• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos v Pats thread

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing... I'm not using injuries as an excuse but as a recognition that (as injuries are part of any game), some are more impactful to a particular game than others.

For example: In the beginning of the game, the Patriots run defense was pretty decent. Hightower goes down and it seemed the Denver running game gets a second wind. Was that due to:

1. Hightower going out
2. An inspired performance by CJ Anderson
3. The Run defense wearing down as the game progresses
4. Parts of all three.

The correct answer, of course, is 4 but as a Patriots fan, I noticed Hightower and went "uh oh" and dang if the Denver running game did suddenly get better.

I didn't follow the Denver D near as much so I can't comment as well on the loss of Ward. So I'll ask Denver fans did they notice the droppoff in the D after Ward went down?

Sooooo...

Even with all All-Pros, imo the loss of Hightower was probably more significant than Ware being out.

I have no explanation for the throws by Osweiller at the end of the game btw. They were just on the money.

I like both Malcom Butler and Logan Ryan for the most part. Generally they're "pretty decent" but they can be beat from time to time.

(Obviously all games are like this and Denver absolutely deserves the win, but for the next one?? ;))

Ware was leading the league in Sacks before he went out with injury. So yes I do think him being in makes a huge impact. The Broncos since he went out have averaged giving up 23.6 points per game. In the games that Ware has played the Broncos are only giving up 14.83 points per game. So more than a touchdown difference. I would say that is a major impact. You have to remember Ware is our defensive captain. He is the guy on the field that makes sure everybody is doing their job correctly and keeps guys calm when things are not going to plan. Then you add what he actually does on the field and yeah I would say that is a bigger loss than Hightower.

As for Ward and Williams being out I'm not sure completely on how much them being out impacted the game. I do know the drive after they went out the Patriots scored their 2nd touchdown to go up 14-0 and Ward's replacement was late getting over on the touchdown pass. I will say the Broncos defense still played pretty decent without them. I would say Ware was much more important than that of Ward or Williams but both of those guy still have been important parts as well.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ware was leading the league in Sacks before he went out with injury. So yes I do think him being in makes a huge impact. The Broncos since he went out have averaged giving up 23.6 points per game. In the games that Ware has played the Broncos are only giving up 14.83 points per game. So more than a touchdown difference. I would say that is a major impact. You have to remember Ware is our defensive captain. He is the guy on the field that makes sure everybody is doing their job correctly and keeps guys calm when things are not going to plan. Then you add what he actually does on the field and yeah I would say that is a bigger loss than Hightower.

As for Ward and Williams being out I'm not sure completely on how much them being out impacted the game. I do know the drive after they went out the Patriots scored their 2nd touchdown to go up 14-0 and Ward's replacement was late getting over on the touchdown pass. I will say the Broncos defense still played pretty decent without them. I would say Ware was much more important than that of Ward or Williams but both of those guy still have been important parts as well.

For me I'm just focusing on the losses in the game itself. Sure Ware is a big loss but so is Edelman.

No teams really are 100% at this point in the season. That's a wash for me

My question was whether the loss of Ward (and the other guy) created a tipping point where the Patriots took advantage. It sounds like enough for the Pats to come up with a big play.

To me Hightowner was a huge injury in the game and it showed (even with Anderson's performance)

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me I'm just focusing on the losses in the game itself. Sure Ware is a big loss but so is Edelman.

No teams really are 100% at this point in the season. That's a wash for me

My question was whether the loss of Ward (and the other guy) created a tipping point where the Patriots took advantage. It sounds like enough for the Pats to come up with a big play.

