• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos acquire Mark Sanchez from Philly

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to make this sound like an insult, but you sound like someone who is backing a player his team just signed that may be their QB. I Guarantee you if Hoyer is traded it will be for more than a conditional 2017 7th round pick. A lot more. That is literally about the least you can get for a player. Yes, Hoyer is way better. That doesn't mean Hoyer is good because Sanchez sucks. Hoyer is average. Never said he wasn't just that he is way better than the Sanchez
What the stats seem to bear out on Hoyer is actually a pretty good QB so long as there is minimal pressure and at least one open target; Hopkins fits that bill. Texans (and the Browns the last two years for that matter) have had some pretty strong pass blocking O-lines relative to league average. When he is pressured however to any consistent degree, he folds in just about every imaginable way. Teams with strong pass rushes like the Pats and Chiefs ate Hoyer alive last year for instance. Sanchez, for the Broncos, is probably the better QB given how poor their O-line currently looks.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't figure out if you're being sarcastic or not. IMO, I think Sanchez is just as good as Osweiler and he comes at a cheaper price. Maybe the Broncos can pick up another QB in the draft.

That's what I'm thinking.... Sanchez for some security, then draft a potential future QB... Broncos don't have a lot of option here... Kaep could a been a decent fit, but it sounds like he's heading to the Browns...

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I'm thinking.... Sanchez for some security, then draft a potential future QB... Broncos don't have a lot of option here... Kaep could a been a decent fit, but it sounds like he's heading to the Browns...
Yeah, I think the Niners wanted a 2nd round draft pick for Kaep, as he was/is still property of the Niners. IMO, the Broncos can get a decent QB in the draft.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't laugh.

If Denver is bringin back the same defense that shut down the Panthers in the SB, then they don't exactly need a top-flight guy at QB. Hell, can any of us say we saw a top-flight Broncos QB playing last season?

Anybody?

Sanchez will do fine if he's called on to start. Plus, who else is out here?
I agree, but ask the Seahawks (as good as their defense is) if they would have a good chance to win the NFC West, without Russell Wilson.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't know that. There was never a promise that the Broncos would ever get to the AFC Championship game again, with Peyton or Brock as their QB.

Yes. I do know that. Don't be a simple simon. I'm sure he's gonna be their back-up, Elway ain't no fool.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
CRAP!!! Now they don't need DumbDumb because they have a better QB now.

mick7-1961

Commerce Comet
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No more OMAHA !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now it's

BUTTFUMBLE !!!!!!!!!!!!

HURRY !!!

HURRY !!!!!!!!!!!!!

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't figure out if you're being sarcastic or not. IMO, I think Sanchez is just as good as Osweiler and he comes at a cheaper price. Maybe the Broncos can pick up another QB in the draft.

Oh no I think Sanchez is a terrible pick. Osweiller has the potential to get better and showed glimpses of that this year. Sanchez is known mediocrity. He is better than Hoyer though.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow... Makes sense. I always thought of Sanchez lately as the backup QB you get when you aren't sold or sure on your starter. That guy who's got some talent, can be a spot starter, or hold down the fort for a bit while your rookie gets ready. Which I think is what Denver needs now. Right now they are looking at maybe Kaep, maybe RGIII, maybe a 2nd tier QB in the draft. All guys where you don't want Trevor Simian (however you spell it) as your backup. He's the guy you want backing up Bradford or Fitzpatrick or a 1st round rookie, not Rodgers or Brady.

Ksfnslayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sanchez is alright and capable and that's basically all the Broncs had last year to win the SB with. The stats on the QB were mediocre at best and they took it all the way. If they pick up a rookie QB this guy is veteran who will be competitive and give the Broncs an option. Plus the keeping everything under the cap with many players leaving is going to be tricky so this will work to keep the money on the defense that was the teams strength.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow... Makes sense. I always thought of Sanchez lately as the backup QB you get when you aren't sold or sure on your starter. That guy who's got some talent, can be a spot starter, or hold down the fort for a bit while your rookie gets ready. Which I think is what Denver needs now. Right now they are looking at maybe Kaep, maybe RGIII, maybe a 2nd tier QB in the draft. All guys where you don't want Trevor Simian (however you spell it) as your backup. He's the guy you want backing up Bradford or Fitzpatrick or a 1st round rookie, not Rodgers or Brady.

