• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos@Rams Post-Game Analysis: Rams Win 22-7

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The game between the Broncos and Rams was insignificant in the eyes of so many even before it was played. After all, the third best offense in the league with Peyton Manning in control reinforced with the fifth best defense was playing a perennial loser who the league and the NFL Nation believe is a complete screw-up and a joke of a franchise. There was little evidence to indicate that the St. Louis Rams had a snowball’s chance in Hades of even staying with Denver for any conceivable length of time. Blow-out was the moniker uttered by many even before the game began.

Anyone with half a brain would know that thinking the Rams could compete with such a dominant team as the Broncos after seeing the Rams change quarterbacks early in the week in a struggling offense and a defense that had a propensity to play tough but then make horrible mental errors was beyond fantasy. It was downright stupid. No one gave the Rams a chance except for maybe a few experienced and diehard fans that frequent our boards and perhaps Howie Long who believes the Rams are closer to being a young team that is to be reckoned with in the near future.

Apparently Howie knows something the masses don’t and that future arrived today. Chris Long made an appearance on defense today in the first quarter and wasn’t seen much thereafter but I firmly believe that his return turned the intensity wick up on the Rams and it definitely translated into the entire team playing its second full game from start to finish. Inspired by the defense that hit people hard an often and harassed Manning all day long frustrating him into committing mistakes, the Rams played consistent and inspired football for 60 minutes.

People were incredulous about what they perceived as another boneheaded move by a franchise notorious for such things, when early in the week, Fisher benched fan favorite Austin Davis for the journeyman Shaun Hill. Fisher stated that Davis was making way too many mistakes in turnovers that were costing the team wins and that Hill was brought back to calm the offense down into something more productive. Many thought Jeff Fisher should be fired. Many now know they might have rushed to judgment on Fisher’s decision.

On Offense. The Positives. The offense came out calm and purposeful and the O-line began blocking very well giving Hill so much time that Rams fans were shocked. They continued that for the majority of the game. Greg Robinson looked like the player we have all envisioned when the Rams drafted in the first round and perhaps he has made Jake Long’s days as a starting left tackle expendable. Hill finished the day 20 of 29 passes for 220 yards with one TD and no turnovers and he routinely made sound decisions and confident executions of Shottenheimer’s offense. Manning had his usual 34-54 passes for 389 yards type of day but got frustrated early and often by Williams’ defense and he threw two INTs.

Hill was having such a good day that he routinely led the offense down the field into scoring position in the red zone. Hill even caught one of his own passes and had a sure fumble on a sack bounce right back to him saving a TD from the Denver D. A little bit of luck helps a team that has witnessed nothing but for so long that many cannot remember when we last saw it on the field. The O-line blocked well enough for Tre Mason to have a career day going 29 carries for 113 yards against a defense that was number one against the run allowing a miniscule 67 yards per game. Kenny Britt had a huge day going 4 catches for a whopping 128 yards and a TD. Britt’s career is seeing a renaissance of sorts in St Louis. Kudos also goes to the offense for overcoming our horrific third quarters jinx. We held the Denver offense scoreless and Hill engineered a consistent drive that lead to a FG. We overcame that hurdle and after six games finally scored in the third by the OFFENSE.

On Offense. The Negatives. Not much here except the O-line gave up three sacks all day. They had no penalties. Hill was a bit rusty early on throwing several throws behind receivers one of which could have been a TD if it was thrown correctly to Kenny Britt, but Hill rapidly overcame his rust with several excellently thrown balls that kept drives alive the rest of the way. We still have an aversion to scoring in the red zone by the offense. We only scored one TD and had many opportunities to score five more times but failed. Those became Zuerlein FGs. This is definitely something we still need to fix on the offense.

On Defense. The Positives. Kudos goes to this group from the get-go. Williams masterminded another hard hitting, confusing defense and although we only had two sacks, Williams confused and harassed Manning all day frustrating him into passes that were tipped, batted down, thrown too quickly, and intercepted. Denver receivers began dropping pass after pass. Even though they only had two sacks, one by Laurinaitus and one by Donald, they held the Denver running game to a paltry 29 yards. We also held this high-powered offense scoreless in the first, third, and fourth quarters. Pretty impressive to say the least. The entire group hit people with such ferocity that the refs had to get into the act and call a personal foul on McCleod on the receiver Samuel in the third period even though the hit was legal. A couple of series later, T.J. MacDonald walloped another receiver in the same fashion but no foul was called because the refs knew the first call was bogus.

