• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bulletin Board

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are 100% correct. But some people feel the need to be spiritually reassured.
It's like ranking the schedule this year based on last years team records. Apples and oranges and there ain't no dessert that contains both.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's like ranking the schedule this year based on last years team records. Apples and oranges and there ain't no dessert that contains both.
apple-orange-salad-recipe-1973808

1625330231603.png

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since they can't rank the schedule by this year's record, how else can they do it? I'll add this: as you imply, this method isn't ideal however there probably isn't an ideal way to do it... Therefore the best answer is to choose the best wrong answer.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Therefore the best answer is to choose the best wrong answer.
The problem is that last year's teams records have no bearing on those teams records this year. If the Chiefs plane had crashed on the way home after the Super Bowl, Would any their schedule against anyone this year be at all accurate? It's nothing more than a way to attract attention. The only team that has every player from last year is Tampa Bay. Think that will change? Think every draft pick will be placed on the Practice Squad? Thin the Jets and Jags will finish 32 and 31 in 2021? I'm not trying to be a jerk, it's just that trying to determine anything based on a performance a year ago is crazy.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that last year's teams records have no bearing on those teams records this year. If the Chiefs plane had crashed on the way home after the Super Bowl, Would any their schedule against anyone this year be at all accurate? It's nothing more than a way to attract attention. The only team that has every player from last year is Tampa Bay. Think that will change? Think every draft pick will be placed on the Practice Squad? Thin the Jets and Jags will finish 32 and 31 in 2021? I'm not trying to be a jerk, it's just that trying to determine anything based on a performance a year ago is crazy.
Think about this way... What would be more fair? A random schedule? The league wants each team to have a greater opportunity to make the playoffs and keep it's fanbase interested. You do that by giving some teams an easier schedule. It also gives other teams a more difficult schedule, like the team that was a surprise contender last year but was punching above its weight class.

This system also helps build rivalries. How many times have the Pats played the Colts, Steelers, and Broncos through the years as opposed to the Jags and Bungles.

There's a second undertone of unfairness too. By rotating divisions played for the division vs division play when not all divisions provide an equal level of competition. But this, to keep all teams relevant and interesting to each fanbase, means a vastly different strength of schedule.

But inherently none of this is unfair since it impacts all teams the same way. There's nothing artificial that distinctly benefits one team over another.

Lastly, don't forget the equalizer (maybe not exactly equal, but...), you lose and get rewarded by better draft placement .

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think about this way... What would be more fair? A random schedule?
That's not what I'm talking about. When you base the strength of a team's schedule on a previous year's record that's stupid. The schedule rotation as it presently stands is fine. I'm not sure if I'll get this right but here goes.

Let's say that the Patriots play the same schedule as this year but the team records are different.

The NFCS has TB at 14-2. NO at 12-4. Atlanta at 12-4 and Carolina at 9-7 in 2020
The AFCS has Tenn at 14-2, IND at 13-3, Jags at 11-5 and HOU at 9-7 in 2020
The AFCE was BUF at 14-2, Mia at 11-5. Pats at 10-6 and the Jets t 10-6 in 2020
the other two teams they play are 9-7

The Patriots, Bills, Jets and Fins would all have a strength of schedule right around .570. for 2021. The problem isn't the schedule, it's using outdated data to come up with a prediction of future performance. All of these teams could be 7-10 in 2022. Hence using last year's data has zero relevance on this year's team performance. It's something that someone came up with to pass the time waiting for real football to be played, but has become a big thing.

My nephew just graduated with a degree in electrical engineering and was near the top of his class. He took a job with Amazon working for AWS. He's going to be working on program enhancements for the NFL. He told me that the first thing that he was told is "AWS never looks back. Only the future is what's going to drive us. Mistakes are history and we learn from them, we don't spend time on them because tomorrow comes too fast."

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not what I'm talking about. When you base the strength of a team's schedule on a previous year's record that's stupid. The schedule rotation as it presently stands is fine. I'm not sure if I'll get this right but here goes.

Let's say that the Patriots play the same schedule as this year but the team records are different.

The NFCS has TB at 14-2. NO at 12-4. Atlanta at 12-4 and Carolina at 9-7 in 2020
The AFCS has Tenn at 14-2, IND at 13-3, Jags at 11-5 and HOU at 9-7 in 2020
The AFCE was BUF at 14-2, Mia at 11-5. Pats at 10-6 and the Jets t 10-6 in 2020
the other two teams they play are 9-7

The Patriots, Bills, Jets and Fins would all have a strength of schedule right around .570. for 2021. The problem isn't the schedule, it's using outdated data to come up with a prediction of future performance. All of these teams could be 7-10 in 2022. Hence using last year's data has zero relevance on this year's team performance. It's something that someone came up with to pass the time waiting for real football to be played, but has become a big thing.
but stupid is relative. Stupid has to be stupid compared to something... Should we base the schedule on a future year's record? Well, we can't do that... How else could you do it other than completely random? Also, the example you give has nothing to do with basing the schedule on performance since you are giving it based on division rotation. In reality, discussing a schedule based on previous record is almost pointless because only 2 games are scheduled that way. 8 games are against rotating divisions 6 games are in the division. That leaves 2 games against the teams in the conference divisions not played that year and on the same division place level from the prior season.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you see my point caterpillar.
What? Numbers lie? After your complaining about the schedule based on prior season records turns out to impact only 1/8th of the games you can't say "oh yeah, I guess that's right?" instead you mock the response? And you wonder why several posters "hassle you" from time to time.

This was a straight up discussion.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since 2015 the Broncos Board has had a Poster of the Month. @Draftcrazy makes the selection and I've never seen anyone bitch.

Not the most posts but someone who has posted interesting information and started both interesting and controversial threads.

Basically, we have had about 7 or 8 regulars during the off season but it might keep the wanderers around inspire them to contribute.

What say you all?

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since 2015 the Broncos Board has had a Poster of the Month. @Draftcrazy makes the selection and I've never seen anyone bitch.

Not the most posts but someone who has posted interesting information and started both interesting and controversial threads.

Basically, we have had about 7 or 8 regulars during the off season but it might keep the wanderers around inspire them to contribute.

What say you all?

Sure.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What say you all?
I think it would do more harm than good once everyone gets bored with me winning month after month after month. :)

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players who were great and quickly forgotten after 2020.

Adrian Phillips led the Patriots in tackles with 114

Ja'Waun Bentley had 96 tackles.

Chase Winovich led the Patriots with 5.5 sacks.

JC Jackson was 2nd in the NFL with 8 INTs

Patriots defense led the NFL in 2020 with 27 INTs

The honesty of it was that the defense played better than the record indicates. The offense shit the bed.