Haven't read the whole thread as the few I did were people going crazy thinking the Broncos are done at the QB position. This right here is what I view this signing as. They traded a 7th round pick which would have been a guy that most likely made their practice squad. They have now 9 picks in the draft so they had to get rid of some picks anyway so might as well trade for a guy that is a quality back up. He adds some decent competition and a guy that has shown he can win in this league when he has a strong running game (something the Broncos are trying to build up this year) and a very strong defense (something the Broncos already have). So if we need him to win a couple of games I think he can handle it.

Also just for the fun of it...

Mark Sanchez over the past 2 years: 13 games, 18 TD's, 86.6 QB rating and costing the Broncos $4.5 million

Brock Osweiler in that same time span: 12 games, 11 TD's, 86.6 QB Rating and costing the Texans $18 million

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't read the whole thread as the few I did were people going crazy thinking the Broncos are done at the QB position. This right here is what I view this signing as. They traded a 7th round pick which would have been a guy that most likely made their practice squad. They have now 9 picks in the draft so they had to get rid of some picks anyway so might as well trade for a guy that is a quality back up. He adds some decent competition and a guy that has shown he can win in this league when he has a strong running game (something the Broncos are trying to build up this year) and a very strong defense (something the Broncos already have). So if we need him to win a couple of games I think he can handle it.

Mark Sanchez over the past 2 years: 13 games, 18 TD's, 86.6 QB rating and costing the Broncos $4.5 million

Brock Osweiler in that same time span: 12 games, 11 TD's, 86.6 QB Rating and costing the Texans $18 million
Well there you go. Good comment!!!

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sanchez costing Broncos 50% of their cap space, Osweiler costing the Texans 40% of theirs. It's about what you have to spend too.

I think the choice is fine for them there... Denver couldn't pay Brock market price. That's pretty clear. Wasn't about not wanting to, but able to. But I think Sanchez played his best football he could the past couple years, while Osweiller didn't. If I had the room for either or, Osweiler is by far the better bet IMO, and have no issue overpaying for the better bet at that one position..

I really don't like the "all we had to do was X last year" thoughts. That's what the Ravens thought after 2000, and 2 years later had a bottom 10 D. That's the reason Rex kept Sanchez around so long. I think Denver was REALLY close to being a wildcard team, and need to improve the QB position over last year a fair bit to not be that this season with those losses they are facing.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sanchez costing Broncos 50% of their cap space, Osweiler costing the Texans 40% of theirs. It's about what you have to spend too.

I think the choice is fine for them there... Denver couldn't pay Brock market price. That's pretty clear. Wasn't about not wanting to, but able to. But I think Sanchez played his best football he could the past couple years, while Osweiller didn't. If I had the room for either or, Osweiler is by far the better bet IMO, and have no issue overpaying for the better bet at that one position..

I really don't like the "all we had to do was X last year" thoughts. That's what the Ravens thought after 2000, and 2 years later had a bottom 10 D. That's the reason Rex kept Sanchez around so long. I think Denver was REALLY close to being a wildcard team, and need to improve the QB position over last year a fair bit to not be that this season with those losses they are facing.

Improvement at the QB position though isn't like this impossible task for the Broncos. Broncos probably won the Super Bowl with statistically the worst QB play of any Super Bowl in history. We were 31st in QB Rating combined of all players that played (Osweiler/Manning combined). So when I say things like even average QB play can win with this defense what I am saying is improvement at the QB position can win with this defense.

Yes I know all too well how quickly an offense or defense can go from great to bad. I mean look at the Broncos offense in 2013 being the best offense in NFL history to this past year bottom-10. Osweiler was a part of that offense being bottom-10. While I do think he showed some promise I also understand he still had some major struggles and some major red flags in his game that made it impossible to even come close to paying him what the Texans offered. Again I just think the Broncos can find an average QB that can win with the core of the team still intact for the Broncos.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also not sure where you are getting that Sanchez is costing the Broncos 50% of our cap space? We just re-did Ware's deal opening up some more cap space today. My guess is you are looking at old numbers.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, fair enough. All Sanchez has to do to be adequate as a Bronco QB. I never said he was a top ten NFL QB and maybe Elway has something else up his sleeve.
Sanchez barely cracks the top 30.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sanchez is now considered a capable QB? He's below the Drew Stanton level honestly.