• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cam Johnson traded to the colts

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
One preseason game (And the most meaningless of them all) against a LT that was just released, makes him worth more than a 7th rounder?

What am I missing here?

You're missing that a 7th rounder, especially one from a team who's good, is a hair higher than completely worthless. A late 7th-round pick has like a 10% chance of even making the team next year (much less contributing).

And it wasn't just one preseason game. The guy was a great pass rusher in college. He's finally healthy, and the team basically gives him away. :L

Nastastical

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam had a good preseason showed potential. Agreed its not a huge deal but my hopes were that between him and Lmeonier it would make Brooks expendable to use his money to resign the core players.

He didn't have a good preseason, he had one good preseason game. Before that SD game, everyone figured he would be cut if he didn't have a good showing in the final game; and to his credit he did. But in the other games he was being outplayed by Lemonier, Haralson, and Skuta. How many times did he fail to set the edge in both the Denver and KC games? He showed some quickness in getting to the QB this preseason, but there are many other things you need to do to be a good LB.

Nastastical

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're missing that a 7th rounder, especially one from a team who's good, is a hair higher than completely worthless. A late 7th-round pick has like a 10% chance of even making the team next year (much less contributing).

And it wasn't just one preseason game. The guy was a great pass rusher in college. He's finally healthy, and the team basically gives him away. :L

He was a good pass rusher in college, not great, because great pass rushers don't almost go undrafted.

In the end it comes down to a numbers game, because I'm sure the niners front office and coaching staff would've loved to keep Cam, if the rosters were 60 instead of 53, but they are not. So when you have a responsibility to field 3 good units, the players that have a chance to significantly contribute to at least one of them, will hold onto a roster spot over the guys who won't. Cam wasn't going to be a big contributor to our defense this season and he's not a good special teams player.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
really wanted to see him here and provide depth... Did we not learn anything about rotating players?

trading cam for another 7th being conditional... not the deal i wanted to hear...

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People up in arms over a guy who performed great in the last preseason game of the year. Get a grip. Geez. Why the hell is a guy who hasn't done anything in the season be worth more then a 7th when he was a 7th?

What's the over under number of sacks Cam gets with the Colts? I'll take the under whatever it is.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're missing that these 7th round picks can be traded. After all a 7th was traded to move up in the 3rd to get Corey. A move you love.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People up in arms over a guy who performed great in the last preseason game of the year. Get a grip. Geez. Why the hell is a guy who hasn't done anything in the season be worth more then a 7th when he was a 7th?

What's the over under number of sacks Cam gets with the Colts? I'll take the under whatever it is.

Well, hopefully Indy's pick is better than the 30th in the 7th? Nah, couldn't be. I know there's a limit because otherwise under the one round up logic a 7th in 2006 would be worth a first this year (can't be, of course), but don't future picks in the same round worth less than the current year? How does that apply to past drafts? Not at all?

Nastastical

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
really wanted to see him here and provide depth... Did we not learn anything about rotating players?

trading cam for another 7th being conditional... not the deal i wanted to hear...

That's why we drafted both Tank and Lemonier. How are all these guys supposed to play if we keep everyone? With the way Lemonier is playing and the return of Carradine later in the season, Cam became expendable, just like Haralson.

People seem to be forgetting that we have the best pass rushing OLB in football, a pro bowl caliber OLB in Brooks, and a stud rookie OLB in Lemonier, who looks like he might wreak havoc this season. Fangio already has an issue with subbing the top players on his defense, so where does Cam fit in?

Nastastical

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thank you!

I don't understand why anyone thinks he had anymore value than the 7th rounder he was traded for. He did absolutely nothing last year and was available for all teams to sign him, since he was on our practice squad. Now this year he was under performing until the final game of the preseason, where he finally showed some potential against Max Starks, who was released for being so godawful.

Last season, with absolutely no one blocking him, Cam couldn't even move up the depth chart to be our 3rd OLB, forcing us to sign that scrub Clark Haggans off the street.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh. He wasn't in the 49ers' plans anyway.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So a guy who was a longshot to make the 53 man roster is worth equal to or more than a starting WR?

Parys Haralson was worth a 7th round pick.

Anquan Boldin was worth a very late 6th round pick.

But Cam Johnson is worth much more than a 7th? GTFOH.

