• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos 2017 NFL Draft

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get OL in RD1 but, wouldn't you pass over it in a weak class like this one? If this was the best OL draft in 5 yrs. Yes OL OL OL in RD1 . I'm not saying if we did this year we couldn't hit jackpot at 20 . It might be our history at drafting them is where my concern comes from.

Who do you compare OJ Howard too with any former or present NFL player?

Well even in a weak class there are still quality Tackles available. The depth is mostly the issue.

This year I would say there are 3 starter quality Tackles available in the 1st round.

Cam Robinson of Alabama. Scouts are saying that he has some of the best technique they have seen in the last 5 years of an OT. He has a mean streak. The reason he isn’t a for sure top-10 pick is because of some off the field issues.

Garrett Bolles of Utah. Personally one of my favorite players in the entire draft. His stock is down a bit because he is 25 years old. IF he was 22 he would be for sure a top-15 pick right now.

Ryan Ramczyik of Wisconsin. Again another guy known for his technique. Falling down some boards because he is having hip surgery this off season. Still should be a possible quality player in the NFL.

I could be happy with any of those players coming to the Broncos and feel like it wasn’t a reach for us to take them at 20. Cam Robinson I might even be willing to see us trade up for.

And Howard I would compare him to Greg Olsen. Very smooth runner, good hands, better speed than you think, good size. I would say he has the potential to be better because he is a better run blocker than Olsen though.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really hard to find a lot of film on Howard as an actual receiver. Most of his yards come off shovel passes. Some of his routes had him wide open and some of his routes he was just used as a decoy. There were also a couple of routes where you wonder what Bama was doing.

I don't expect he'll be a weapon in the passing game right away but he'll be a weapon in the running game on Day 1. I do expect him to have one of the best combines. There is real explosion there. He also spent time blocking some of the best passing rushing defensive ends in the country and is a pretty scary threat once he gets into the 2nd level at blocking. Bama's offense is basically 'follow OJ Howard' because he is always setting the edge for something and often gets a big run out of it.

Fairly unique player in the modern game. People who play Fantasy Football will likely think of him as a bust but he is probably one of the safest players in the draft in the context of being good at one thing: run blocking. I think he could go top 20 in the same way someone can justify a RB or G in top 20. I seriously doubt he'll go top 10, though.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really hard to find a lot of film on Howard as an actual receiver. Most of his yards come off shovel passes. Some of his routes had him wide open and some of his routes he was just used as a decoy. There were also a couple of routes where you wonder what Bama was doing.

I don't expect he'll be a weapon in the passing game right away but he'll be a weapon in the running game on Day 1. I do expect him to have one of the best combines. There is real explosion there. He also spent time blocking some of the best passing rushing defensive ends in the country and is a pretty scary threat once he gets into the 2nd level at blocking. Bama's offense is basically 'follow OJ Howard' because he is always setting the edge for something and often gets a big run out of it.

Fairly unique player in the modern game. People who play Fantasy Football will likely think of him as a bust but he is probably one of the safest players in the draft in the context of being good at one thing: run blocking. I think he could go top 20 in the same way someone can justify a RB or G in top 20. I seriously doubt he'll go top 10, though.

Yeah I don’t have him top-10 but at pick 20 I can definitely justify such a pick. His run blocking is some of the best I have ever seen from a college TE. Then you throw in the guy has some true athletic ability to be a huge threat in the pass game. Alabama used him more in that role last year but this year with his blocking being what it is and having a freshman QB he just hasn’t been used as the receiving threat that I hoped they would. Doesn’t mean he can’t do it just they didn’t use him that way.

Now as a receiver he has shown that he has good hands. Very natural catcher of the football. I’ve watched him make some catches in traffic where he just outmuscles everybody. He won’t be like Gronk where he just dominates even in triple coverage but like I said with Olsen where he uses his speed to get some separation and make teams have to respect what he can do over the middle of the field.

The other area that impresses me is when he does catch a short pass he has the speed and open field ability to turn it into a big play. He isn’t just a catch and that is where the play ends type TE.

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

even though you are a chiefs fan, i allow you to stay in our draft thread. you have cy's seal of approval. He literally is like having another olineman out there every play. I watched Butt, Njoku, and Howard back to back. Butt is a good blocker, but mainly used in combo. Njoku blocking? lol he has some potential there but that will never be his game. Howard? Howard was left one on one in blocks or used in combo but immediately peels off to go find S/LB/CB and pin them to open up a wide run lane. Only one ball to go around in bama and with lead so much, they use howard to block instead of pass game. But when given the opportunity, he has some special tools.

