• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Burrow Lobbying for Chase

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports out of Cincinnati is that Joe Burrow is starting to make it more known that he not only wouldn't mind playing with Ja'Marr Chase, but that he really wants to play with him again.

Burrow states, yeah, it is pretty easy to throw to Ja'Marr when he has 5 yards of separation on every play. He is a difference maker.

Should the Bengals listen to their star QB and make him happy by picking Chase if available? Or should they ignore his opinion and go Sewell in hopes that he pans out with where they decide to put him on the line? Granted, I know we need more offensive line, but I am thinking we can trade down a bit in the 2nd round, pick up an extra 3rd, and still draft Quinn Meinerz at OG in the 2nd round. I really like him. I think Teven Jenkins is going to go in the later 1st round, so we will not have a chance. But if he is there with our 2nd round pick, stay pat and draft him.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Basically every analyst I trust about the draft seems to think Chase is a surefire probowl caliber player. Personally I'd lean towards Pitts because elite receiving TEs are a much rarer commodity but I have no problem if Chase is the pick.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically every analyst I trust about the draft seems to think Chase is a surefire probowl caliber player. Personally I'd lean towards Pitts because elite receiving TEs are a much rarer commodity but I have no problem if Chase is the pick.

What about if protecting Joe Burrow means a blocking TE to help the line 80% of the time? 6 man line blocking while three WR's do damage across the field in Chase, Boyd and Higgins with Mixon out of the backfield? Would Pitts be completely wasted at that point?

Perhaps beefing up the OLINE in round two or 3 along with current signings, along with making the TE more of a blocker than receiver is the other way they plan to protect Burrow more while still giving him very dangerous weapons on the perimeter? Those 3 WR's would be very hard to cover even in a nickle package.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about if protecting Joe Burrow means a blocking TE to help the line 80% of the time? 6 man line blocking while three WR's do damage across the field in Chase, Boyd and Higgins with Mixon out of the backfield? Would Pitts be completely wasted at that point?

Perhaps beefing up the OLINE in round two or 3 along with current signings, along with making the TE more of a blocker than receiver is the other way they plan to protect Burrow more while still giving him very dangerous weapons on the perimeter? Those 3 WR's would be very hard to cover even in a nickle package.
You can do this, but I'll counter...many teams are getting deeper at CB. What causes the bigger mis-match? A 6'6" guy who can play WR and exploit those inside or outside mis-matches, or a WR, while good, may be playing a bit out of position and against some DB's who are pretty good with how the league is adapting to the spread offense.

I don't think you can go wrong with either here - but I still think Pitts elevates the team more overall than Chase does. This isn't to say Chase isn't good...it's more about the fact that this team already has Boyd and Higgins and can find comparable guys (not to Chase, but in general) to fill that 3rd slot. Pitts immediately becomes your best TE threat and elevates the entire TE room.

I think, though, we are starting to settle on the fact that - this team is going to WR/TE with their first pick, and likely look at OL in round 2 and maybe round 3 as well.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the one downside with taking a receiver in the top 5 is that people feel that this draft (and many recent drafts) have tons of value within the first 3 rounds. That's not the case for other positions.

But, you know, taking AJ Green in the top 5 was one of the best things this franchise has ever one. We can argue and debate about his performance in big games or some of the missed opportunities, but the fact is that he was an absolute star and a guy that two different offensive coordinators were able to use to leverage head-coaching opportunities. So, if there is a can't miss top-5 receiver that can have a major impact for a decade, I'll sign up.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the one downside with taking a receiver in the top 5 is that people feel that this draft (and many recent drafts) have tons of value within the first 3 rounds. That's not the case for other positions.

But, you know, taking AJ Green in the top 5 was one of the best things this franchise has ever one. We can argue and debate about his performance in big games or some of the missed opportunities, but the fact is that he was an absolute star and a guy that two different offensive coordinators were able to use to leverage head-coaching opportunities. So, if there is a can't miss top-5 receiver that can have a major impact for a decade, I'll sign up.
Agreed, but guys like AJ Green and Julio came in with a ton of fan-fare. I just don't see that, or hear that, from Chase. Maybe missing a year hurts, but he also just doesn't scream AJ Green to me. If I'm taking a guy top 5, he better be at the very top of his position - and there seems to be a lot of debate about who is really the best take at WR (for me, it is Chase, likely, because I think all the other guys are better suited for slot roles at this point - and you don't draft slot guys in the 1st round unless you are the Bengals and select Peter Warrick and convince yourself he can be a #1 outside WR...but I digress...).

