• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Calvin really did it.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaaaaaaaaand the Lions ruin another career that got off to a great start. Give them another few years and they'll probably get the best QB in the league but only roster 3 offensive linemen to protect him causing him to retire early too.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaaaaaaaaand the Lions ruin another career that got off to a great start. Give them another few years and they'll probably get the best QB in the league but only roster 3 offensive linemen to protect him causing him to retire early too.

He's not retiring early.

phantomfoul88

"Send Lawyers, Guns, and Money"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL, coming from a Bears fan.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not paying attention. Exactly my point about these "fans" from other teams. Calvin had a chance to play for another team years ago when he re signed here. Calvin could have asked for a trade anytime, never did. He's on record saying he loves Detroit, even if other teams fans need to shit on us. He doesn't want to play anywhere else. He's not in his prime anymore, and hasn't been for a couple years. He's hurt. He's older, and he doesn't want to play football anymore because of it. Real Calvin fans know this. Bandwagon Calvin fans (just like bandwagon Suh fans last year) can all beg for him to come play for their team. It's not happening.

You know Rob, I was buying into the Lions being at fault with him, much like Barry. I truly can't now. Him telling Matt and Tully and his family leans me towards him being done.

Now MM & MM2 surely never built around him and Suh. CJ saying those things after coming off a playoff year tells he was getting out before the legs and feet got worse

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? 30 isn't early? That's right after his prime. WRs like him usually last a lot longer than that.

Teams figured out early on in his career to just let him jump up and catch it, then take his knees out. He's been landing in his back from eight feet up in the air for 9 years. He's battled leg, ankle and finger injuries the past three or four years, missing most practices each week, sometimes so banged up he could only play decoy.

Unlike most WRs, he never could avoid big hits to his lower body. Injuries just took a toll on him being so big.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know Rob, I was buying into the Lions being at fault with him, much like Barry. I truly can't now. Him telling Matt and Tully and his family leans me towards him being done.

Now MM & MM2 surely never built around him and Suh. CJ saying those things after coming off a playoff year tells he was getting out before the legs and feet got worse

He probably didn't even want to play this year. Not every player is willing to trade injuries for money. I respect the guy from walking away from 26 million. Not that he isn't loaded anyways. But, still. Maybe he feels bad, knowing Mayhew overpaid him and it ended up hurting the team? I'd say that's possible. Calvin seems like the kind of guy who'd rather see Stafford win than himself.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no way the average joe would take the beating this guy has taken if they had the bank account he does now. I am glad to see him go out while he was still a decent player instead of hold on to long... and hopefully he can heal his body and have a decent life moving forward.

I know the kid he roomed with in college. Said Calvin Johnson is one of the most intelligent guys you will meet. I am sure he will do well for himself. Im glad he played for the Lions.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many idiots quit their job when they win a lotto that is worth much less than what CJ has made in his career?

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you serious? You are a Bears fan... The Bears have ruined more great players careers than any team in the division.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you serious? You are a Bears fan... The Bears have ruined more great players careers than any team in the division.
Hey, lets not get carried away. This dude is a dude nozzle on the Bears board too.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's great, but statistically no where near the top. In a few years he'll be forgotten by most people outside Detroit. I was surprised to see how far down he was on many WR stat categories.

Ah, OK. That at least is logical. He would need to play at least 3 years to get the numbers most like to see, but I think everyone is going to come to the realization that NFL players wont be playing 15 years anymore with exception of a few positions. If the HOF does not adjust, only QBs and OTs will have the numbers to get in any more.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OL, you're serious with that GOAT nonsense?

In the conversation? Sure, but he will be known as the guy who had potential of being the GOAT.
Longevity and career stats are two things that will not be on his resume IMO to be in that conversation. He was the greatest in the game for a period of time.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Lions informed coaching candidates during their 2014 search of "concerns doctors had for [Calvin] Johnson's longevity and the condition of his ankles."

This means the Lions have known any season could be Johnson's last for at least the last two years, and yet they still failed to adequately address the position in the last two drafts, which were two of the best receiver classes in recent memory. Dealing with real health concerns, all indications are Johnson is serious about retirement. He just turned 30 in September.

Why the hell didn't they tag Suh???!!!!??

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the conversation? Sure, but he will be known as the guy who had potential of being the GOAT.
Longevity and career stats are two things that will not be on his resume IMO to be in that conversation. He was the greatest in the game for a period of time.

True, unfortunately. Time is always a factor.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember the Antwaan Randle-El story a couple weeks ago about regretting playing in the NFL and having trouble walking up and down stairs in his mid-30's?

Randle-El played the same amount of years as Calvin, but had less than half the targets, receptions, yards, etc. in his career.