Alex Ogletree quietly had another outstanding game being high man on tackles and getting an INT. Trumaine Johnson had the second INT by Manning. Also, we are rapidly advancing to having one of the most dominating defensive backfields in the league with MacDonald, Barron, McCleod, Gaines, Roberson, Trumaine Johnson, and even Janoris Jenkins even though Janoris has a tendency to get beat, screw-up, and pull some unbelievable crap.

On Defense. The Negatives. One guys stands out. Janoris Jenkins. Right before the half, he screwed-up and thought he had Safety help from McCleod when he didn’t and the receiver was wide open for the only score Denver could muster for the day. He also tried a stunt in the second half by moving the spot on the ball to slow down Manning’s no-huddle offense and got called for delay-of-game. Jenkins doesn’t like to tackle big TEs either and he missed several tackle during the game that turned into big gains.

On Special Teams. The Positives. The Special Teams played great all day long with Zuerlein hitting five straight field goals, many over 50 yards. Greg the Leg came back in a big way and piled up the points. Hekker punted six times booming several of them over 50 yards. The next big Safety to eventually emerge on Defense was huge on STs. Maurice Alexander, the forgotten big hitter that is still learning the NFL game, had two huge hits that kept Denver pinned inside the 20 yard line most of the day.
On Special Teams. The Negatives. Nothing to report here. They played that well.

On we go 4-6. Our next test is a road game in San Diego. We shall see if we can now sustain the consistency and all-out effort for another full game on all facets that we displayed today. This game is definitely winnable and I think we may see yet another good game by these young and up and coming Rams. Stay Tuned.:yahoo:

UnrealTerm04

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Retro!

Feels good to read a postgame analysis that doesn't give me a headache. The Rams D kicked ass today. They deserve the win. Shaun Hill did his job at being a game manager QB... Like a Trent Dilfer. I'm still not sold that benching Davis was the right move, we'll see how the next few weeks play out.

Thanks for the read, Retro.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always look forward to post game analysis, Retro. Always on spot.

Is this the start of something good or just a nice complete game by the Rams, we will see in San Diego. This hell part of a schedule is close to ending, which comes at a great time with Hawks struggling and the Niners being a phony good team with their 6 and 4 mark. No chance to win the division, but maybe playoff shot. But let's get to 500 first before we can talk about that.

We are a Marcus Mariota away.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to see all the people that bitch and moan after a loss, come on and say something positive now after a win. Come on people!

That defense played awesome today and today was huge for many of our young players. Janoris still needs to be slapped, but..

Ogletree
Quinn
McDonald
McLeod
Tru Johnson
Barron
Donald

We are loaded! And all of a sudden, we go from needing desperate help at safety, to being loaded at safety!!!

The hits today were awesome. That was football! And don't think other teams won't notice. I'm telling you.. Every WR/TE/RB will be looking over their shoulder.

Last edited by a moderator:

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Benching Davis might have been a good thing for Davis. He has talent, but he also was getting happy feet. I agree he can extend plays and he makes plays, but after starting a few games against solid defenses, he can sit back and let the game slow back down for him and realize where he needs to improve.

Like I said in another thread, both QBs are not the franchise QB of the future, so all that matters is that we go into next year with an idea of what we have in both QBs, go to camp again and it's on.

But this scenario is EXACTLY what I wanted 4-5 years ago when we had the #1 pick. I wanted Suh and wanted build a sick D that punished people, get some RBs that run hard, and a game managing QB.

It's not the GSOT anymore. It's gonna be a stupid, hard hitting D that will be fun to watch for years.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to see all the people that bitch and moan after a loss, come on and say something positive now after a win. Come on people!

That defense played awesome today and today was huge for many of our young players. Janoris still needs to be slapped, but..

Ogletree
Quinn
McDonald
McLeod
Tru Johnson
Barron
Donald

We are loaded! And all of a sudden, we go from needing desperate help at safety, to being loaded at safety!!!

The hits today were awesome. That was football! And don't think other teams won't notice. I'm telling you.. Every WR/TE/RB will be looking over their shoulder.

UGH! Tell me about it! :mad2:

I really want to love Jenkins... but I was screaming for him to get the hook all day. When he's not simply flat-out getting beat, he's whiffing on crucial tackles.

I've just about lost all faith in the kid. Sorry Jenks... but, IMO... Gaines should be taking over the #2 spot, opposite Tru.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rams played almost mistake-free football today. The two big mistakes (the blown protection by Robinson that led to a Hill sack and near fumble and the blown coverage by Jenkins/McLeod that resulted in the touchdown) weren't killers due to the solid play throughout the rest of the game.

