• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cavs interested in Pierce

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dan Gilbert is a clown, but I think you are right on this one Sox. If elite FAs think that Cleveland gives them a chance to win a title and they have the cap space to pay, they will at least consider it an option. Kyrie Irving is one of the most exciting young stars in the league. They need to hit on one more pick and they will be a key FA away.
I think the business savvy of the average NBA player is growing. Gilberts reaction was unprofessional and childish. When you factor in that they couldn't or wouldn't get Lebron help while he was there and the lifestyle of the Cleveland area, Gilberts actions pretty much ensured no big time FA is going to go there. If no one came there while Lebron was there what makes you think someone would come because of Kyrie?

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the business savvy of the average NBA player is growing. Gilberts reaction was unprofessional and childish. When you factor in that they couldn't or wouldn't get Lebron help while he was there and the lifestyle of the Cleveland area, Gilberts actions pretty much ensured no big time FA is going to go there. If no one came there while Lebron was there what makes you think someone would come because of Kyrie?

Cleveland never pursued big name FAs while Lebron was there. They've also been drafting exponentially better lately, and hopefully that trend will continue.

As someone who lives in NE Ohio, I can say that while it isn't the greatest city in the world, it's easy to live in. You also have a major airport for if you wanna get away. You can also live a lot larger for your dollar here while still enjoying some decent amenities. It's not LA or Chicago, but I'd rather live here than Houston or Phoenix or Milwaukee.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we will find out in 2014.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dan Gilbert is a clown, but I think you are right on this one Sox. If elite FAs think that Cleveland gives them a chance to win a title and they have the cap space to pay, they will at least consider it an option. Kyrie Irving is one of the most exciting young stars in the league. They need to hit on one more pick and they will be a key FA away.

That's my point. You can see it in sports. Detroit is a shithole, yet the Tigers have attracted some big names there because they have an amazing fanbase, money, and great young players. The Packers and Steelers never have problems retaining talent, and I'd hardly call Green Bay or Pittsburgh destination cities. It's all about how you sell yourself as an organization.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleveland never pursued big name FAs while Lebron was there. They've also been drafting exponentially better lately, and hopefully that trend will continue.

As someone who lives in NE Ohio, I can say that while it isn't the greatest city in the world, it's easy to live in. You also have a major airport for if you wanna get away. You can also live a lot larger for your dollar here while still enjoying some decent amenities. It's not LA or Chicago, but I'd rather live here than Houston or Phoenix or Milwaukee.
That was not meant as a slap at the Cleveland area. I personally have never been there but others from the area have told me its not the destination of choice.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this one goes down as undeniable proof that LeBron made the right decision.

Dan Gilbert is a clown.

END THREAD/

There is no reason to discuss moves being made or contemplated by the Cavs and other such bottom dwelling franchises other than as self validation that you did not like the move or as a funny yet cruel joke Gilbert and GMs like him continue to play on their fans.

The joke will stop being funny when the fans stop buying it, until then LMAOROTFF!!!! I do not feel bad for the second time some one is abused in a relationship nor will I console them if they remain in the relationship.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is false. They DID pursue big name FAs, and used Lebron to make the pitch. They got laughed at because players in essence didn't want to live in Cleveland.

We'll all find out.......but the truth is something I don't think you want to face.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if the Cavs bring Pierce in that would be a step in the right direction. Cleveland hasnt had a big name star out there since James left.

How would 1 year from Pierce help?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blaming Dan Gilbert for FA problems is like blaming a fat girl for being upset that all of the guys are hitting on her friends. The issue isn't that Gilbert got upset. The issue is that Cleveland is a fat girl in a league where there aren't that many title contenders.

NBA players try to find every advantage and loophole like a giant corporation. You either have to be in a massive media market for shoe deals or you have to be in Texas or Florida due to tax advantages. The NBA is very ironically a league that resembles current economics. NFL is much closer to the Democrats. MLB much closer to the GOP/libertarian.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is false. They DID pursue big name FAs, and used Lebron to make the pitch. They got laughed at because players in essence didn't want to live in Cleveland.

We'll all find out.......but the truth is something I don't think you want to face.

No, they really didn't. If you can think of one and find me the quote saying they didn't want to live in Cleveland, please do.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now I will throw this out thar. If they trade the #1 for a big name player like Love or Aldridge, who are young talented players for future building. I wouldn't have a problem with them getting Pierce for a year or two.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, they really didn't. If you can think of one and find me the quote saying they didn't want to live in Cleveland, please do.

HOW do you think they signed Shaq? They used Lebron to make the pitch!

Lebron attempted to recruit Bosh and was laughed at. That's why he left.......he couldn't get them to come to Cleveland.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HOW do you think they signed Shaq? They used Lebron to make the pitch!

Lebron attempted to recruit Bosh and was laughed at. That's why he left.......he couldn't get them to come to Cleveland.

So Lebron was able to get Shaq to come to Cleveland. How does prove your point?

