• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cardinals game notes

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
St. Louis Rams' Stephen Jackson still has gas in tank for contender; mail - Peter King - SI.com

Could Bryant McKinnie be the answer for someone? McKinnie's the odd man out in the Baltimore tackle rotation (Michael Oher's taken his old left tackle job, with Iowa State rookie Kelechi Osemele now the right tackle. McKinnie played but 23 offensive snaps in the last three Ravens game. But he'd be a good temporary Band-Aid for the reeling Cardinals, who I hear have some interest in him. They should. Their two starting tackles are the lowest-rated tackles in the NFL, according to ProFootballFocus.com, which has Bobbie Massie and D'Anthony Batiste blamed for the incredible total of 25 sacks and 74 quarterback hits or hurries -- in eight games!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Francisco 49ers – Niner Insider Blog – SFGate.com Under review: Harbaugh believes Smith should have 20th attempt, NFL record

Smith completed 18 of 19 passes in a 24-3 win against Arizona and fell one attempt shy of setting a league record for the highest completion percentage in a game.

However, he threw what was ruled a lateral to wide receiver Michael Crabtree on the first play of the fourth quarter. Crabtree gained eight yards on the play, which was ruled a run.

Today, Jim Harbaugh maintained it was a forward pass. He planned to watch the play again before submitting a request to the NFL to have Smith granted a 20th attempt.

If it is ruled a forward pass, Smith would have completed 19 of 20 passes and his 95.0 completion percentage would break the record of 92.31 held by Arizona’s Kurt Warner, who completed 24 of 26 passes on Sept., 20, 2009, in a 31-17 win over Jacksonville.

Did some rating calculations and found this interesting (adding the PI penalty was declined, giving Smith a 7 yard completion and this "forward pass"):

Desputed plays:

2/2, 15 yards, 0 TDs, 0 INTs = 97.9 rating

Stats for Last Night's Game as it Currently Stands:

18/19, 232 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs = 157.1 rating

Add those two together:

20/21, 247 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs = 155.3 rating.

Two completions makes his rating go DOWN (because of YPA)

Current stats: 145/209, 1659 yards, 12 TDs, 5 INTs = 102.1 rating

Add the 2/2, 15 yards, 97.9 rating and... his rating goes UP! (102.3 rating)

How do you add a LESSER rating (97.9) to a Higher Rating and get a HIGHER RATING? (The answer is completion percentage, because while 15 yards on 2 attempts is worse than his 7.94 YPA, percentage is more important than YPA in the rating formula.)

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mike Sando:

Alex Smith goal2go passing. 2011: 7-28, 4 TD, 1 INT, 3 sack, 2 rush TD, 12.8 QBR. 2012: 7-8, 5 TD, 1 INT, 1 sack, 98.4 QBR.

It is possible a guy just improves in specific situation like goal2go. Suspect it reflects better play/OL/weapons overall.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mike Sando:

2011: Alex Smith 1-7, 1 TD, 1 INT, 1.0 QBR in goal2go against Cardinals. Monday night: 3-3, 2 TD, 0 INT, 100.0 QBR.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colin Kaepernick ‏@Kaepernick7
Bout to get this workout in because yall ain't goin keep me on this sideline forever!

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Had a Bad Day Team Week 8

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/30/had-a-bad-day-team-week-8/

Tackles: D’Anthony Batiste, ARZ (-2.4) and Byron Bell, CAR (-3.1)

The weird thing? This was a lot better than expected from Batiste who gave up ‘only’ two sacks, a hit and two hurries. A career day of sorts. Bell had his hands full all game long, with the Chicago defensive ends having all sorts of fun against him.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Team of the Week

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/30/team-of-the-week-week-8/

Wide Receivers: Demaryius Thomas, DEN (+6.6) and Michael Crabtree, SF (+2.8)

Thomas was the highest graded receiver by a country mile, picking up a touchdown and 137 yards on the nine balls thrown to him. The second spot was a more closely fought affair, with Crabtree just edging out Miles Austin by virtue of his two touchdowns to the zero managed by Austin. On such things are these vaunted spots decided.

