• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Calvin Johnson/ Cap question

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this hypothetical situation on saying the new GM decided to trade Calvin. I know there is a cap hit of 10+ million dollars or whatever. Same as Suh was this year.

Are there subsequent cap hits afterwards or just the next year only? For example, is Suh going to cost the team any cap hits for next season?

For the fans on this board. Saying we keep Stafford who is only 27 years old. Which direction would you like to see the next GM take?

1) Spend our cap money on free agent and try to win with CJ and Stafford now (next season).
or
2) Deal CJ for whatever picks we can get (Let's say a late 1st and a late 3rd) and build through the draft.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FA and trade players are expensive long term many times. I would rather draft and build a dynasty. That being said, it does not mean we have to get rid of CJ. Tulloch and Ngata alone are 15 mil that will go away next year. Plus Suhs money is almost 10 more and another 10 raise in the cap. thats 40 mil less about a 5 mil raise for Levy (which might be reversed depending on what comes out about his injury).

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id most likely be forced to cut him.

Imo he isn't tradeable.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this hypothetical situation on saying the new GM decided to trade Calvin. I know there is a cap hit of 10+ million dollars or whatever. Same as Suh was this year.

Are there subsequent cap hits afterwards or just the next year only? For example, is Suh going to cost the team any cap hits for next season?

Not sure about every situation, but CJ's dead money would all be against next years cap. Whether that be him cut or traded. Which is just shy of $13 million. I don't see a GM trading for him unless they had a new contract prior to the deal. His deal would have no guaranteed money left. However he's still owed hits of 16 million or better until 2019. Don't see any NFL GM doing that but the one that just got fired.

On that second part, the answer is no on Suh. Cut, FA or traded players dead money are accelerated to the following year. I could swear I read different on injured players once, where you can split it into two seasons. Just don't quote me on that.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the fans on this board. Saying we keep Stafford who is only 27 years old. Which direction would you like to see the next GM take?

1) Spend our cap money on free agent and try to win with CJ and Stafford now (next season).
or
2) Deal CJ for whatever picks we can get (Let's say a late 1st and a late 3rd) and build through the draft.

He's prolly forced to overpay for some FA's next year. For the fact I don't see neither being gone, I guess it's attempt to build with them. That side of the ball IMO may only need a LT. I could see a low level FA TE that can block. Maybe even a new power back for Smitty. For me I can't give up on Swanson. Still feel that was product of Lombardis scheme. No sacks in the GB game, may or may not indicate my thoughts were right. Will there be sacks in the future? Yes. Will they be of the turnstile variety? We shall see.

I would love if the new GM has the vision of a stout defense. I see a DT and DE being priority over two DBs. Need another S and my crystal ball tells me nothing of what they have in Carter and Diggs at CB. Whether it's FA or through the draft. After a LT, I see almost everything needing to be on defense.

gonemad69

The Hitman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love if the new GM has the vision of a stout defense.

^^^^ this and no tradin cj

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id most likely be forced to cut him.

Imo he isn't tradeable.

I'd find it hard pressed that some GM wouldn't roll the dice on CJ with the Salary cap jumping nearly 10 million per year. Some team close to winning it all. They could just agree on paying him most of his guaranteed money up front and him not trying to choke away games.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd find it hard pressed that some GM wouldn't roll the dice on CJ with the Salary cap jumping nearly 10 million per year. Some team close to winning it all. They could just agree on paying him most of his guaranteed money up front and him not trying to choke away games.
Maybe if somebody hires Mayhew.

Is the Cap expected to continue growing like that? Seems like it recently has been much more than the norm.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe if somebody hires Mayhew.

Is the Cap expected to continue growing like that? Seems like it recently has been much more than the norm.

The NFL continues to keep expanding and growing. Even overseas.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL continues to keep expanding and growing. Even overseas.
Sure. But the recent trend continuing seems like an unsure thing to me. I hope they can trade him. He's not Top Ten at his position anymore and will continue to go the other way. While his contract stays right there at Elite.

Time to move on from 81 either way imo. Was a nice statistical run while it lasted.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure. But the recent trend continuing seems like an unsure thing to me. I hope they can trade him. He's not Top Ten at his position anymore and will continue to go the other way. While his contract stays right there at Elite.

Time to move on from 81 either way imo. Was a nice statistical run while it lasted.

I'd like to see his stretch run with old cooter balls before judgement. We all know Lombardi was one of the worst O-coordinators in history of the NFL.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is this guy not already gone? He doesn't even care anymore.