• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Canucks Season Summed up thread

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
18m Ben Kuzma ‏ @benkuzma
Gillis on TEAM 1040 re: Luongo's list: "We've met but we decided we're going to talk in a few days. We're going to take a deep breath."

17m Ben Kuzma ‏ @benkuzma
More Gillis: "I haven't made up my mind about the goaltending. We need to step back and plan out what we're going to do with this team."

15m Ben Kuzma ‏ @benkuzma
Gillis on team's rep: "I see players do exactly what our players do all over the league — some worse. Burrows plays the game correctly."

13m Ben Kuzma ‏ @benkuzma
Gillis on drain of Jan.7 in Boston: "The build-up to it was so crazy, some were being called cowards. It was like a heavyweight fight."

10m Ben Kuzma ‏ @benkuzma
Gillis on Hodgson: "We wanted a younger player (Kassian) who would be an impact player. The package that Zack brings when he develops ...

9m Ben Kuzma ‏ @benkuzma
... you'll never develop that. That unique package never available."

7m Ben Kuzma ‏ @benkuzma
Gillis on Kesler trade spec: "It's remarkable a person stumbles and that's the response. We want to teach him to protect himself more."

5m Ben Kuzma ‏ @benkuzma
Gillis on Bieksa abdominal injury: "He had a small muscle tear and we're not sure if he'll need surgery. We'll find out in a few days."

Ben Kuzma ‏ @benkuzma
Gillis on the NHL's defensive style: "Once in a while you stumble. I don't think is a long-term playing style for the league."

9m Ben Kuzma ‏ @benkuzma
Gillis: "You need size and speed but when this (upsets), you can react. I hope I'm right for this market. People want an up-tempo game."

Last edited by a moderator:

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3m Ben Kuzma ‏ @benkuzma
Gillis: "You need size and speed but when this (upsets), you can react. I hope I'm right for this market. People want an up-tempo game."

Gillis on @Team1040: doesn't want to give thoughts on trends that have the highest scoring teams out of the playoffs or he'd be sanctioned

Ill say it for him

the stats/numbers are out there floating around but the last years of cba's usually see decreased scoring and decreased PIMs called by referees ... its a concerted effort to have parity around the league and manage games so all teams are in the playoff race til the very bitter end

imo the team should have never done the about face in philosophy and tried to win games 1 - 0 every night ... the team wasnt built to do that ... now the identity is missing ... its all very washington capital like (theyve oversom it so far this playoffs but you saw them struggle with it in the regular season)

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I forget where all of these were being posted.
thought this one was pretty clever

Q1JwU.gif

Ho_Brah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Benjamin is smart and sane.Here are his interesting observations on Vancouver’s 2011-12 season (edited):

End of the Line : Tom Benjamin’s NHL Blog :: CanucksCorner.com.

The Canucks didn’t play very well in the second half of the season – they didn’t play as well as their record – so I don’t think Canucks Nation is nearly as shocked as the players themselves. I’m not really into the blame game, but if I had to point a finger at a single player who might have made a difference, it would be pointed at Ryan Kesler. Last year he was often the best player on the ice. This year he was seldom a force. He was good, but not an elite player this season and he was not a factor at all in the playoffs.

If there is a concern going forward, it is that the Canucks are playing a style that is clearly falling out of favour. Mike Gillis has a team that tries to play like Detroit, the proverbial “puck possession” game. If Phoenix holds on to beat Chicago, all four teams to go through in the West play the same defense-first scheme, with a physical trap all over the ice and junkfest in front of the net in their own end. A junkfest, at both ends actually.

And dear God is it boring. It’s even boring when you’re winning.

When played well, even strength chances are few and far between and special teams become critical. Aside from that, the most unfortunate consequence of the loss will be the demands for Vigneault’s head. I don’t think Mike Gillis will toss him to the mob, but if he does, my confidence in him will be shaken.

Especially since there aren’t any good candidates out there. Vigneault deserves points for putting in Schneider. I thought it was weird at the time, since Luongo seemed to be playing well, but it turned out to be a stroke of genius that could easily have won the series for them. I think we can all agree that, had the Canucks won game 5 in OT, the odds of the series going seven games would have been pretty good.

