• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brian Kelly being Brian Kelly

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well if you're happy with mediocrity because you don't think consistent greatness is unattainable, then the school needs to stop charging an arm and a leg for games. They should give up their NBC deal (if I was a Comcast investor, I'd demand more of a return on that investment), and they should stop pretending they are what they once was.

I dunno. With that kind of attitude might as well go the way of the Ivies. Can only trade on past glory for so long.

I wouldn't call what Kelly has done as mediocre though. He's played for a title, played in another NYE 6 bowl, has ND in the top 15 in winning % his first 6 years. I grew up with ND football under the Davie, Willingham and Weis tenures, that was bad. I'm only 30 so I have no recollection of what ND was when Holtz had it rolling.

I'm just saying ND hasn't had back to back 10 wins seasons in 25 years, all of the sudden suggesting that we are that type of program isn't the truth. We can have a great season(2012), but a lot of things have to go our way, as those types of years do with most programs. I'm just being realistic, until proven otherwise, I won't really change my expectation.

I thought this year would be better, and frankly given the shitty schedule we've had thus far, we should be better, this year is unacceptable.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You had players caught smokin weed and with a gun in the car. Pretty much says ND is letting dumbasses into school.
I think Kellys players like his coaching but have little respect for him as a man. Even back in the Manti days he was throwing all of Charlies players under the bus. Which had Teo saying he plays for his brothers in response.If we know he's been doing this they know he's been doing this.

You're correct those are dumbasses. I should have used dumbasses in the classroom.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They do as far as I know. But with the frozen five he made comments to the effect that the school doesn't do enough to protect the "at risk" players (read: the ones that barely got in). He never elaborated on that comment.

I am a professor at a public university in Michigan that prides itself on supporting "at risk" students (athletes among them). Most of these students recognize their deficits and work hard to overcome them in addition to keeping up with college level work and playing their sports. I'm sure it's difficult for underprepared athletes to play football (or other sports) AND manage this work. I can't imagine that ND doesn't have an excellent system for doing so, but bottom line, it's the individual athletes' responsibility to maintain their academic integrity. If they can't manage the expectations of a university like ND (or Michigan), then they should go elsewhere--where the academic load and pressures are perhaps lighter (no disrespect intended to those institutions) despite the exposure that they get at a place like ND. It's a dilemma.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't call what Kelly has done as mediocre though. He's played for a title, played in another NYE 6 bowl, has ND in the top 15 in winning % his first 6 years. I grew up with ND football under the Davie, Willingham and Weis tenures, that was bad. I'm only 30 so I have no recollection of what ND was when Holtz had it rolling.

I'm just saying ND hasn't had back to back 10 wins seasons in 25 years, all of the sudden suggesting that we are that type of program isn't the truth. We can have a great season(2012), but a lot of things have to go our way, as those types of years do with most programs. I'm just being realistic, until proven otherwise, I won't really change my expectation.

I thought this year would be better, and frankly given the shitty schedule we've had thus far, we should be better, this year is unacceptable.
I can see how coming of age during the Bob Weisingham era would cause you to think this way and it's a fair point I can't argue.

The fact that there hasn't been back to back 10 win seasons in so long is the frustrating part. The fans want that return to former glory. The question is whether the powers that be care.

If they were smart, they'd realize that ND's legacy includes its football lore and should strive to regain it.

I'm not so naive to not understand that the game has changed and the most successful programs are essentially semi-pro teams nominally affiliated with the university. And I don't think ND should sacrifice its identity for that. But as long as they are recruiting well they certainly can become a top contender more often than once a decade or two.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a professor at a public university in Michigan that prides itself on supporting "at risk" students (athletes among them). Most of these students recognize their deficits and work hard to overcome them in addition to keeping up with college level work and playing their sports. I'm sure it's difficult for underprepared athletes to play football (or other sports) AND manage this work. I can't imagine that ND doesn't have an excellent system for doing so, but bottom line, it's the individual athletes' responsibility to maintain their academic integrity. If they can't manage the expectations of a university like ND (or Michigan), then they should go elsewhere--where the academic load and pressures are perhaps lighter (no disrespect intended to those institutions) despite the exposure that they get at a place like ND. It's a dilemma.
Oh I agree. I went to a DIII school and the coaches even though they had no athletic scholarships were given an allotment of students they could essentially "hand pick" for admission, as long as they were minimally eligible. There were conditions though. If you were admitted in such a fashion they had mandatory study halls and an academic advisor until their cum. Gpa reached 2.5.