• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos Pick 162 Montrell Washington WR Sanford

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys like Washington are the future Matthew Slaters who will Captain Special Teams for the Broncos for the next 15 years.

Players like him are as valuable as the first rounders who will never be on the field for a punt or kick off.

In my opinion, Washington is an A pick. Great job. I'd be willing to bet that Belichick had him on his list for the 6th or 7th round.

Nothing better than drafting a "Football Player".

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just to add another poster who does a lot of draft talk for broncos
Nick from MHH though it was not a good pick in the 5th round. too early

maybe Paton had intel he would be going in the 5th

M Jones went a little earlier so did the player the Bears took from Tennessee

if Washington has skills but can’t handle the pressure of the NFL could be another Imac who really needed time to develop his game for the NFL.

it’s a boom or bust pick since denver needs a PR yesterday

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easily a boom or bust pick. No issue taking this guy in Round 5. I love Nick and all, that's my dude. But truth is he has never seen him play...

What's the worst case? He sucks and we spent a 5th round pick on him? 5th rounders get cut all the time. This is a very low risk.. Sure, we could have hit on the next Tom Brady but very unlikely.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys like Washington are the future Matthew Slaters who will Captain Special Teams for the Broncos for the next 15 years.

Players like him are as valuable as the first rounders who will never be on the field for a punt or kick off.

In my opinion, Washington is an A pick. Great job. I'd be willing to bet that Belichick had him on his list for the 6th or 7th round.

YES!

and if he isn't we spent a 5th rounder on him. I am all about not throwing picks away but this guy was a very legit PR in college. People are acting like we just took a chance on a 355 lb snail at punt returner. I dont' care where Joe Blow had him going in his mock. Love is love.. If you love him you take him. People are assuming NOBODY wanted this guy and he was a sure bet undrafted FA signing. That simply is VERY unlikely.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easily a boom or bust pick. No issue taking this guy in Round 5. I love Nick and all, that's my dude. But truth is he has never seen him play...

What's the worst case? He sucks and we spent a 5th round pick on him? 5th rounders get cut all the time. This is a very low risk.. Sure, we could have hit on the next Tom Brady but very unlikely.
One positive did occur to me. We use Hamler this next season the way I thought we would before the injury. Sub him in place of the #3WR/TE/RB on designed plays to get him in space. Deliberately show him off to the league. Use Washington on Special Teams and have him learn the Hamler plays. Next year trade Hamler for draft picks because we'd get some good ones out of him in the current WR market. Washington takes Hamler's spot and the bill never comes due for a pricey gadget player.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One positive did occur to me. We use Hamler this next season the way I thought we would before the injury. Sub him in place of the #3WR/TE/RB on designed plays to get him in space. Deliberately show him off to the league. Use Washington on Special Teams and have him learn the Hamler plays. Next year trade Hamler for draft picks because we'd get some good ones out of him in the current WR market. Washington takes Hamler's spot and the bill never comes due for a pricey gadget player.

LOL- That is a happy thought. Although IMO, Washington was drafted for one reason and one reason only. That might be where the disappointment is coming from.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL- That is a happy thought. Although IMO, Washington was drafted for one reason and one reason only. That might be where the disappointment is coming from.
I just think it was the wrong move. I understand the reasoning, but I disagree with it. Hamler though - it has been my opinion since he was drafted that he wouldn't get a 2nd contract with the Broncos. And now the WR market has exploded so I don't think there's any way we can pay him what he'd get on the open market. Thanks to Paton we are set up really well to deal with that though. Going forward, I think we need to have WR's fill specific roles. Outside (Sutton/Patrick) guys and inside (Jeudy/Hamler) guys. Build the corps with one 'star' of each type, one 'quality starter' of each type, and one 'potential' guy of each type. Pay what you have to pay to keep the 'star' guys. Keep drafting that third rung (#5/#6WR) and sign FA's to fill out the second rung. Patrick actually fills that 2nd outside rung but I love that guy and I consider him to be worth every penny he earns. Anyway, you end up with:

Outside: (1) Sutton, (2) Patrick, (3) ?
Inside: (1) Jeudy, (2) Hamler, (3) Washington.

This doesn't determine where they must line up on any given play. It's more of shorthand way to describe strengths/weaknesses. Looking at it this way you don't give guys a 2nd contract unless you think they can play as a (1). I'd say that Hamler will not be as good as Jeudy. There's a much better chance that Washington will be as good as Hamler. So if that's true then that's the way you go. Trade Hamler before the draft going into the last year of his rookie contract, once he's shown something to the league, but while he's still cheap. Draft a guy like Washington who you think can fill the same role beginning the 2nd year of his rookie contract. Keep cycling the roster until/unless you find guys who are actually worth that second contract. Also, this is going with a 6WR depth chart and that's not necessarily what is going to happen every season. So who do we have on the roster that can be the Outside(3)?