To me Hightowner was a huge injury in the game and it showed (even with Anderson's performance)

I'm not sure what all the impact was. Like I said the Pats scored on the drive following Ward and Williams going out. So do the Pats only score maybe a field goal on that drive (after the Broncos interception) because Ward is where he is supposed to be unlike his replacement that was late getting over to his zone spot? We don't know. Same with Hightower of how much was it him being out that the run game was able to take off? Do the Broncos still have success we just don't know. We don't know with Vasquez going out being our best pass blocker does Osweiler take that sack that knocks them way out of field goal range where his replacement lost his assignment on that play? We just don't know. You can say the team would do better with Hightower in and most likely they do but we just don't know how much of an impact those players being in makes in the actual outcome of the game.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what all the impact was. Like I said the Pats scored on the drive following Ward and Williams going out. So do the Pats only score maybe a field goal on that drive (after the Broncos interception) because Ward is where he is supposed to be unlike his replacement that was late getting over to his zone spot? We don't know. Same with Hightower of how much was it him being out that the run game was able to take off? Do the Broncos still have success we just don't know. We don't know with Vasquez going out being our best pass blocker does Osweiler take that sack that knocks them way out of field goal range where his replacement lost his assignment on that play? We just don't know. You can say the team would do better with Hightower in and most likely they do but we just don't know how much of an impact those players being in makes in the actual outcome of the game.

I'm saying yes... :D Once the Broncos were able to run the ball with some rhythm the rest of the offense improved.

(Obviously the impact is greater since Collins was already out. I'm certainly hoping both are healthy the next time they meet. That's very possible)

In any case it's done... They ain't changing the game now no matter what.

And now the Denver offense is no longer like a wheezing old man on life support.

So. now the Cinci/Denver game really means something.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just realized a rematch with the broncos and patriots would likely be a AFCCG. Would not mind that one bit.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a sour taste in my mouth writing this but I think Hightower being out def helped the running game. Some of those outside plays could have ended up different with heat-seeking missile Hightower. That guy flys to the edge and is a great tackler as well. Ok, that`s my only compliment to Pats for rest of year. :)

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just realized a rematch with the broncos and patriots would likely be a AFCCG. Would not mind that one bit.

I was thinking the same thing. At this point, it looks like that game would be played in Foxboro but I would still like the Broncos chances with their offense gaining momentum along the way. A good running game and a strong defense travels well and it's this team that would actually have a chance against the Pats on the road. More than likely both teams could be healthier as well. I really hope this happens but first we need to take care of the Chargers, Raiders, Bengals and Steelers. A lot of tough games coming our way.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm saying yes... :D Once the Broncos were able to run the ball with some rhythm the rest of the offense improved.

(Obviously the impact is greater since Collins was already out. I'm certainly hoping both are healthy the next time they meet. That's very possible)

In any case it's done... They ain't changing the game now no matter what.

And now the Denver offense is no longer like a wheezing old man on life support.

So. now the Cinci/Denver game really means something.

You can say yes and that is fine. Obviously at this point we just can't know. The Broncos are showing that this run game is for real. They did it against the Bears and now the Patriots. I say if it continues like it has then it would be hard to argue that the big reason the run game took off in the game was because of Hightower being out. Going to have to watch these next few games and just see.

As for the Cincy game it was going to have significance whether we won or not. At this point they have 2 losses and if we had loss we would have had 3 so we could have still won out and gotten the 2nd seed. More than anything this win helps in our own division. The Chiefs have a pretty easy closing schedule where the Broncos have some games against playoff hopefuls. A loss would mean we would have to possibly close out the season going 4-1 to for sure wrap up the division. Now 3-2 for sure wraps it up which looks much easier.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a sour taste in my mouth writing this but I think Hightower being out def helped the running game. Some of those outside plays could have ended up different with heat-seeking missile Hightower. That guy flys to the edge and is a great tackler as well. Ok, that`s my only compliment to Pats for rest of year. :)

Yeah this was evident. Without Jamie Collins and Hightower the Patriots were in a hard position vs the run. Jamie Collins might also be the best cover LB in the NFL. Top 3 for sure.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright no reason to fight after such a great win.

Honestly this is why I stay away from the game threads most weeks. The flow of the game changes so much that it would be easy to get emotionally charged one way or the other. I'll be honest and when we fell down 21-7 in the game I flipped the channel for a bit. I thought we had a great chance to make a statement and were just making the stupidest small mistakes that add up in the end to usually cost a team in games like that. I'll be honest that I screamed at the tv when Von Miller decided to land on top of Brady and get the personal foul. Those type of things drive me nuts. If I was typing in the game thread it would lead me to say things that now looking back you go "well those little mistakes didn't matter as much as I thought."

if I did I would be crazy as a loon on game threads this year has drove me nuts