• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can We please STOP blaming Welker....

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ha-ha I guess we did

I never put the majority of the blame on Welker because I never fell for the "If you can touch it, you should catch it" outdated propaganda. Not all passes are equal, some are tough catches, some are easier. It's a fact that tough catches will result in a lower number of completions and all WRs...repeat...ALL WRs....have missed passes that were tough to catch. I'll go out on a limb here..sarcasm...and say some were the Qbs fault.

IT'S COMMON SENSE.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never put the majority of the blame on Welker because I never fell for the "If you can touch it, you should catch it" outdated propaganda. Not all passes are equal, some are tough catches, some are easier. It's a fact that tough catches will result in a lower number of completions and all WRs...repeat...ALL WRs....have missed passes that were tough to catch. I'll go out on a limb here..sarcasm...and say some were the Qbs fault.

IT'S COMMON SENSE.

Which should be avoided at all cost when using a message board.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariucci's analysis: "You can see Tom throwing the ball to the left keeping the ball away from the safety"

FACT: The safety was at least ten yards from the play...stop the video at the 3 second mark and it's obvious. In fact Brady threw it to the outside shoulder where the coverage was even closer by the end of the play.

Mariucci's further analysis: "Wes says... "I have two hands on the ball, I should have come down with it"; but you know what? He had to turn Michael(Irvin), it would have been a tough catch."

That's right, Brady threw it high, wide and to the wrong shoulder when he didn't have to, and it turned an easy reception to a wide open Welker into a tough one.

SO SAYS A FORMER NFL HEAD COACH.

It's 80% on Brady...IMO

I guess a former NFL Head Coach doesn't understand football as much as you do Wazoo.

NFL Channel Analysis - Welker Incompletion - Super Bowl 46 - YouTube

Of course Mooch knows football. But they were obviously in "let's cut Welker some slack" mode at the time. Michael Irvin sure as hell knows a lot more about catching a football than Mooch. In the middle of all of that "cover for Wes" slobbering you might have heard Irvin say that Welker "would have come down with that catch 99 out of 100 times. That just happened to be the one that got away and cost them the game"....or did you miss that part ?

Last edited by a moderator:

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course Mooch knows football. But they were obviously in "let's cut Welker some slack" mode at the time. Michael Irvin sure as hell knows a lot more about catching a football than Mooch. In the middle of all of that "cover for Wes" slobbering you might have heard Irvin say that Welker "would have come down with that catch 99 out of 100 times. That just happened to be the one that got away and cost them the game"....or did you miss that part ?

You just said they were slobbering over Welker...did that miraculously stop when Irvin chimed in? I think it was obviously one WR being sympathetic to the other and talking him up with that comment. Mariucci knows more about throwing the football than Irvin and he said it was a tough catch...blame goes to Brady. Open your eyes, Welker was wide open and Brady was off target. End of story.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
End of story?!

:lol:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariucci knows more about what constitutes a catchable ball than Irvin? What a fucking joke.

Mariucci is a bum and Irvin is an all time great.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariucci knows more about what constitutes a catchable ball than Irvin? What a fucking joke.

Mariucci is a bum and Irvin is an all time great.

Stop proving your stupidity, Mariucci was Favre's QB coach and he was the HC of the 49ers when they had Steve Young. Like I said, he knows more about throwing the football and he called it a "TOUGH CATCH".

Anyone that watches the NFL Network tape can see Welker was wide open but the pass was high, wide and to the wrong shoulder.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is getting silly. They were just trying to cut Welker some slack because he was taking a lot of flak for dropping the ball, which he did. Irvin chimed in along the same lines saying what a great WR Welker is & blah, blah, blah...because he realized it was "pity party" time for Wes. Then he got to the punchline : Welker "would have come down with that catch 99 out of 100 times. That just happened to be the one that got away and cost them the game". That's a HOF WR's assessment of the play. If the catch was so damn hard you might say "you can't blame that on Welker" or "he would have had to make a circus catch to come up with that". You might say any number of things. But what you wouldn't say is "he would have caught it 99 out of 100 times". He turned and had the ball in his sites a good 10 yards before it got to him. He got the palms of both hands on the ball. Nobody touched him. You catch the damn ball, period.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. So now Mooch knows more about what constitutes a tough catch than one of the best WRs to ever play the game. I don't think so.. and he was just being kind anyway.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. So now Mooch knows more about what constitutes a tough catch than one of the best WRs to ever play the game. I don't think so.. and he was just being kind anyway.

LOL! This "tough catch" was due to a bad throw to a wide open receiver...and this former QB coach and NFL HC named Mariucci knows bad throws when he sees them.