Pitts is the clear guy at TE - and most agree he has that once in a decade type ability. He has WR ability in a 6'6" 240-250lb body. For me, he's the pick that not only you can say best player available and not find a ton of arguments with Chase, Smith, Sewell on the board - but you also immediately upgrade a position that Burrow targets and will create mis-matches all over the field. He also played last year compared to both Chase and Sewell, which carries a bit of weight with me personally, because I got to see him and watch him. Sewell last played a year ago, and struggled against the best team they faced in Auburn. The rest of the PAC12 isn't great, to be kind. Chase had a great season, but Burrow was literally setting college passing records, and that entire offense was ridiculous. Can he continue to get behind top NFL DB's like he did a year ago? I'd like to have seen more film.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but guys like AJ Green and Julio came in with a ton of fan-fare. I just don't see that, or hear that, from Chase. Maybe missing a year hurts, but he also just doesn't scream AJ Green to me. If I'm taking a guy top 5, he better be at the very top of his position - and there seems to be a lot of debate about who is really the best take at WR (for me, it is Chase, likely, because I think all the other guys are better suited for slot roles at this point - and you don't draft slot guys in the 1st round unless you are the Bengals and select Peter Warrick and convince yourself he can be a #1 outside WR...but I digress...).

Pitts is the clear guy at TE - and most agree he has that once in a decade type ability. He has WR ability in a 6'6" 240-250lb body. For me, he's the pick that not only you can say best player available and not find a ton of arguments with Chase, Smith, Sewell on the board - but you also immediately upgrade a position that Burrow targets and will create mis-matches all over the field. He also played last year compared to both Chase and Sewell, which carries a bit of weight with me personally, because I got to see him and watch him. Sewell last played a year ago, and struggled against the best team they faced in Auburn. The rest of the PAC12 isn't great, to be kind. Chase had a great season, but Burrow was literally setting college passing records, and that entire offense was ridiculous. Can he continue to get behind top NFL DB's like he did a year ago? I'd like to have seen more film.
Chase is absolutely not a slot guy. He is the definition of a deep threat that requires double teaming. As a 19 year old in a 15-0 season, with Burrow and Justin Jefferson, who was a 1st round pick and had one of the great rookie WR seasons ever, who lost out on ROTY thanks to Herbert, Chase was a difference maker.

As a 19 year old, on a National Championship team, he was the one teams double covered because he was so deadly in space. He left guys shoeless on his breaks and jukes. He flat out beat guys with his playing speed, is aggressive as hell with his attacking the ball at the high point and making tacklers miss. He had 84 catches for 1780 with 20 TD's and a 21.2 average per catch season against the best defensive groups in college football. That season, Burrow and Chase faced like 8(?) top 10 defenses that year. Burrow and that whole offense was unstoppable, but that was also due to Chase taking the top off the field and demanding double coverage as a 19 year old on his way to a ridiculous season. Justin Jefferson benefited from Chase demanding double coverage, and now we come to find out last year, Justin Jefferson is a star in his own right, but still benefited from Chase demanding double coverage or at the very least over under coverage in a lot of cases. Burrow said even with that shaded coverage, Chase always seemed open by 5 yards on every play.

If Joe Burrow wants Chase and would rather settle for an average TE, I say give the kid the toys he wants and let him become happy and something special.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chase is absolutely not a slot guy. He is the definition of a deep threat that requires double teaming. As a 19 year old in a 15-0 season, with Burrow and Justin Jefferson, who was a 1st round pick and had one of the great rookie WR seasons ever, who lost out on ROTY thanks to Herbert, Chase was a difference maker.

As a 19 year old, on a National Championship team, he was the one teams double covered because he was so deadly in space. He left guys shoeless on his breaks and jukes. He flat out beat guys with his playing speed, is aggressive as hell with his attacking the ball at the high point and making tacklers miss. He had 84 catches for 1780 with 20 TD's and a 21.2 average per catch season against the best defensive groups in college football. That season, Burrow and Chase faced like 8(?) top 10 defenses that year. Burrow and that whole offense was unstoppable, but that was also due to Chase taking the top off the field and demanding double coverage as a 19 year old on his way to a ridiculous season. Justin Jefferson benefited from Chase demanding double coverage, and now we come to find out last year, Justin Jefferson is a star in his own right, but still benefited from Chase demanding double coverage or at the very least over under coverage in a lot of cases. Burrow said even with that shaded coverage, Chase always seemed open by 5 yards on every play.

If Joe Burrow wants Chase and would rather settle for an average TE, I say give the kid the toys he wants and let him become happy and something special.
Here's the thing, though - neither really is Boyd, or Higgins....so.......

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing, though - neither really is Boyd, or Higgins....so.......
Boyd may not have been a slot guy, but he turned into one of the best slot receivers in the league in my opinion. So if he stays there, then Chase can continue to be an outside WR and do his thing. he doesn't have to be converted to slot like Boyd did.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boyd may not have been a slot guy, but he turned into one of the best slot receivers in the league in my opinion. So if he stays there, then Chase can continue to be an outside WR and do his thing. he doesn't have to be converted to slot like Boyd did.
There may be times Boyd, and others, line up in the slot - but Boyd has mainly been an outside guy and has been damned productive at it (as you already know).

I don't see either Boyd or Higgins moving to the slot. Not that it's really that big of a deal. Bigger point - the WR already has 2 really good WR's. Adding a 3rd is a luxury pick, in my mind, when you get almost nothing from a play-making standpoint out of the TE group.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There may be times Boyd, and others, line up in the slot - but Boyd has mainly been an outside guy and has been damned productive at it (as you already know).

