• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cardinals vs Giants, Cruz fumble - Refs made right call IMO...

rolltide14_0

~V--I--P~
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,833.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the guy hadn't been touched, but it wasn't like he was standing back up with the intention of continuing the play. He got up and casually released the ball as normal, and started heading back to the huddle. I think it was a good call by the refs, but I also agree with the guy that said this incident saved Cruz from his own stupidity. I could also call the defense stupid because they didn't make sure they tackled him in the first place. Most of the time when something like this happens the defense is all over the guy to make sure he's down.

Link to play.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He stumbled down, not "gave himself up".

I'm sure if the team's roles were reversed, I'm sure the NFL would find a way to review it for the east coast/NY team.

SportsGuy305

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He went down on purpose to try and start the next play as soon as possible. I do not like the rule but it is a rule and the right call was made.

Tacoma_canuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm kinda in between on this one. Cruz said afterward that he thought he was touched. That tends to indicate that his intent wasn't "giving himself up". The thing is the officials have to interpret things in the heat of the moment and it looked to them that he did so they made the judgement call. I think the rule stinks, personally ( other than the QB slide). They already protect players who are down from vicious hits and spearing. Make them have to touch the guy down. Also, make rules that are clear cut and not so widely interpretive. Look at Calvin Johnson last year in the end zone vs. the Bears. Practically the same deal. He "placed" the ball on the ground, too and was hurt by it.
Having said all that, the officials probably got the call right but Cruz and the Giants dodged a big bullet and if I was his coach, I would not be impressed.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My issue with it is that I guarantee that if Cruz hadnt fumbled and then got back up and ran for a TD they would have given him the score. The only reason they considered it as " giving himself up" is because he dropped the ball. In past sceanrios when this has happened they have typically always considered it a fumble. I think its obvious he stumbled and fell down ( not like he took a knee or something). I think if you look at the rule they need to add to it to make it more obvious when a player is giving himself up ie: sliding or taking a knee. I dont think tripping and falling down should be considered.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a bad thing for the fans to complain about in my opinion. This isn't nearly as bad as the horrible calls that went Pittsburgh's way in the Super Bowl against the Seahawks. Those bad calls legitimately changed the game, and they were the wrong calls.

In this situation, the guy caught it, ran, fell down and gave himself up. It's not like he was obviously stripped but they ruled him down. I would think the Cardinals fans had a real complaint if it were that type of situation. Under these circumstances, they're complaining because they feel like they were robbed of the gift that Cruz gave them.

That is just a silly thing to complain about, upset that the officials didn't cover up their inability to close out the game.