Three seconds will change your life...watch the NFL Network video.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is getting silly. They were just trying to cut Welker some slack because he was taking a lot of flak for dropping the ball, which he did. Irvin chimed in along the same lines saying what a great WR Welker is & blah, blah, blah...because he realized it was "pity party" time for Wes. Then he got to the punchline : Welker "would have come down with that catch 99 out of 100 times. That just happened to be the one that got away and cost them the game". That's a HOF WR's assessment of the play. If the catch was so damn hard you might say "you can't blame that on Welker" or "he would have had to make a circus catch to come up with that". You might say any number of things. But what you wouldn't say is "he would have caught it 99 out of 100 times". He turned and had the ball in his sites a good 10 yards before it got to him. He got the palms of both hands on the ball. Nobody touched him. You catch the damn ball, period.

Your bold underlined text cannot possibly be right because JDM said Welker can't catch. That HOF WR you're talking about was on drugs when Mariucci was coaching Favre and Steve Young...TWO DEFINITE HOF QBs.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
apparently not. lol

It's the factual end of the story...not the arguing.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your bold underlined text cannot possibly be right because JDM said Welker can't catch. That HOF WR you're talking about was on drugs when Mariucci was coaching Favre and Steve Young...TWO DEFINITE HOF QBs.

JDM takes everything to the nth degree. I'm very familiar with his posts. But he's pretty smart and usually right about the central point. I disagree with him about Welker having lousy hands and it being an easy catch... though I think Welker's hands have always been overrated. Welker is a good WR and it wasn't an easy catch. But it was one that any decent NFL WR, including Welker, should make routinely. I've watched the video literally dozens of times. I don't know what on earth makes you think Mooch being a coach or QB coach qualifies him as being more knowledgeable about what constitutes a tough catch than a guy who made a living doing it better than just about anyone ever. Irvin's natural inclination is to side with the WR, but he called it a 1 in 100 drop.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JDM takes everything to the nth degree. I'm very familiar with his posts. But he's pretty smart and usually right about the central point. I disagree with him about Welker having lousy hands and it being an easy catch... though I think Welker's hands have always been overrated. Welker is a good WR and it wasn't an easy catch. But it was one that any decent NFL WR, including Welker, should make routinely. I've watched the video literally dozens of times. I don't know what on earth makes you think Mooch being a coach or QB coach qualifies him as being more knowledgeable about what constitutes a tough catch than a guy who made a living doing it better than just about anyone ever. Irvin's natural inclination is to side with the WR, but he called it a 1 in 100 drop.

I just needed to see that NFL Network video one time to know that Welker was as wide open as it gets in the NFL and the throw was 80% of the problem. I don't care what they actually say in that video because my eyes saw what they saw. That being said... Mariucci is eminently more qualified to talk about a tough catch from a QB perspective and Brady is the only player that made that pass become a tough catch. IMO, if he threw it on target to the inside shoulder, Welker scores.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He can't. But that catch was disturbingly easy. Any NFL receiver and most players on an NFL roster in any capacity, including lineman, make that catch easily.

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can't. But that catch was disturbingly easy. Any NFL receiver and most players on an NFL roster in any capacity, including lineman, make that catch easily.

That pass was another reason why Brady was 0-13 with one INT against the Giants when throwing 20+ yards.

What does it take to become a trend in your mind? It was firmly established by the time that pass was thrown to Welker.

Face it, Brady made a bad throw to a completely wide open receiver and deserves the lion's share of blame.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just needed to see that NFL Network video one time to know that Welker was as wide open as it gets in the NFL and the throw was 80% of the problem. I don't care what they actually say in that video because my eyes saw what they saw. That being said... Mariucci is eminently more qualified to talk about a tough catch from a QB perspective and Brady is the only player that made that pass become a tough catch. IMO, if he threw it on target to the inside shoulder, Welker scores.

One last thing regarding how tough a catch it was. Why would the perspective of a QB who never catches passes be of more value that the one of a WR whose job it is to catch passes ... a HOF WR at that ?

and I've watched the damned video dozens of times trying (unsuccessfully) to find something particularly difficult about it. I see him looking the ball into his hands and the ball bouncing off of them as they both fall to the ground... every time. It hasn't changed my mind much less my life. :noidea:

TKO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One last thing regarding how tough a catch it was. Why would the perspective of a QB who never catches passes be of more value that the one of a WR whose job it is to catch passes ... a HOF WR at that ?

and I've watched the damned video dozens of times trying (unsuccessfully) to find something particularly difficult about it. I see him looking the ball into his hands and the ball bouncing off of them as they both fall to the ground... every time. It hasn't changed my mind much less my life. :noidea:

The perspective on that pass was from a former NFL HC that was also a QB coach and he would know when he saw a bad pass that led to a tough catch, which is what he called it. Bottom line, that pass didn't need to be thrown where Brady put it and therefore the missed connection is 80% on him....IMO.

If you watched the video and didn't see that Welker was wide open and that Brady made a bad throw...nothing about your life will change.