistent from game to game.
It seems that when one starts lighting it up, the other doesn't play. Brown scores 46 and Ttum scores 8, Tatum scores 52 and Brown scores 12.

Both players have said that having Covid has literally killed their ability to bounce back after a strenuous game. Brown said that after a game he needs two full days to feel even close to normal. Tatum said that he still feels the effects a year after and needs to sit for ten minutes in the middle of a game.

If I'm the coach, I don't let them play for more than 12 minutes straight before I sit them. If they have to come out five or six times as game, so be it. Best have someone on the bench that can fill the void for five minutes.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Logic, I watched the game. Am I wrong, or are they missing a Kyrie or Kemba type of PG/SG?

There just seems to be a piece that either doesn't fit or is missing. Not that some chintzy officiating didn't seem to constantly take away any momentum they were starting to generate.
I think it's too early to say that the PG position is a problem.

What has been most glaring to me is the inconsistent effort on the defensive end. No excuse for that, and it is a problem that has spanned multiple seasons now.

Too often, this team just shows up and they don't bring piss and grit with them.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's too early to say that the PG position is a problem.

What has been most glaring to me is the inconsistent effort on the defensive end. No excuse for that, and it is a problem that has spanned multiple seasons now.

Too often, this team just shows up and they don't bring piss and grit with them.

I watched last night, but have not seen any other Celtic games this season.

I do not think that the PG position is specifically a problem, per say. Schroeder is a solid player and Smart (while not really a PG) is a key role player you are missing currently.

The problem, IMO is that Brown and Tatum, while both all star caliber players, are not enough to raise the Celtics to the level of contender. When they were close, they had Kyrie + Kemba + Hayward.

And while all those players disappointed in their own particular way, I do think you need that 3rd dynamic offensive player to go with Tatum and Brown. And I don’t see it on your roster.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I do not think that the PG position is specifically a problem, per say. Schroeder is a solid player and Smart (while not really a PG) is a key role player you are missing currently.

The problem, IMO is that Brown and Tatum, while both all star caliber players, are not enough to raise the Celtics to the level of contender. When they were close, they had Kyrie + Kemba + Hayward.

And while all those players disappointed in their own particular way, I do think you need that 3rd dynamic offensive player to go with Tatum and Brown. And I don’t see it on your roster.
To be a championship contender, you are probably right.

Effort was better last night. As it should have been, because they just lost to the Wizards the game before and the coach specifically called out their effort after that loss.

In other games this season, the effort was poor. The Toronto loss at home in which we got blown out of the building is a perfect example.

Regarding the Jay's and offense... I don't think talent is our problem on that end as much as it is execution. Too often, we try to rely on individual talent to score as opposed to playing team basketball.

Furthermore, when we're not playing with effort on the defensive end we're not generating the easier offense that flows from good defense... and our whole product suffers.

This Celtics team has to play strong defense in order to win consistently.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Smart a liability as a PG.

And as GMan says zero defense

It’s a disaster

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Somewhat agree

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart a liability as a PG.
Too early to jump to that conclusion, IMO.

As a platoon, I think are PG triumvirate is more than adequate. They're not gonna win games by themselves, but if the rest of the machine is working (the Jay's and our defense) they're gonna support winning.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too early to jump to that conclusion, IMO.

As a platoon, I think are PG triumvirate is more than adequate. They're not gonna win games by themselves, but if the rest of the machine is working (the Jay's and our defense) they're gonna support winning.
Watched Schroeder pass up a clear shot at end to hand to Brown double covered then stripped. We don’t have a confident PG to spread and shoot

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched Schroeder pass up a clear shot at end to hand to Brown double covered then stripped. We don’t have a confident PG to spread and shoot
And in a seperate game, Smart confidently hit a 3 pt shot at the end of regulation to send it into OT.

We're 2-4, so the glass is half empty... I still say it's too early to draw such conclusions, and the inconsistent effort on defense is the greatest concern.

LogicMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And in a seperate game, Smart confidently hit a 3 pt shot at the end of regulation to send it into OT.

We're 2-4, so the glass is half empty... I still say it's too early to draw such conclusions, and the inconsistent effort on defense is the greatest concern.
If you are relying on smart to take a game winning jumper we r in trouble

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's just me, but there doesn't seem to be any "spark" off the bench or in the starting five. Maybe it's a lack of a real 'take over' leader.

There's just something lacking and it's not defense or offense. I just haven't seen anyone take control when they need a leader to start directing guys in a critical part of a game.

Am I wrong?? Or am I missing something??

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are relying on smart to take a game winning jumper we r in trouble
To a great extent, you have to take what the defense and opportunity gives you... I'd be fine with the C's relying on each other instead of relying on an individual to play hero ball.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's just me, but there doesn't seem to be any "spark" off the bench or in the starting five. Maybe it's a lack of a real 'take over' leader.

There's just something lacking and it's not defense or offense. I just haven't seen anyone take control when they need a leader to start directing guys in a critical part of a game.

Am I wrong?? Or am I missing something??
Part of the problem is that we've been missing players almost every game.

So Schroder has been starting. Ideally, Schroder would be that "spark" off the bench.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of the problem is that we've been missing players almost every game.

So Schroder has been starting. Ideally, Schroder would be that "spark" off the bench.

Yeah, I think Schroder will ultimately be just fine for you guys. His problem with the Lakers was that the injuries last year, especially to Lebron, forced him into a different, much bigger role than what he was signed for.

Add to that, the pressure of trying to show he deserved more than the extension he turned down and trying to learn a bunch of new teammates, he looked like he just never found the right role to be a good fit.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think Schroder will ultimately be just fine for you guys. His problem with the Lakers was that the injuries last year, especially to Lebron, forced him into a different, much bigger role than what he was signed for.

Add to that, the pressure of trying to show he deserved more than the extension he turned down and trying to learn a bunch of new teammates, he looked like he just never found the right role to be a good fit.
Theoretically, Schroder's fit with the Celtics is amazing: 6th man, bench scoring, he can run an offense from the PG position... he's just what the doctor ordered.

Theory hasn't translated to reality yet for the C's as a whole... but it's early.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theoretically, Schroder's fit with the Celtics is amazing: 6th man, bench scoring, he can run an offense from the PG position... he's just what the doctor ordered.

Theory hasn't translated to reality yet for the C's as a whole... but it's early.

Yup.

It also put them over the tax line, and took away minutes from Pritchard.

which makes it even tougher that it’s not working