• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Broncos vs. Panthers

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well here we go. Weird to think Broncos at one point were considered one of the worst rosters in football and now are 9 or 10 point favorites in a game.

Looks like Surtain should be back being a full participant in practice and only player that is probably in risk of missing right now is Palczewski. Locke and McGlinchey were limited but guessing that is more of a precaution than anything.

Panthers with a lot of bad going on right now. Starting QB Dalton injured in a wreck so now Young will be starting. They also had Dane Jackson, Diontae JOhnson, A'Shawn Robinson, and Nick Scott all not practicing yesterday. Another 12 players were limited in practice.

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% trap game. Broncos should win, but could be closer than expected. Time for Nix to start hitting the big plays from the pocket. They will be there and if I were Evero I would elect to contain and perhaps even spy Nix making him win from the pocket. I think we will see that from a lot of defenses going forward.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I want to predict a 28-7 type decisive win, this is the kind of game the Broncos have left us heartbroken over way too many times in the past. Teams like the Panthers can still rally and do some damage. These are all profoundly good athletes.

But as reluctant as I am to predict a decisive win, I am also wanting to believe in this young Broncos team and the culture of winning they are working to create. So I am not predicting an upset win for the Panthers. Broncos take it 17-13, a game everyone says is closer than it should have been. But this is the NFL and they aren't getting points for style.

A win is a win.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking the trap game happened for us against the Chargers. Broncos were riding high and getting a ton of national attention. I saw multiple players getting calls from ESPN, NFL Network, etc. to come speak on the resurgence of this surprise team. They looked asleep throughout that Chargers game and very unprepared on both sides of the ball.

I don't think that happens this week. I think they realize how big this game is with the next two being on the road against maybe the best and 2nd best team in football right now. So lose this one and possibly kiss the playoffs goodbye.

I think this will be a good game for Nix. Panthers banged up on the defensive side of the ball plus I think they will be trying to sell out to stop the run. Our WR's should have some 1-on-1 shots in this one and guys are starting to show they have the ability to get separation. Especially Franklin. I think he is about to have a really big 2nd half of the season.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking the trap game happened for us against the Chargers. Broncos were riding high and getting a ton of national attention. I saw multiple players getting calls from ESPN, NFL Network, etc. to come speak on the resurgence of this surprise team. They looked asleep throughout that Chargers game and very unprepared on both sides of the ball.

I don't think that happens this week. I think they realize how big this game is with the next two being on the road against maybe the best and 2nd best team in football right now. So lose this one and possibly kiss the playoffs goodbye.

I think this will be a good game for Nix. Panthers banged up on the defensive side of the ball plus I think they will be trying to sell out to stop the run. Our WR's should have some 1-on-1 shots in this one and guys are starting to show they have the ability to get separation. Especially Franklin. I think he is about to have a really big 2nd half of the season.
I agree with CD here - I think this game is more of an opportunity to take off for a roll on the season.

Orangeisback

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always a bit weary of crappy QBs that the Broncos are supposed to beat. Mind you i recall Ryan Leaf and Jarmcus Russell having their best games of their crappy careers against the Broncos in Denver. There were others too but i cant think of them right now.

Just gets me a bit nervous

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Panthers final injury report came out. They have 9 players with a designation of out or doubtful. Those include Dalton, Jackson, Johnson, Thielen, and Scott.

They also only have 2 safeties on their roster that will possibly be playing. I'm sure they will call someone up to help at the position, but with how much safeties are a big part of special teams I have to think this could be a big week for our returners to make something happen.

This will be the second week in a row the Broncos have seen all starting WR's injured and a young QB having to throw to backups. They do still have Legette at WR but with Surtain back he should be able to eliminate the rookie for the most part.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see a convincing victory on Sunday. Payton will not let the troops take the Panthers lightly. 28 - 9.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PJ Locke is doubtful.

Josey Jewell is very questionable against his former team. Also, earlier this week former Bronco Jonathan Harris joined Evero in Carolina.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope everyone who is confident of a big win is right. I would love to see the Broncos put out a 41-6 blowout win. That was so much fun to see the way they evicerated the Raiders and Saints. The Panthers are not in a good place right now. I just think with our young offense we won't see as big a win as everyone hopes.

