• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cam Johnson traded to the colts

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not the end of the world but we just traded 2 god depth guys at OLB and now if 1 goes down we are in trouble. Also Johnson had a chance to be a good solid player. Is it the end of the world no but as fans we get confused on some decisions the team does. I trust Baalke so im not going to jump on him and go crazy. Im just stating this move doesnt make much sense.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Seriously, it's getting pretty ridiculous with how much people are overreacting over 4th string players. This reminds me of Nathan Palmer and the overreaction to him being plucked from our PS last season; where exactly is he right now?

Every single season us fans fall in love with certain fringe players, then we act like it's the end of the world when they are let go by the people paid to make the tough decisions.

I have learned to let these front office guys do their jobs after I was upset about losing guys like Nate Davis and Korey Sheets.

When was the last time a released/traded player has comeback to bite us in the butt? Not saying it can't happen, but it hasn't happened in a few years.

I was disappointed we released Philip Adams. He was never more than passable, but he's put together a pretty nice career for a very late pick, at a position where we had tremendous need at the time we dropped him.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Apples & oranges. Boldin & Haralson make a lot more money than Cam, and Cam is significantly younger than they. And Cam can be had for 2 years, while Parys & Boldin can only be had for 1.

So you do feel you more about trade value and roster composition than the guys that do it for a living.

Okay then.

If he wasn't traded, he was cut.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That's fine, but people are questioning whether Cam Johnson was worth that. I honestly don't think it's gonna matter either way, but the trade does merit a "huh" and a "wha?".

What if we just straight up cut him to make room for Harper?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So you do feel you more about trade value and roster composition than the guys that do it for a living.

No. I get why they did it, but it's tough to see a good pass-rushing prospect go for so little. And I'm not just going by the Chargers' game; I'm going by what he did in college and the fact that he's finally healthy.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
:love:

I did love that move...

Those 7th-round picks just don't have a lot of trade value though. It moved the Niners from 93 to 88. The problem is after an amazing draft like this last one, there won't be a lot of available spots on the roster. The Niners are going to need to move up in the 1st & 2nd rounds more than the 3rd & 4th rounds IMO (unless they need a kicker or something).

A guy like Cam Johnson is worth more than a LATE 7th round pick IMO. If it were a 6th I wouldn't be quite as upset. I hope he doesn't work out in the 4-3 and comes back.

Yeah, but Baalke loves making short jumps up to grab the guys he wants. I'm not crazy about that strategy, but it's hard to argue with the results to date. The 2012 draft aside - a draft in which we didn't make a lot of moves around the board, incidentally - the man clearly knows what he's doing.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Boldin was a salary casualty. It's not like he was set to make kibbles and bits like Cam Johnson and was traded for a 6th. The comparison is a false one.

And I never once argued that Cam Johnson was worth more than a conditional 7th.

And Johnson was a roster casualty. He wasn't going to dress on game days, he was likely going to be cut to make room for Harper. We got a conditional 7th round pick instead of just kicking him off the team.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You forgot to mention that it was a CONDITIONAL 7th round pick for Cam Johnson. In terms of draft picks, his market value may be zero.

Yes. Haralson was also a conditional 7th round pick. If either of them don't make the roster on their new teams, we don't get a pick.

If Haralson can't make the Saints, would he have made the Niners?

If Johnson can't make the Colts, would he have stuck with us?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
not the end of the world but we just traded 2 god depth guys at OLB and now if 1 goes down we are in trouble. Also Johnson had a chance to be a good solid player. Is it the end of the world no but as fans we get confused on some decisions the team does. I trust Baalke so im not going to jump on him and go crazy. Im just stating this move doesnt make much sense.

I think this move makes lots of sense.

We needed a roster spot for Harper.
We will need roster spots for Carradine, Manningham, Crabtree and possible Dial.

Johnson was not going to stick on this roster. We have the opportunity to get something for him rather than get nothing.

That makes sense.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Very few get more than Baalke when it is decided a player no longer fits into the plan...

I feel a new trend coming on...

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
No. I get why they did it, but it's tough to see a good pass-rushing prospect go for so little. And I'm not just going by the Chargers' game; I'm going by what he did in college and the fact that he's finally healthy.

He's not a good prospect. He had a good game against guys that were cut.

He was a 7th round pick and survived last year on our PS. He was not going to be on this team come Halloween.

He was not going to be in uniform on Sunday. We traded a guy that was going to be showcasing the 2013 line of official NFL wear on the sideline. We didn't trade a linebacker. We traded a fashion model.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I agree it was a good move.

Plus we stole a player from the Seahawks that they were trying to stash so that's a bonus.

Nastastical

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was disappointed we released Philip Adams. He was never more than passable, but he's put together a pretty nice career for a very late pick, at a position where we had tremendous need at the time we dropped him.

Adams has been on 4 teams in 3 season. He also has only 3 INT's in his entire career. The only reason he is even in the league still, is because he's playing for one of the worst rosters in football.

If that is the best name we have released/traded, then I stick by my statement of us needing to trust Baalke.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone have a list of picks + conditional picks niners have next year

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Anyone have a list of picks + conditional picks niners have next year

2014 draft picks:
1. First round - own pick
2. Second round - own pick
3. Third round - pick from Kansas City (Alex Smith). Selection could turn into a second-round pick if the Chiefs finish 8-8 or better.
4. Third round - pick from Tennessee. Titans moved up in second round this year to take WR Justin Hunter.
5. Third round - own pick
6. Fourth round - own pick
7. Fifth round - own pick
8. Sixth round - own pick
9. Seventh round - own pick
10. Seventh round - pick from Carolina (2012 Colin Jones trade)
11. Seventh round - pick from New Orleans (Parys Haralson)*
12. Seventh round - pick from Indianapolis (Cam Johnson)**

*The New Orleans trade is contingent on Haralson making the Saints roster, which he is expected to do. In fact, he could start at outside linebacker.

** The Indianapolis trade also is conditional on Johnson making the roster.

***The 49ers also are expected to be awarded at least one compensatory pick in the 2014 draft, perhaps as high as a third rounder, after losing Goldson, Delanie Walker, Isaac Sopoaga, Ricky Jean-Francois and Ted Ginn in free agency. That pick could be as high as a third, which perhaps would give the 49ers six picks in the first 100 selections of the draft.

-- Matt Barrows

Read more here: 49ers Blog and Q&A: Roster maneuvers: 49ers send Cam Johnson to Colts, add WR Harper

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope this is going towards ammo to get Clowney

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:drool:

Only way that happens is if the Niners traded Aldon Smith or Kaepernick IMO. Maybe Willis, but he's a little older.

What about Crabtree, a couple of 1st (one of those is a future 1st rd. pick) and 2nd round picks (come on Alex!), and a 3rd round pick?

Would that be enough? Going to look up the Ricky Williams trade....

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:drool:

Only way that happens is if the Niners traded Aldon Smith or Kaepernick IMO. Maybe Willis, but he's a little older.

I think a first 2 second and 2 3rds and 4 7ths would get the pick. That would go a long way to rebuilding a team that sucks so bad they are dead last. So much more than a pass rusher sack machine.

Then the 49ers could go to a 4-3 line with it being

Clowney Caridine Williams A Smith

Lemonier Willis Bowman

The offensive line would never know what was coming and who to block. Sack City