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howard is on the 'list' for me with 4 others.
McDowell, Howard, Foster, Bolles, Robinson

Any of those 5 guys and round 1 gets an A from me.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howard is on the 'list' for me with 4 others.
McDowell, Howard, Foster, Bolles, Robinson

Any of those 5 guys and round 1 gets an A from me.

I'm willing to add Ramzcyk barring how the hip surgery goes. The last couple of games I watched (ones later in the season) I saw huge improvements in his game especially his aggressiveness in run blocking.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sad day for me my fantasy stud declared. Texas Tech QB Patrick Mahomes who could have been a nice keeper for me in my college league. :)

Got a 2nd-3rd RD grade which surprised me a tad. I wish him the best. Love the guy.

Perine and TJ Watt also in. among others.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm willing to add Ramzcyk barring how the hip surgery goes. The last couple of games I watched (ones later in the season) I saw huge improvements in his game especially his aggressiveness in run blocking.

He got a 1st round grade. Depends on like you said his surgery... He could stay in school.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldnt be surprised if 2-4 guys undeclare as they can now at a certain deadline.

Last year Michael Rector did.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He got a 1st round grade. Depends on like you said his surgery... He could stay in school.

I hope he does come out. Adds to this weak group at the OT position. And like I said a guy I wouldnt' mind for the Broncos. Isn't my favorite guy by any means but still a good OT that has plenty of room to grow in the position. Already has pretty darn good technique for a college player so just a matter of building up some strength and getting him some more experience.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
even though you are a chiefs fan, i allow you to stay in our draft thread. you have cy's seal of approval. He literally is like having another olineman out there every play. I watched Butt, Njoku, and Howard back to back. Butt is a good blocker, but mainly used in combo. Njoku blocking? lol he has some potential there but that will never be his game. Howard? Howard was left one on one in blocks or used in combo but immediately peels off to go find S/LB/CB and pin them to open up a wide run lane. Only one ball to go around in bama and with lead so much, they use howard to block instead of pass game. But when given the opportunity, he has some special tools.
If it makes you feel any better, the Chiefs have maybe a .001% chance of drafting Howard. He doesn't fit their draft philosophy at all to the point where I could see the Chiefs having a 3rd round grade on him.

Denver seems likely to draft Howard if his combine checks out. I could see Josh McDaniels drafting him, too, if he ends up switching to a team with a 1st round draft pick.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Few Washington players we have talked about a lot around here are in officially.

John Ross
Elijah Qualls
Sidney Jones
Buddah Baker

I know these 4 doc and I have talked about quite a bit, big fan of all 4.. Although I will be in the minority I am a huge advocate for a guy like John Ross in round 1 (I know Paul has to feel me on this one)

Jones has great cover skills and figured to be in a cluster or rd 1-2 CB's.

Baker was a semi finalist for the Thorpe and is probably a round 2 pick who has a chance to move up.

Qualls is probably looking at round 2.

I like he and Harold Landry nearly the same.

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm officially laying claim as OJ Howard as my official number 1 man crush in this draft. Period.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida CB Quincy Wilson declared to no surprise.... I thought he had as good of a year as in CB in college football this year... Guys is about 5 star in every phase you look for in a CB.

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i mean seriously... such a great TE and not even put on display. What do we need to help get this offense going again?

Better run blocking? OJ Howard is the best run blocking TE in this class. Alabama's plan is literally run to where oj is. he is so tenacious and has amazing technique. Howard checks that box

Red zone production? a 6'6 TE with awesome soft hands? yeah that will help

3rd down conversions/mid field passing weapon? again, none better than Howard.

Add on top of it, he is a huge leader on that team and super smart and has done so much to improve his game over the last two years. If I'm gushing I'm not embarrassed lol

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida CB/S Duke Dawson announced he is staying for his SR year (Good decision)

OT David Sharpe of Florida is declaring. He really came on this year. With the weak OL draft probably a good decision by him.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i mean seriously... such a great TE and not even put on display. What do we need to help get this offense going again?

Better run blocking? OJ Howard is the best run blocking TE in this class. Alabama's plan is literally run to where oj is. he is so tenacious and has amazing technique. Howard checks that box

Red zone production? a 6'6 TE with awesome soft hands? yeah that will help

3rd down conversions/mid field passing weapon? again, none better than Howard.

Add on top of it, he is a huge leader on that team and super smart and has done so much to improve his game over the last two years. If I'm gushing I'm not embarrassed lol

I have a little crush on him now.