• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2017 Draft

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting take...I would have gone differently on several picks, but aside from not taking a TE and they covered their holes.
It's probably a harsh take and overnight I'm mellowing a little. Still not ready to give them a C yet. Maybe a D+.

They addressed their needs positionally but did they get the right players? Did they get good value? Those are my questions.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's probably a harsh take and overnight I'm mellowing a little. Still not ready to give them a C yet. Maybe a D+.

They addressed their needs positionally but did they get the right players? Did they get good value? Those are my questions.
3sj0qk.jpg

e65.gif

:heh::heh::heh:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I feel you brother.

I think those were going to be questions regardless of who they picked. Particularly did they get the right players? I'm with you...I would've felt a lot better about this draft if different names had been chosen in many of those spots.

I went back thru the draft (picks 62,94,105,135) with a hindsight view and better understanding of how the FO viewed the WR position and I had so many different combinations that I liked better this post would be far too long if I posted them.

Hearing Colbert's post draft comments...one thing still concerns me. He acknowledged they felt TE needed to be addressed in this draft, but they were waiting for the 5th rd to do it? Why?

At that point in the draft, I don't see a whole of difference in a late 4th rd player vs top of 5th round in terms of value if you need the position.

Jake Butt, George Kittle, Jordan Legggett, and Jeremy Sprinkle were all on the board at 135 and all went near the top of the 5th rd.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel you brother.

I think those were going to be questions regardless of who they picked. Particularly did they get the right players? I'm with you...I would've felt a lot better about this draft if different names had been chosen in many of those spots.

I went back thru the draft (picks 62,94,105,135) with a hindsight view and better understanding of how the FO viewed the WR position and I had so many different combinations that I liked better this post would be far too long if I posted them.

Hearing Colbert's post draft comments...one thing still concerns me. He acknowledged they felt TE needed to be addressed in this draft, but they were waiting for the 5th rd to do it? Why?

At that point in the draft, I don't see a whole of difference in a late 4th rd player vs top of 5th round in terms of value if you need the position.

Jake Butt, George Kittle, Jordan Legggett, and Jeremy Sprinkle were all on the board at 135 and all went near the top of the 5th rd.
TE... Great point. And in the 5th Rd you would also have to ask yourself if it was even worth it at that point given they wouldn't likely win a roster spot over Green, James, DJ or Grimble. All the guys that had a shot were already gone.

But have no fear... Scott Orndoff is here

:heh:

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel you brother.

Couldn't agree more.

What sticks in my craw is the entire off-season and the thing as a whole colors the draft for me and probably makes it hard for me to be fair about it. You basically all but admit to the world that you ran a soft zone against Tom Brady in the AFC Championship Game because you didn't trust anyone in man coverage. You can't generate a pass rush and get embarrassed and your off-season solution is to do nothing about it. You make no trades. You sign no significant players. You draft WR, RB, and QB in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round.

So where are we? An also ran unless someone else can beat the Patriots.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Limas can lay the wood!
Way unfair to compare him to Limas.

Limas had bad hands, JuJu has great hands.

Limas was mentally fragile, JuJu is a competitor, and like all our other draft picks this year (the overarching theme) a smart and mature person.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't agree more.

What sticks in my craw is the entire off-season and the thing as a whole colors the draft for me and probably makes it hard for me to be fair about it. You basically all but admit to the world that you ran a soft zone against Tom Brady in the AFC Championship Game because you didn't trust anyone in man coverage. You can't generate a pass rush and get embarrassed and your off-season solution is to do nothing about it. You make no trades. You sign no significant players. You draft WR, RB, and QB in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round.

Sad part is, pretty sure Tomlin already gave his vote of confidence in the zone coverage. He doesn't seem to think that is the problem lol. But he did mention a few things about man coverage & rooting out the problem. He even said he'll take a look at everything, top to bottom, including his coaching staff.

So maybe we'll see change. maybe

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't about being fair.

This is about me entertaining myself.
You'll be plenty entertained when JuJu takes the field. Everything about him screams Hines reincarnated. Just with an extra tendon.

Good size and hands, hand catcher, not body or an alligator arm not afraid to go over the middle or take hits, loves dishing out punishment, YAC.

This guy becomes our #1 Receiver by his 3rd year, IMO. Steal of the draft, and if Tomlin gets him on the field enough, might be a ROY candidate.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'll be plenty entertained when JuJu takes the field. Everything about him screams Hines reincarnated. Just with an extra tendon.

Good size and hands, hand catcher, not body or an alligator arm not afraid to go over the middle or take hits, loves dishing out punishment, YAC.

This guy becomes our #1 Receiver by his 3rd year, IMO. Steal of the draft, and if Tomlin gets him on the field enough, might be a ROY candidate.
I'll admit that I know very little about him. WR wasn't even on my draft radar so I didn't do any homework on the prospects. If he can take the slot job from Rogers out the gate, then I'll believe he's the real deal & worthy of the 2nd Rd grab.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

With his college tape showing he pretty much only runs routes on the right side of the field and struggles to get separation against virtually any coverage, I doubt very much he will flirt with ROY honors regardless of how much he sees the field. It's possible that in 3 years he develops into a good NFL wide receiver though. He's got the tools. He just doesn't have the resume to expect a quick adjustment to the pro-game. If that's what the Steelers wanted they would have been better served looking at Chris Godwin or Carlos Henderson.

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With his college tape showing he pretty much only runs routes on the right side of the field and struggles to get separation against virtually any coverage, I doubt very much he will flirt with ROY honors regardless of how much he sees the field. It's possible that in 3 years he develops into a good NFL wide receiver though. He's got the tools. He just doesn't have the resume to expect a quick adjustment to the pro-game. If that's what the Steelers wanted they would have been better served looking at Chris Godwin or Carlos Henderson.
Also... his separation issues remind me of Tyler Boyd last year. And I "think" just like the Bengals realized this year (drafting Ross) the Steelers will eventually realize that JuJu is a role player rather than a top-two option in the passing game and will draft accordingly in the next two seasons (if the answer isn't already on the roster).

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't agree more.

Well stated...hard to disagree with any of that as well.

My biggest concern coming into the offseason was getting better on 3rd down...be it edge rush, better coverage or hopefully a combination of both.

FA...I was not expecting them to sign Nick Perry or anybody even close to that level of talent. They got slot insurance/potential stopgap starter, depth for Heyward and Tuitt, depth for Bell.

Draft...at this point I'm not ready to say they failed to improve the team, time will tell.

But, it looked like the same FA/draft strategy we've seen for the last decade. Meanwhile NE could be resting on their SB win...instead, they go get one of the best CBs, get RB depth, and trade for a top tier WR....this all BEFORE the draft.

Which team showed more urgency?

Bridgeburner

BASSHOLE
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well stated...hard to disagree with any of that as well.

My biggest concern coming into the offseason was getting better on 3rd down...be it edge rush, better coverage or hopefully a combination of both.

FA...I was not expecting them to sign Nick Perry or anybody even close to that level of talent. They got slot insurance/potential stopgap starter, depth for Heyward and Tuitt, depth for Bell.

Draft...at this point I'm not ready to say they failed to improve the team, time will tell.

But, it looked like the same FA/draft strategy we've seen for the last decade. Meanwhile NE could be resting on their SB win...instead, they go get one of the best CBs, get RB depth, and trade for a top tier WR....this all BEFORE the draft.

Which team showed more urgency?

Yep. Exactly. Anything can happen on any given Sunday but I think anyone who is honest about the situation would be forced to admit that we lost ground to NE rather than gain any. We got smoked last year and now we're even farther away.