• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bullpen Breakdown

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Affeldt retiring, Petit signing with the Nats, and guys getting towards the end of their runs with the Giants (Romo?, Lopez?, Camilla?), how do you guys see the bully shaping up this season and next?

Strickland, Kontos, and Osich seem to be locks for the pen. I know we have quite a few arms in the minors that on paper seem to be good fits like Okert and Black.

Does anyone think a FA signing and/or trade or two is imminent or if the season started tomorrow, would you be happy with what we have in the pen?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is how I see the composition...

Closer: KCYa, but dont be surprised to see Kontos or Strickland to take the job by years end. Black is a dark-horse here as well.

LOOGY: Lopez. Okert will be given lots of work here as well.

ROOGY: Romo. Strickland will looks as well.

Long Lefty: Osich. Okert will compete also.

Long Righty: Kontos / Strickland.

Swing: Heston. Blackburn, Mejia, Stratton, Beede, Blach all waiting in the wings for an opening.

No room for a FA, IMHO.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I don't see the Giants running with a 13 man pitching staff the majority of the season like last year.

The Giants will probably sign a few veterans to compete in Spring, but I agree with the above in how it will turn out. That is, unless the Giants trade a young bullpen pitcher+ for a LFer. Certainly possible.

Romo, Casilla and Lopez are all FA's at season's end, so they're pitching for their baseball lives.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, between the vets pitching in their contract years, and the young guns who are so close to being stars and mainstays, the bullpen is one area I would be willing to stand pat. If needed, we can always try to cut a deal for a closer at mid-year.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, between the vets pitching in their contract years, and the young guns who are so close to being stars and mainstays, the bullpen is one area I would be willing to stand pat. If needed, we can always try to cut a deal for a closer at mid-year.

I'm not necessarily advocating for change. I am in LA so I am not often privy to the scuttlebutt on the details of Giants baseball, which is why this board is so important to a baseball nerd like me. The problem is that I look at the Giants with orange colored glasses and look at our minor leagues expecting Ray Black to be the second coming of Brian Wilson minus the weird or Okert to simply step in and be the multi-inning stopper that Affeldt was for us for so long without the day to day knowledge of how close they truly are to getting a legit shot in the bigs. So hearing how other baseball nerds view our bully is helpful.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not necessarily advocating for change. I am in LA so I don't often am privy to the scuttlebutt on the details of Giants baseball, which is why this board is so important to a baseball nerd like me. The problem is that I look at the Giants with orange colored glasses and look at our minor leagues expecting Ray Black to be the second coming of Brian Wilson minus the weird or Okert to simply step in and be the multi-inning stopper that Affeldt was for us for so long without the day to day knowledge of how close they truly are to getting a legit shot in the bigs. So hearing how other baseball nerds view our bully is helpful.
Cool. I was just answering your very good, hot stove question about the bullpen. We could have used a lockdown closer last year before we played ourselves out of it. I was even pushing pretty hard for Papelbon, but I guess the FO thought they knew better than me. :whistle: So what do I know?