Or do you guys actually believe you have more knowledge about NFL trade values than guys who make millions of dollars in that profession?

And to people saying he's more valuable to special teams than guys you haven't seen play, give me a break. Talk about exposing your ignorance.

And with Harper taking his spot, reports I'm reading are that he is being looked at to fill the role of Walker. I'm going to say that once he has learned the offense, that will be more valuable than any player in civies on game day.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So a guy who was a longshot to make the 53 man roster is worth equal to or more than a starting WR?

Or do you guys actually believe you have more knowledge about NFL trade values than guys who make millions of dollars in that profession?

And to people saying he's more valuable to special teams than guys you haven't seen play, give me a break. Talk about exposing your ignorance.

And with Harper taking his spot, reports I'm reading are that he is being looked at to fill the role of Walker. I'm going to say that once he has learned the offense, that will be more valuable than any player in civies on game day.

Boldin was traded (for a late rounder) because the Ravens couldn't afford to pay him, and were gonna lose him anyways.

Nastastical

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boldin was traded (for a late rounder) because the Ravens couldn't afford to pay him, and were gonna lose him anyways.

We were going to lose Cam Johnson though, because we needed his roster spot to sign Harper.

Better to trade him for a 7th, than to just release him and get nothing in return.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Starting WR was valued at a 6th round pick.

A 3-4 OLB with starting experience was valued at a 7th round pick.

Why is a 7th round pick with 0 regular season snaps, an injury history and a year on the PS worth more?

A 7th round pick that likely wouldn't be on the 43 man roster.
A 7th round pick that apparently was very much on the bubble, and would have likely been cut had he not been traded to add Harper.
A 7th round pick who, had he not been cut to add Harper, likely would have been cut to add Dobbs. Or Caradine. Or Manningham. Or Crabtree.

There wasn't room on the roster for him.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
You're missing that these 7th round picks can be traded. After all a 7th was traded to move up in the 3rd to get Corey. A move you love.

:love:

I did love that move...

Those 7th-round picks just don't have a lot of trade value though. It moved the Niners from 93 to 88. The problem is after an amazing draft like this last one, there won't be a lot of available spots on the roster. The Niners are going to need to move up in the 1st & 2nd rounds more than the 3rd & 4th rounds IMO (unless they need a kicker or something).

A guy like Cam Johnson is worth more than a LATE 7th round pick IMO. If it were a 6th I wouldn't be quite as upset. I hope he doesn't work out in the 4-3 and comes back.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

Apples & oranges. Boldin & Haralson make a lot more money than Cam, and Cam is significantly younger than they. And Cam can be had for 2 years, while Parys & Boldin can only be had for 1.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were going to lose Cam Johnson though, because we needed his roster spot to sign Harper.

Better to trade him for a 7th, than to just release him and get nothing in return.

That's fine, but people are questioning whether Cam Johnson was worth that. I honestly don't think it's gonna matter either way, but the trade does merit a "huh" and a "wha?".

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maybe this article will make some of you feel better...

Cam Johnson and San Francisco 49ers' draft planning - ESPN

The San Francisco 49ers exchanged a 2012 seventh-round pick for 2013 fourth- and 2014 seventh-round picks Monday. That sounds like a pretty good deal and it's typical of the 49ers maximizing value. No one went into the 2013 draft with more picks than the 49ers possessed, and already San Francisco could have as many as 13 selections for next year.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting WR was valued at a 6th round pick.

A 3-4 OLB with starting experience was valued at a 7th round pick.

Why is a 7th round pick with 0 regular season snaps, an injury history and a year on the PS worth more?

A 7th round pick that likely wouldn't be on the 43 man roster.
A 7th round pick that apparently was very much on the bubble, and would have likely been cut had he not been traded to add Harper.
A 7th round pick who, had he not been cut to add Harper, likely would have been cut to add Dobbs. Or Caradine. Or Manningham. Or Crabtree.

There wasn't room on the roster for him.

Boldin was a salary casualty. It's not like he was set to make kibbles and bits like Cam Johnson and was traded for a 6th. The comparison is a false one.

And I never once argued that Cam Johnson was worth more than a conditional 7th.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You forgot to mention that it was a CONDITIONAL 7th round pick for Cam Johnson. In terms of draft picks, his market value may be zero.