Hill played steady veteran QB today and the rest of the team's elevated play wasn't wasted as a result. Was unfortunate that Britt got banged up and played little after his 4 early catches, as he would've been a big help in the red zone. Heck, even Tavon was used properly once or twice on offense!

I wasn't even mad at the 15 yard penalty on McLeod for laying out Sanders. There was a contact penalty anyway, so it was going to be a first down via penalty either way. The big hit sent a message and slowed the offense a bit. The defense was nickled and dimed down the field, but held strong when it counted and held the 31 pt averaging Broncos to just that 1 touchdown on the blown coverage.

If not for Jenkins' mistakes, this game would be an A+. Gaines will likely overtake him with the way things are going, but they need Joyner back to play the slot DB first.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for all of your kind words everyone. I agree Caynine and Shopson. Jenkins is rapidly becoming a liability and if he is not careful, he is going to go the way of Pettis who was unexpectedly let go for just not giving a rip anymore.

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well done as usual retro, I saw some 70s defense today and I feel a bit younger. Stay together guys and go beat the bolts.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very fine job Retro!

Just a complete game for the most part. Sure, there are areas we can improve like red zone efficiency and hopefully as Shawn Hill gets more time with the No. 1's we get that corrected. Also a couple of those FG were WAY outside of the red zone! So doing a better job on 3rd downs too will help.

Well let me know if you are going to be at the Chargers game.

We should have a big crew going!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Blue. I'll let you know Vita. It all depends what happens tomorrow and Tuesday.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Blue. I'll let you know Vita. It all depends what happens tomorrow and Tuesday.
10-4 Retro, we would love to see you there, Jacob too.

I still need to check on what the stadium allows but we surely would like to to some legitimate tailgating!

:suds:

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always look forward to post game analysis, Retro. Always on spot.

Is this the start of something good or just a nice complete game by the Rams, we will see in San Diego. This hell part of a schedule is close to ending, which comes at a great time with Hawks struggling and the Niners being a phony good team with their 6 and 4 mark. No chance to win the division, but maybe playoff shot. But let's get to 500 first before we can talk about that.

We are a Marcus Mariota away.

No way he's available where the Rams will be sitting now and not worth trading the farm to go get him.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]

No way he's available where the Rams will be sitting now and not worth trading the farm to go get him.

Especially when there is a Bryce Petty who will be available when we pick or maybe even in the second round.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Especially when there is a Bryce Petty who will be available when we pick or maybe even in the second round.
Sean Mannion too, however his stock will rise after the combine.

Probably a 3rd rounder now but should rise to the second before it's all said and done.

Sean is the PAC All Time QB leader in passing yards!

Says something when have guys like Elway, Aikman, Leinart, Leaf, Pete, Palmer, Luck, Hundley, Marriota and many others in the Mix.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think good qbs can be found in the later rounds! Or maybe in free agency. Lets add 1 more peice to our defense to make it respectable! I'm thinking best available LBer in the 1st round. No more first round qbs!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Vita and Zeke. Mannion is another talent that'll be available later, Vita. Yep Zeke, LB in the first followed by a QB, and O-line and we will be pretty damn good. If we are trading Stacy which has been rumored, there are some great RBs we could select later like Gordon who is a beast.

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our first selection should be a QB... The every other pick should be spent on the offensive line. Lol.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our first value selection should be a QB... The every other pick should be spent on the offensive line. Lol.
FIFY, now absolutely :agree:

I don't care what early round we get our QB as long as it's who we want and not a reach!

Getting starting and depth at OL is a must!

Maybe we pick a stud WR if one is available. As we know too well, ACL's can be hard to come back from.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was at the game yesterday and was very impressed. I didn't think this was going to be the result at all. The Rams definitely showed up to play yesterday. Only minor things I didn't like were that there was a couple Red Zone drives that ended up in field goals that I would have liked to have seen end in touchdowns instead. But I thought that other than that, Hill did a really good job. Also proud of the offensive line letting our running game get going and giving Mason over 100 yards on the ground. Also, other than the one blown coverage that led to the touchdown by Denver, the defense played a solid game. Manning was going to get his yards no matter what but they got key INT's and stops when they were needed the most. Hope that they can continue this momentum going to San Diego next week.

As a side note, I thought that the hit on Sanders was a legal hit and should not have been a penalty. McCloud did what he should have done and prevented him from catching the ball.