Bosh didn't want to play in Cleveland for a variety of reasons, not only because it was Cleveland. He ultimately wanted to play with the Big 3, and there's no way Cleveland could've paid all 3 of them. He also didn't want to play center, something Cleveland would've likely wanted him to do. However, I'm still waiting where you hear he was "laughed at". You sound like a common troll when you say shit like that. Chris Bosh is not the type of person who would laugh at Lebron telling him to do something.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Lebron was able to get Shaq to come to Cleveland. How does prove your point?

Bosh didn't want to play in Cleveland for a variety of reasons, not only because it was Cleveland. He ultimately wanted to play with the Big 3, and there's no way Cleveland could've paid all 3 of them. He also didn't want to play center, something Cleveland would've likely wanted him to do. However, I'm still waiting where you hear he was "laughed at". You sound like a common troll when you say shit like that. Chris Bosh is not the type of person who would laugh at Lebron telling him to do something.
I'll jump in and answer. Shaq was going downhill fast at that point due to injuries and was not a top tier player. This was Shaqs last chance at getting close to a title. I dont think Star meant Bosh literally laughed but he definitely was not coming to Cleveland.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll jump in and answer. Shaq was going downhill fast at that point due to injuries and was not a top tier player. This was Shaqs last chance at getting close to a title. I dont think Star meant Bosh literally laughed but he definitely was not coming to Cleveland.

I understand that, I was just wondering why he even brought Shaq up, as it didn't really pertain to either point.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that, I was just wondering why he even brought Shaq up, as it didn't really pertain to either point.

I brought him up because Lebron was the one they used to pitch Shaq.

They used Lebron to ATTEMPT to get a number of FAs and got turned down every time. Joakim Noah said it best in that Cleveland was a dump. Players are simply not interested in playing there.

Top tier FAs are looking at the flashier markets, like east or west coast. Hell not even Dallas has been able to attract major FAs, and they're a major city with tons of upside, an owner willing to spend, and have won a title.

All I'm saying is that there is very little attractive to ANY key FA in going to Cleveland. Their best bets are going to be trades and drafting well. I don't think money is going to matter.......a player still has to LIVE there part of the year.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I brought him up because Lebron was the one they used to pitch Shaq.

They used Lebron to ATTEMPT to get a number of FAs and got turned down every time. Joakim Noah said it best in that Cleveland was a dump. Players are simply not interested in playing there.

Top tier FAs are looking at the flashier markets, like east or west coast. Hell not even Dallas has been able to attract major FAs, and they're a major city with tons of upside, an owner willing to spend, and have won a title.

All I'm saying is that there is very little attractive to ANY key FA in going to Cleveland. Their best bets are going to be trades and drafting well. I don't think money is going to matter.......a player still has to LIVE there part of the year.

I'll ask you again - send me some sort of link to all of these FAs that Cleveland has whiffed at because they don't want to live in Cleveland, and show me them saying "I didn't go to Cleveland because I can't live in a dump like that."

It's not a glamorous city, and I've already said that. I understand why other cities have more appeal. All I'm saying is that not EVERY single player has that mindset, and you've basically taken maybe one or 2 examples of a player not coming to Cleveland and now say they have no chance of signing ANY free agents, which as I've pointed out is quite the opposite of reality in sports.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll ask you again - send me some sort of link to all of these FAs that Cleveland has whiffed at because they don't want to live in Cleveland, and show me them saying "I didn't go to Cleveland because I can't live in a dump like that."

It's not a glamorous city, and I've already said that. I understand why other cities have more appeal. All I'm saying is that not EVERY single player has that mindset, and you've basically taken maybe one or 2 examples of a player not coming to Cleveland and now say they have no chance of signing ANY free agents, which as I've pointed out is quite the opposite of reality in sports.

Not once did I say they can't get ANY free agents. I said they won't get any big name, MAJOR free agents. They can get the Mo Williams types of players......but they aren't getting an in their prime star player........they're looking at role players.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, I lived in Cleveland. Nobody wants to hear it, but FAs are not lining up to go to Cleveland....IN ANY SPORT. Not football, baseball, or basketball.

The only way they're going to build that team is through the draft or trades.

Not once did I say they can't get ANY free agents. I said they won't get any big name, MAJOR free agents. They can get the Mo Williams types of players......but they aren't getting an in their prime star player........they're looking at role players.

I can't agree with that. I might as well just stop the whole "they've tried so many times to attract free agents and so many have turned them down" thing you are trying at. They flat out haven't gone after them. I know that, you're just trying to use a generalization to make up a truth that just isn't there. They lost out on Lebron and Bosh because they all wanted to play together with Wade and Cleveland, while also not likely to get the nod over Miami, couldn't afford all 3. Other than that, Cleveland has not tried going after any big name free agents in many, many years. I know it's popular to rag on Cleveland, and they are a small market. However, using 1 Joakim Noah soundbyte hardly paints the picture for the entire league.