• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cap space for each NFL team - 49ers 579K under

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just enough to sign a 4-6 yr vet to the minimum if someone gets injured... kinda ballsy.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers Mailbag: Cap planning for next year

The 49ers are a league-low $391,000 under the 2012 salary cap as of this morning, a league source tells CSNBayArea.com. But it appears as if the team's capologist, Paraag Marathe, has done a good job of setting things up for the team's future.

For instance, knowing the 49ers would have some space to play with this year, the team a year ago restructured Patrick Willis' contract so that he would take up $17.6 million in cap space this year. Next year, Willis' cap number falls to just $3.6 million.

The 49ers have 43 players under contract for next season at a cost of $118.6 million. The salary cap this year is $120.6 million. Here is a list of those with cap figures for next season of more than $4 million or non-starters at more than $2 million:

QB Alex Smith $9.75 million
TE Vernon Davis $8.3 million
DT Justin Smith $8 million
CB Carlos Rogers $7.1 million
OLB Ahmad Brooks $6.556 million
RB Frank Gore $6.45 million
WR Michael Crabtree $5.77 million
C Jonathan Goodwin $5.02 million
WR Mario Manningham $4.88
S Donte Whitner $4.83 million
DT Ray McDonald $4.25 million
OLB Parys Haralson $2.87 million

But the 49ers also have several scheduled free agents, including safety Dashon Goldson, nose tackle Isaac Sopoaga, tight end Delanie Walker, and receivers Randy Moss and Ted Ginn.

It only goes to reason, however, that it becomes more and more difficult to manage the salary cap when the roster is comprised of better players who command bigger contracts.

Exhibit A: All-Pro linebacker NaVorro Bowman, who is scheduled to be grossly underpaid at $750,000 next season. His next contract -- with the 49ers or some other team -- will give him a significant pay increase.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
9.75 million for Alex? Wow.

Goodwin, Haralson & Whitner need t' go. Probably Manningham too (which would be easier if friggn' Jennings could get his ass on the fied).

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't have much cap room for next year.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And with no increase in the cap for two years (I think) we could look like (will look like) a very different team by 2014

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we might need to take a hard look at olb or mlb in the draft. either to replace bowman or to replace brooks so we can cut him and resign bowman.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Goodwin, Haralson & Whitner need t' go. Probably Manningham too (which would be easier if friggn' Jennings could get his ass on the fied).

Jennings? Did you intend to say A.J.? I'm not trying to be an ass, just want to be clear, cause the only Jennings on this team that I know of is Brian, and I'd definitely like him to be around for awhile longer.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with 3 out of the 4 id like to see manningham the rest of the season before id say let him go

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
In addition to cutting the aforementioned, I'd look into trying to trade the following players (in order of importance, and I'm omitting any comments about Alex; you're welcome):

1) Bowman. This is a no-brainer.
2) Rogers. It'd be really tought to unload his big contract, but I'd take a late round pick.
3) Gore
4) Justin Smith. 8+ million & in a contract year in 2013. I'd be willing to trade the heart & soul of the defense for the good of the team long-term. The team SHOULD have traded him last offseason & replaced him anyway. They probably could've gotten a top 20 pick for him.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Saints cap situation for next year:

49ers-Rams tie; more Week 10 thoughts - Peter King - SI.com

An X-factor in the Sean Payton decision

As of this morning, the New England Patriots and Chicago Bears have seven players scheduled to carry 2013 salary cap numbers of $3 million or higher. The New Orleans Saints have 15, including the gaudy $17.4 milion number quarterback Drew Brees will carry based on his new five-year deal signed in July.

Cap numbers, of course, can and will change. But as of today, the Saints are in major trouble if they're going to use any avenue except the fixed-cost NFL Draft to repair their defense in 2013. The 15 heaviest contracts the Saints have, as of this morning, take up 87 percent of their 2013 salary cap. The NFL is scheduled to have a cap number of about $121 million per team next year, though that varies from team to team depending on cap credits and money carried over from the previous season.

Think of that: The Saints have 28 percent of their 53-man roster taking up 87 percent of the cap room. And they'll be at least $25 million over the $121 million cap at the start of the free-agency period.

Of course, that will have to change. But even if the Saints can re-do huge pacts like Will Smith's, and even if they make a veteran such as Jonathan Vilma or David Hawthorne a cap casualty, the front office will still find it tough to keep this team intact for the long haul. (And cutting Vilma would still incur a $2.6 million cap charge for the 2013 portion of his pro-rated signing bonus.) How, for instance, will they be able to re-sign left tackle Jermon Bushrod, scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent?

As Mike Florio pointed out on NBC last night, the Saints now have a 13-week edge on the competition to get a valid contract done with Payton -- because Payton cannot be reinstated for at least 13 weeks, until the day after the Super Bowl, and thus can't speak to any other team about a job until then. New Orleans is the lead dog in the pursuit of Payton, and Dallas is a clear No. 2, though there's no guarantee the Cowboys' job will open up yet. For the record, some of the onerous cap numbers in 2013 that will weigh on Payton's decision are on the right.