--------

Defensive Front 3-4

Outside Linebackers: Anthony Spencer, DAL (+2.9) and Aldon Smith, SF (+2.5)

Whisper it quietly, but Spencer is proving quite a valuable player for Dallas this year. He didn’t get much pressure, but he really impressed with his work in the run game. Smith was near the opposite, not doing much in the run game but adding seven quarterback disruptions with his pass rushing.

--------------

Inside Linebackers: Derrick Johnson, KC (+4.5) and Patrick Willis, SF (+3.5)

That was more like it from Johnson, who has been slow to start this year. He looked at his best against the Raiders. Meanwhile, Willis was able to upstage NaVorro Bowman, which isn’t something we’ve said all too often this year.

--------------

Cornerbacks: Tarrell Brown, SF (+5.1) and Chris Culliver, SF (+3.8)

It must have seemed like a good idea for the Cardinals to go after Brown. The ball went into his coverage 10 times, but he gave up just two receptions for 22 yards. Oh, and he broke up five passes. But I suppose when Culliver is one of the other corners what else are you meant to do? He allowed three of nine into his coverage for just 21 yards, with one interception and two pass break ups.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently I can't spell disputed. And no, the spelling isn't disputable. It's clearly wrong. Bah!

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maiocco:

49ers will ask for review, but they don't expect it to be ruled as a pass. Alex Smith will remain 18 of 19, instead of 19 of 20.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i pray he's the joking type...

How come? I want the backups to have starting in the near future as one of their main goals. For every position... except Punter, fuck our backup punter!! that jerk.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bout to get this workout in because yall ain't goin keep me on this sideline forever!
i pray he's the joking type...
How come? I want the backups to have starting in the near future as one of their main goals. For every position... except Punter, fuck our backup punter!! that jerk.

He's rocking the boat! :rant: Seriously though, I don't have a problem with it. I think that anyone who has a problem with it is due to the public nature of it (excluding those who are Alex fans, not Niner fans, who want him and any other threat gone). Work hard, show the coach, be prepared, I'm pretty sure Harbaugh sees it. He did look dejected yesterday towards the end where he realized he wasn't being used. But that might be me reading into it too much.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
imo its good to see kap posting stuff like that. sitting on the sidelines should make him hungry and hopefully put in the effort to get the most out of his talent.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how good Kap's hands are. Throw him some quick hitters and see if he can get some YAC.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Francisco 49ers – Niner Insider Blog – SFGate.com Under review: Harbaugh believes Smith should have 20th attempt, NFL record

Smith completed 18 of 19 passes in a 24-3 win against Arizona and fell one attempt shy of setting a league record for the highest completion percentage in a game.

However, he threw what was ruled a lateral to wide receiver Michael Crabtree on the first play of the fourth quarter. Crabtree gained eight yards on the play, which was ruled a run.

Today, Jim Harbaugh maintained it was a forward pass. He planned to watch the play again before submitting a request to the NFL to have Smith granted a 20th attempt.

If it is ruled a forward pass, Smith would have completed 19 of 20 passes and his 95.0 completion percentage would break the record of 92.31 held by Arizona’s Kurt Warner, who completed 24 of 26 passes on Sept., 20, 2009, in a 31-17 win over Jacksonville.

Just as the ref's do when Harbaugh hurls the red-flag, the league will scratch their heads if Harbaugh actually submits his request to convert that lateral into a pass.

Smith's feet were planted solidly on the 8 when he released the pass and Crabtree was planted solidly on the 7 when he received the pass.

Regarding Warners record setting day, there is one interesting similarity.

Smith had a tipped pass reception to Walker
Warner had a tipped pass reception to Bolden

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh has a better chance at getting the Defensive Pass Interference call declined, claims they declined it (or wasn't given them a chance to decline, if now ruled a completion) turning Smith's first pass into a conversion and thus qualifying him for the record books with 19/20, 239 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs, 156 rating (worse than his 157.1 rating, but better for the overall season rating). They changed Roethlesberger's pass into a TD pass when they had in game ruled it as a rushing TD. They, in Week 2 somewhere, changed a penalty to a declined penalty and completion. No advantage in accepting a spot foul when the receiver catches it there past the first down marker.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

yeah, like the idea of Kap getting live action. not at the expense of winning of course, but he should continue (minus Monday) to get reps going forward. i'd give him a LITTLE more when possible, and let him throw too.