• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Burnside Article

TheSgtDabbs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think he's way too harsh on the situation. He has been "predicting" the Devils fall since the lockout, and now that it has finally happened it sounds like he is gloating about it. True, bad decisions finally caught up to them, but every team goes through this at some point. For instance, he made reference to the lack on young talent. This is true to some degree, but it's not so much bad decisions as it is not having high draft picks due to making the playoffs every year since 96-97. Look at the Pens, they sucked bad for four years to get the picks to make the team they have, not to mention they were lucky enough to win the crosby lottery. Good for them, but the Devils are about winning and being competitive every year. I'm not saying the Pens tanked it on purpose, but they weren't managed as well as the Devils at that time.

Still, we can see from recent playoff failures that this might be coming. So, at some point, soon, the team will have to rebuild. We just have to hope that the fans stick by the team through it, which is always a concern.

NJDev4

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree to an extent also but think he went over the top. But I guess he has to sell the stuff he writes. There is plenty of great young talent here.

TiLoBrown

Way too mad about Rep!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only person I remotly care about from is E.J., oh and Melrose. Pretty much every other person from the network has been saying the Devils will fall for 5+ years. If you say anything for 5 straight years its bound to come true sooner or later. To same extent, they always pick the Red Wings and a Cup finalist along with about 4 other random teams...but since theyre picking a winner its not really the same.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was no need for Burnside to use ince$t as a way to describe Lou's way of doing business.

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What part do u agree with?

His contradiction about taking in old players and then saying the devils are gonna suffer by letting langs go.

Or maybe his contradiction by saying lemaire looked too tired last year and then proceed to say that his retirement was a sham.

Maybe its him calling the salvador and zubrus contracts bad when most fans think they are reasonable.

He even brings up parise's contract by saying it will be impossible to sign. Did he think to look if any of those expensive contracts are expiring this year?

The article covered a few good points but the majority was made up speculation that is both wrong and shows his bias against the team

Last edited by a moderator:

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What part do u agree with?

His contradiction about taking in old players and then saying the devils are gonna suffer by letting langs go.

Or maybe his contradiction by saying lemaire looked too tired last year and then proceed to say that his retirement was a sham.

Maybe its him calling the salvador and zubrus contracts bad when most fans think they are reasonable.

He even brings up parise's contract by saying it will be impossible to sign. Did he think to look if any of those expensive contracts are expiring this year?

The article covered

Never fear, he probably said the Devils couldn't get Kovalchuk either.

DevFan60

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with most of this article. First - ship has to be stopped from sinking. Then start rebuilding, which includes getting rid of old/aged, non-performing players. Decide who is going to be new core of the team and re-build team around it. We only can state our opinions here. Mine is based on current and future signings: Core - Kovy, Sign long term Parise, keep Elias, A-train, Clarkson; let go or trade Brodeur, Rolston, Langenbruner, White, Tallinder, Green. Bring in new blood; puck moving defs a must. Tedenby, Josefson, Vasyunov should be allowed this season to play to mature and be ready for next season. Lou should be fired, and then new GM will have courage to do these changes. :confused:

devs30rko

Senior citizen 0.o
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is burnside jumping up and down saying 'look! Look! I was right!'

Part of me thinks this past off-season was about changing the culture of this team, and altering the core slightly. Of the 3 new players the only one I'm truly not happy with is tallinder. This team is out of sorts but I trust kovy will return to star form, whether its this year ir next.

This off-season you will see age moved out and more youth in. Langs Arnott (as well as he's played) roll, even Marty are at the end of their rope, and their time, as sad as it may be, is at its end.

I look forward to the potential of a core of parise kovy teddy josefson a train, and maybe a Larsson?