That game would have been last night, wouldn’t it?

Postscript: As for the rest of the playoffs, I think Nashville is probably the best team in the West still standing and if I had to bet, I’d probably pick Boston to survive Washington and eventually come out of the East.

Well, Boston has since lost, but I agree about Nashville. I think it will be Philadelphia in the East, so my dream of a Kings-Flyers cup finals is still alive. Crazy, but alive.

Luongo has apparently submitted a short list of teams he would be willing to be traded to, including (according to the rumor) Toronto. I do think it’s funny that Luongo is getting blamed for losing a series he didn’t lose. I bet he ends up in Tampa.

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think any rational Canuck fan is blaming Luongo for the series loss. I haven't even seen that in the media. That blame can be spread pretty evenly to the rest of the team. In game one Luongo was easily the Canucks best player. He played well in game 2 but just not well enough.

I think it's just the default answer for some fans when the Canucks lose. "Fucking Luongo".

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think any rational Canuck fan is blaming Luongo for the series loss. I haven't even seen that in the media. That blame can be spread pretty evenly to the rest of the team. In game one Luongo was easily the Canucks best player. He played well in game 2 but just not well enough.

I think it's just the default answer for some fans when the Canucks lose. "Fucking Luongo".

nope he didnt cost them anything this playoffs ... but lets get real here ... Gillis and the franchise has CHOSEN Schneider over Luongo for cap reasons PLUS there were probably one too many game nights during the regular season and over the years when Gillis muttered to himself ... "fuckin Luongo"

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nope he didnt cost them anything this playoffs ... but lets get real here ... Gillis and the franchise has CHOSEN Schneider over Luongo for cap reasons PLUS there were probably one too many game nights during the regular season and over the years when Jstew muttered to himself ... "fuckin Luongo"

fixy

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i seem to remember you posting "fucking Luongo" one or 2 times lol

lol...... not going to deny it. some of his games/goals were infuriating.

also not going to deny the nervousness I will have going into the season with an unproven Starter... Yes Cory was excellent in his 33 games. 66 games a big difference.... but I have faith but not unyielding. Lack will most likely stay in the AHL for development reasons alone. its always good for the backup of the future to get as much development time as he can. Lots of backups can be picked up. Im just wary of change right now maybe Im afraid our window closed faster than I anticipated. but until the changes are made

Luongo
Raymond
3rd/4th lines

I won't know what we will be. Our dynamic will be very very different.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yah i get the suspicion after a couple of years of putting Crampy through the ringer , hes gonna be a drooling fool

he will be the perfect subject for a future "team picture throughout the seasons" post ... Im guessing that smile is gonna eventually be turned upside down :L

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I think it was a huge mistake making Luongo captain and having him front and centre with the media talking about the team's struggles when he was captain. Just my opinion, but I think it really soured his relationship with the fans and there was nothing he could do (short of bringing a Stanley Cup back to Vancouver) to repair that relationship.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brad Ziemer ‏ @BradZiemer
So much for #Canucks making Vigneault available for interviews this week. Just spotted flying out of YVR. Hope it's not a 1-way ticket.

First time I can remember a #Canucks coach not having an end-of-season session with media. #makesyouwonder

sounds like he's french toast

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brad Ziemer ‏ @BradZiemer
So much for #Canucks making Vigneault available for interviews this week. Just spotted flying out of YVR. Hope it's not a 1-way ticket.

First time I can remember a #Canucks coach not having an end-of-season session with media. #makesyouwonder

sounds like he's french toast

or they said fuck it lets fuck with media and fans for the summer lol

this is a crazy end to the season

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyways David Booth is a hunter

David Booth ‏ @D_Booth7
Just killed a Chara sized bruin! 7ft black bear- 21in skull.

Ar2DXUMCEAAQQ6P.jpg

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kevin Bieksa ‏ @kbieksa3
@D_Booth7 impressive Dave! Did he have a crossbow also?

:pound:

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YOUVE CROSSED THE LINE BOOTH!!!

Ar5wy5JCEAEH6aR.jpg

jstewismybastardson