• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cap to be raised

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Latest report is that the salary cap will get a 7 million raise to 130 million.

It was thought that it would remain flat so this is an unexpected surprise for teams with cap issues.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure this helps any team over another. Since every team get's the extra help some it will help get a little more cap relief where others will be able to spend a little more on either the FA they have or bring in some bigger names. Problem with a raised cap is it then signals to the Agents that teams have more money so then they have a little more room for asking for a little more. Players might have just got a little more expensive than they were a couple of days ago before the $4 million increase.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will help all teams. It puts the Cowboys, who were 23M over the cap, down to 16M over.

Those that were 12M over, like my Steelers, suddenly find themselves just 5M over.

More breathing room.

My guess is they're throwing in the TV money that CBS had to pay for the Thursday night games?

Lonewate44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will help all teams. It puts the Cowboys, who were 23M over the cap, down to 16M over.

Those that were 12M over, like my Steelers, suddenly find themselves just 5M over.

More breathing room.

My guess is they're throwing in the TV money that CBS had to pay for the Thursday night games?

I dont think it is the CBS money, as I had heard wouldnt come into account until Next year, as they have not received that money, and wont until this upcoming year....basically a year in arears...thats what I heard anyway......but it does make sense

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely helps my Chargers. We were right up against the cap number, and thus, expected to stay very stagnant with FA moves. Gives us some flexibility now.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how much any cap raise helps one team over another as after each one the agents now demand the ceiling be raised on their player negotiations as well. Anyone working on big players is going to give all/most of that to their current negotiations while those buried likely won't and will get some relief.

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That gives the Falcons about 23.5 million in space. I hope they make some smart moves with this deep free agent market.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it helps teams with already stacked rosters out a little more, but overall it benefits all teams.

Not sure how...Stacked teams mean you have quality players. With the Cap being raised the agents will be going crazy knowing that means player salaries should be going up as well. So this mean a guy that would make $7 million a year can now shoot for $8 million. If anything this really hurts teams that are stacked as it will now cost more to keep their own players.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no real advantage for a team with a cap raise. Some teams will be able to get under it, some teams will spend like crazy. Some as others have said will have to deal with agents getting contracts for more than they would have prior.

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This gives the Saints the money they need to put the TE franchise tag on Graham if that's what they decide to do.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how much any cap raise helps one team over another as after each one the agents now demand the ceiling be raised on their player negotiations as well. Anyone working on big players is going to give all/most of that to their current negotiations while those buried likely won't and will get some relief.

I don't know that it helps one team more than another, but some may find it more of a relief than others.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This gives the Saints the money they need to put the TE franchise tag on Graham if that's what they decide to do.

If they do it's going to be a knock down, drag out fight.

He's listed as a TE but they use him more like a WR.

Maybe the CBA needs to be reworked next time to address that issue?

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they do it's going to be a knock down, drag out fight.

He's listed as a TE but they use him more like a WR.

Maybe the CBA needs to be reworked next time to address that issue?

I think they should stay separate, because TE's effect the game differently with better blocking skills and more size. I think the TE has become an important position so the value of the tag should be higher. Maybe closer to 10 million.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they should stay separate, because TE's effect the game differently with better blocking skills and more size. I think the TE has become an important position so the value of the tag should be higher. Maybe closer to 10 million.
Graham will be tagged as a TE if he is (and I think he will) be the frachise for the Saints.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm saying that Graham is listed as a TE but plays more like a WR so maybe the CBA need to have a rule for guys like him...TE's that play like a WR, should be tagged like a WR, not a TE.

I'm not saying combine the two positions, just that if you're going to use your TE the way the Saints are using Graham, then you should have to tag him as a WR, not a TE.

And that, to accomplish that, the CBA may need a new clause or provision.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm saying that Graham is listed as a TE but plays more like a WR so maybe the CBA need to have a rule for guys like him...TE's that play like a WR, should be tagged like a WR, not a TE.

I'm not saying combine the two positions, just that if you're going to use your TE the way the Saints are using Graham, then you should have to tag him as a WR, not a TE.

With the way more and more teams are using the TE, I do think they will lumped in with WRs sooner rather than later.

I do think (with the cap increase), teams who were hesitant to use the tag on someone now may feel more comfortable doing so. It also gives teams more leverage in working out deals with these players with the threat of the tag being more legitimate. Hopefully it helps the Ravens get deals done with Monroe and Pitta.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can graham even block? He's a WR. :nod:

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They could also say that if a TE can't block sufficient , then lining up at WR sometimes is a sign of lack at his natural position....He gets away with playing the WR because, defenders know he ain't gonna blow past noone and the only way he succeeds is if someone misses their assignment....Not like he is Magatron or something....He's a TE, PERIOD !!