I don't see either Boyd or Higgins moving to the slot. Not that it's really that big of a deal. Bigger point - the WR already has 2 really good WR's. Adding a 3rd is a luxury pick, in my mind, when you get almost nothing from a play-making standpoint out of the TE group.
Just preparing you for what is probably going to happen.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just preparing you for what is probably going to happen.
If they take Chase, I'm not going to hate the pick. You really can't go wrong with Chase, or Pitts, or Sewell, or a trade down. I mean, the difference between Chase and Pitts is splitting hairs. The reason I give the edge to Pitts is because Chase looks to project out as a Pro-Bowl WR. Very good. Pitts projects out as a generational TE. So, slight edge there. Then when you look at the roster, you have 2 really good WR's already and not so much at TE. So, edge to Pitts again.

At the end of the day - they look to both be very good players who will help Burrow. Again, they will grade out pretty much the same - so it isn't like it's a severe drop off from one to the other. Either guy will be fine. I just have a preference.

I like Sewell, but the more I think about him not playing a year - the ability to land an OT in round 2 (or OG), Reiff signing for at least a year - and not trusting the P12 competition - I think I would probably pass on him.

Leatherwood is projecting more to a OG at this level, but I think he could probably be a good RT. Cosmi is interesting because he's projected at OT at this level, but many still think he ends up at OG as well - but his pass-pro has been outstanding in a league that throws the ball a ton. Not sure if he projects to a RT at all, but if he does, then he's an interesting guy to watch as well.

If they go Chase and then OT in round 2 - I'd be interested in seeing the TE from Miami. I think he's a sleeper at that position. He's not Pitts, but I think he'd be an upgrade in the passing game - and had a really good season this year for Miami. However, likely more is the team looking for DE's or LB's at this point more than another offensive guy, but you never know.

Last edited:

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they take Chase, I'm not going to hate the pick. You really can't go wrong with Chase, or Pitts, or Sewell, or a trade down. I mean, the difference between Chase and Pitts is splitting hairs. The reason I give the edge to Pitts is because Chase looks to project out as a Pro-Bowl WR. Very good. Pitts projects out as a generational TE. So, slight edge there. Then when you look at the roster, you have 2 really good WR's already and not so much at TE. So, edge to Pitts again.

At the end of the day - they look to both be very good players who will help Burrow. Again, they will grade out pretty much the same - so it isn't like it's a severe drop off from one to the other. Either guy will be fine. I just have a preference.

I like Sewell, but the more I think about him not playing a year - the ability to land an OT in round 2 (or OG), Reiff signing for at least a year - and not trusting the P12 competition - I think I would probably pass on him.

Leatherwood is projecting more to a OG at this level, but I think he could probably be a good RT. Cosmi is interesting because he's projected at OT at this level, but many still think he ends up at OG as well - but his pass-pro has been outstanding in a league that throws the ball a ton. Not sure if he projects to a RT at all, but if he does, then he's an interesting guy to watch as well.

If they go Chase and then OT in round 2 - I'd be interested in seeing the TE from Miami. I think he's a sleeper at that position. He's not Pitts, but I think he'd be an upgrade in the passing game - and had a really good season this year for Miami. However, likely more is the team looking for DE's or LB's at this point more than another offensive guy, but you never know.
Why is it a big deal that Sewell didn't play last year, but not a big deal that Chase didn't?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it a big deal that Sewell didn't play last year, but not a big deal that Chase didn't?
I forgot to add that on my list for Chase, but I have mentioned it before. I like the fact that I was able to see Pitts play and review recent film compared to 2 guys who had really good seasons and then sat on that season rather than put more film out there.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot to add that on my list for Chase, but I have mentioned it before. I like the fact that I was able to see Pitts play and review recent film compared to 2 guys who had really good seasons and then sat on that season rather than put more film out there.
Chase is still really young and has one less year of wear and tear on his body. Same can be said for Sewell. However, experts are starting to rate Slater a better draft prospect than Sewell now. Something has these guys changing their minds, not sure what it is. Granted, it is only a few right now, but that is a few more than it was.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the argument is that Chase's big 2019 season featured a lot of top competition while everyone is focused on one game (Auburn) for Sewell. I don't have strong opinions about them missing last season. I assume they are in shape and coachable.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
However, experts are starting to rate Slater a better draft prospect than Sewell now. Something has these guys changing their minds, not sure what it is. Granted, it is only a few right now, but that is a few more than it was.

I think as you get closer to the draft insight on actual NFL teams draft boards starts to leak and it changes media perception. I dont think anything about Mac Jones has changed recently except that certain front offices place a higher value on his skillset than the draftnik community and we're finding that out.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Here's my rationale in favor of Pitts.

There's an argument that Stefon Diggs is the best WR in the NFL. The Vikings traded him for a late first round pick and found a comparable replacement with that same pick. There's absolutely no way the Chiefs are finding a comparable replacement TE for Travis Kelce or the Raiders for Waller or the Niners Kittle. There's only a handful of elite receiving TEs while there's a dozen fairly interchangeable elite WRs and another dozen who can still function as number 1 wrs with the right QB and in the right system.

I have no issue with Chase or either of the tackles but I perfer Pitts as maybe your one and only chance to land a game changing TE.