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lets not go overboard with a player who plays 10 snaps a game vs a first rounder like PSII

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Value is in the eye of the beholder. I think Washington has some amazing moves - especially the side step -and burst of speed. I'll just leave that argument aside and bring back my mortar and brick example for this draft.

If Washington takes both the PR and the KR jobs the following things benefit the Broncos:

1) The Broncos save a roster spot, or they take a major load off guys they need on offense and defense in the non special team parts of the game.
2) The way to build good team blocking in the return game - is to have one return guy whose cuts and speed are predictable for his blockers.
3) A predictable return man skill set allows the ST coach to call a larger variety of plays - which can be easily practiced if one guy has that job.
4) One guy taking all the catches at Empower Field - also gives that returner an edge in experience with stadium winds on kicks - field conditions and the benefits experience will give you.

In Washington's case - for those who wonder if his nerves will stand up with the big time pressure - just look - half of his highlights are against the Florida Gators in the Gator's stadium. Evidence that Washington brings his A game when the competition is the toughest.

You want good special teams - you have to pay the price for them.

Also - please note that the Broncos signed some CDFAs they can stash on the PS - who can step up and take the return guys job if he gets injured - preserving continuity and a roster spot.

Speardog_Atlas

Orange Crush
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that his game against Florida really showed what he could do in the NFL and the Broncos fell in love with him on that tape.

How a huge game vs. Florida set the stage for the Broncos to draft Samford's Montrell Washington

Midway through the second quarter of Samford's upset bid against the Florida Gators, do-it-all receiver Montrell Washington fielded a kickoff at the 2-yard line and proceeded to run into a mass of humanity, blue jerseys swarming toward him.
They were some of the best players in the country, highly recruited athletes drawn to one of the SEC's premier programs. The 5-foot-10 Washington, meanwhile, had received offers from Samford, Kennesaw State, Valdosta State and Wingate before choosing the Bulldogs.

When the Broncos selected Washington in the fifth round with the 162nd overall pick, it was probably that moment that stuck in their collective mind. He tallied 322 all-purpose yards (179 returning, 124 receiving, 19 rushing) and three touchdowns, and even though Samford couldn't pull off the win, Washington must have opened some scouts' eyes.

Mountain Bronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line is that if Washington is picked up as and free agent people rave about the signing, but instead a 5th round pick is used and there is critique because draftnicks say he was over-drafted. I don't know how you over-draft someone in the 5th round. From the 5th round on all players are going to be fringe roster players so I don't see the big deal. If he becomes the unquestioned return man then we got a steal either way as that adds a ton of value to a team. If not he becomes what a lot of 5th round picks are anyway.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that his game against Florida really showed what he could do in the NFL and the Broncos fell in love with him on that tape.

How a huge game vs. Florida set the stage for the Broncos to draft Samford's Montrell Washington

Midway through the second quarter of Samford's upset bid against the Florida Gators, do-it-all receiver Montrell Washington fielded a kickoff at the 2-yard line and proceeded to run into a mass of humanity, blue jerseys swarming toward him.
They were some of the best players in the country, highly recruited athletes drawn to one of the SEC's premier programs. The 5-foot-10 Washington, meanwhile, had received offers from Samford, Kennesaw State, Valdosta State and Wingate before choosing the Bulldogs.

When the Broncos selected Washington in the fifth round with the 162nd overall pick, it was probably that moment that stuck in their collective mind. He tallied 322 all-purpose yards (179 returning, 124 receiving, 19 rushing) and three touchdowns, and even though Samford couldn't pull off the win, Washington must have opened some scouts' eyes.

Funny thing being a Florida fan... Who would have thought a guy whose playmaking ability I hated seeing on this day I would love seeing in a highlight film because my NFL team drafted him 5 months later.

Speardog_Atlas

Orange Crush
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny thing being a Florida fan... Who would have thought a guy whose playmaking ability I hated seeing on this day I would love seeing in a highlight film because my NFL team drafted him 5 months later.
ahh Florida won the game anyway!! :)

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ahh Florida won the game anyway!! :)

After giving up 52 points to Samford.

70-52 and it was tied most of the game.. I guess it was sorta the final straw for Dan Mullen. (Although the final straw may have been 5 weeks earlier)

I guess in the life of Draft Crazy

Florida wins
Dan Mullen gone
Billy Napier hello
Montrell Washington hell0