And it won't matter. A win makes us 5-3. We get full credit for a win even if it's closer than it "should" be because of a bottom tier opponent.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope everyone who is confident of a big win is right. I would love to see the Broncos put out a 41-6 blowout win. That was so much fun to see the way they evicerated the Raiders and Saints. The Panthers are not in a good place right now. I just think with our young offense we won't see as big a win as everyone hopes.

And it won't matter. A win makes us 5-3. We get full credit for a win even if it's closer than it "should" be because of a bottom tier opponent.

I would agree. I know some are talking about how this is a "style points" type game that if we barely win then it is a sign of this team not being very good. I disagree with that. This is a young team that is going to have some outstanding games like we have seen a few times this year, but will also have some games where not everything is clicking. They are still learning how to win consistently so getting out of this one with a win considering the next two games on the road against maybe the best two teams in football would be huge whether it is by 1 point or 30 points.

My one big concern in this one is I was hoping it would be Andy Dalton at QB. Bryce Young has to know this is his last shot to earn the starting job the rest of the season for the Panthers or even whether a team will want him in a trade. A player that is desperate like that could come out and do a few things that otherwise wouldn't happen. I always think about the movie "The Replacements" where he tells them there is no tomorrow because for them there wasn't and for Young he might be feeling that way.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree. I know some are talking about how this is a "style points" type game that if we barely win then it is a sign of this team not being very good. I disagree with that. This is a young team that is going to have some outstanding games like we have seen a few times this year, but will also have some games where not everything is clicking. They are still learning how to win consistently so getting out of this one with a win considering the next two games on the road against maybe the best two teams in football would be huge whether it is by 1 point or 30 points.

My one big concern in this one is I was hoping it would be Andy Dalton at QB. Bryce Young has to know this is his last shot to earn the starting job the rest of the season for the Panthers or even whether a team will want him in a trade. A player that is desperate like that could come out and do a few things that otherwise wouldn't happen. I always think about the movie "The Replacements" where he tells them there is no tomorrow because for them there wasn't and for Young he might be feeling that way.
Remember that 2015 Broncos team was a good team, and it took a pair of back to back sacks to knock the winless Browns out of field goal range to lock in a win. That was with a generationally epic defense and Peyton Manning at QB.

So yeah, style points don't matter.

Winning while learning is huge. So if this is a close final score, most likely a low scoring game in that event, I'll be satisfied with progress this team is making. Just winning is progress: This is the kind of game recent Broncos teams would have lost.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Regarding Bryce Young, that is exactly the kind of thing I have concerns for. We've just seen it too many times, players choose to have their last ditch coming out effort against the Broncos. With that in mind, one can make a case that the Broncos defense is the best in the league when you factor the various rankings, QB pressures, scoring, sacks, turnovers, etc. Vance Joseph has this unit playing elite ball. I do think he'll have them ready to go for this one.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Young had all his weapons playing I might be a bit more nervous for him having a big game. He could be perfect and they still could struggle on offense.

It was like last week for Rattler. I don’t think even if he was at his best that it would have made too much of a difference because the lack of talent around him made it tough to be successful.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will never take a game lightly after a few years back going to a Giants/Broncos game where the Giants had about a dozen players out for the game... Mostly keep players too including, Odell, Oliver Vernon, Victor Cruz. I think they were down to their top 3 WRs out and top few pass rushers and a bunch of key players and we still lost. Anyone who knows anything about the NFL knows there is no "easy" game... Unless, of course you're the Kansas City Chiefs.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Young had all his weapons playing I might be a bit more nervous for him having a big game. He could be perfect and they still could struggle on offense.

It was like last week for Rattler. I don’t think even if he was at his best that it would have made too much of a difference because the lack of talent around him made it tough to be successful.

I think the home crowd is going to be behind this defense too. And really do its part to rattle Young. This 4-3 Broncos team is generating some real excitement and I think the fans are going to be into it today.