• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Breakout player for 2016

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is your breakout player for 2016. This is just a guy that takes a big step forward this year for whatever reason. Could be a no name that just gets some snaps, a good player that becomes great, a bad player that becomes OK or an average player that becomes good. You get to pick whomever you want and make your own rules.

I already said my guy is Claiborne for this year in other threads. I've been waiting for a healthy season to see if he can be a good player for us and maybe it's more wishful thinking than anything else, but I still think he can be. I'm not saying he will justify his draft slot. That went out the window long ago. I'm just expecting a guy that started due to injuries and got a lot of snaps due to poor talent around him and was left out for any team to sign cut to show that he deserves that PT and is actually going to be a good player for us, make some big plays and gain our confidence that he can cover NFL receivers. I thought he was good last year, but looking for even more this year. It is interesting how much good we have heard about him this offseason. Maybe a little too much, but I'm sticking with him.

My runner up is Hitchens. I still think this kid is going to be a very good player in the middle of the field for us. He was great in short spurts in 2014 and had some game changing stops for us. I was disappointed he didn't step up last year and become a mainstay on this defense like I thought he would. I think the ceiling for this kid is very high. Just plug him in and let him grow.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is another Claiborne article. Like I said. Are there too many reports about him playing well now? It is starting to worry me that it is almost becoming expected that he will breakout this year.

Finally Healthy & Producing, Mo Claiborne Excited To Love Football Again

Monday, August 08, 2016 3:44 PM CDT

OXNARD, Calif. – It’s old news by now that Morris Claiborne is playing well at training camp.

After six full practices, no one on the Cowboys’ roster ranks higher than Claiborne in terms of on-field production, not to mention day-to-day consistency so far this summer. The fifth-year corner might be pleased to hear that, but he was sure to also downplay it.

“It’s been solid,” he said. “It’s a long way from where I want to be right now, and I’m just continuing to work every day – come out here and try to be better than I was the day before.”

Claiborne was again solid on Sunday, as he continues to build toward the start of the season. But what stood out during Sunday’s Blue-White Scrimmage, moreso than any actual gameplay, was his unbridled enthusiasm for the game – even from the safety of the sidelines.

When the second-team defense was playing in the red zone, there was Claiborne – cheering them on and offering pep talks. When the backups allowed a completion, he was quick to consult with fellow veteran Orlando Scandrickabout what went wrong – was there a miscommunication, or had the technique been wrong?

And, of course, when his understudies made a play on the ball, Claiborne was the first to rush the field in celebration for his young teammates.

“I’m enjoying it, man. I’m just excited about it,” he said.

For a guy who’s had as tough a go of it as Claiborne, it was a welcome sight. And if you’ve followed his story since he was drafted more than four years ago, it’s obvious that it hasn’t always been the case.

“It’s like I was telling Sean Lee earlier today – it’s been a while since I’ve actually loved football the way I love it right now, and I’m just so excited about it,” Claiborne said. “I get so excited for the young guys that’s out there, because I want those guys to do well. When they make plays, it puts something inside of me.”

That’s an encouraging statement from a guy who has had so many ups and downs in such a brief amount of time. Claiborne’s story feels beaten into the ground at this point, but for the sake of reminder: since the Cowboys traded up to draft him No. 6 overall in 2012, Claiborne has appeared in just 40 of 66 possible games, logging a total of just three interceptions.

Injuries have plagued him throughout his career – most notably, when he missed the team’s 2014 playoff run with a torn patellar tendon.

Claiborne bounced back in time to produce one of his better – and arguably his healthiest – seasons to date in 2015. He was good enough and reliable enough to earn a one-year, $3 million contract to remain with the team.

With all of that in mind, it’s not surprising to hear that Claiborne’s re-discovered energy coincides perfectly with what has been the healthiest stretch of his career. Unlike past years, where he has had to work with athletic trainers on rehab and conditioning, Claiborne is in the thick of things – and loving it.

“I’d definitely say it’s because I’m healthy enough to go out and do it,” he said. “Healthy enough to be out on the field with my teammates and not in the training room or not standing on the sideline watching. I’m with them every step of the day right now.”

That isn’t lost on the Cowboys’ coaches, as they’ve watched him throughout the offseason program and into the early portion of training camp. Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said he thinks Claiborne’s setbacks will help him develop as a player and a person.

“Mo’s handled a lot of different injuries over the course of his career, a lot of different adversities,” Garrett said. “For me and for our staff he’s kind of come out the other end of it in a real positive way. I think he’s benefitting and grown from the experiences that he’s had.”

It’s still just one step out of many. Camp goes on for several more weeks, including preseason games. After that comes the grind of the regular season, where Claiborne has never managed to put together a full 16-game campaign.

For the time being, though, it’s certainly a step in the right direction.

Finally Healthy & Producing, Mo Claiborne Excited To Love Football Again

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lord knows Claiborne is due and I agree Hitchins will continue to shine with an increased role. I'm going with Brice Butler & Tyron Crawford for cowboy breakout players this coming season. I also think both rookie dline guys ( Tapper & Collins) will come along nicely and be positive contributors in our dline rotation this year.

getting pumped.......

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So many good options this year. Not even mentioning Jones at FS and Collins who could go from could to great

Agree on getting pumped. Can't wait to see the preseason games and Hoping for a quick start this year. Never want to put too much pressure on one week, but I think by the end of the year the week 1 game result may just play a role in the division standings.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So many good options this year. Not even mentioning Jones at FS and Collins who could go from could to great

Agree on getting pumped. Can't wait to see the preseason games and Hoping for a quick start this year. Never want to put too much pressure on one week, but I think by the end of the year the week 1 game result may just play a role in the division standings.

All I know is that I am not going to have another Thanksgiving dinner ruined.

So it's either a restaurant or I trip the house breaker on purpose.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going with the easy pick. Ezekiel Elliott.

it looks like he is getting the heavy load right out of the gate. This kid doesn't even need a good line.
1,200 yards, no problem.

reptec101

warPAINt nation
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I know is that I am not going to have another Thanksgiving dinner ruined.

So it's either a restaurant or I trip the house breaker on purpose.

Probably smart since you guys play the Skins that day. Being serious. Not trolling.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going with the easy pick. Ezekiel Elliott.

it looks like he is getting the heavy load right out of the gate. This kid doesn't even need a good line.
1,200 yards, no problem.

Report: Ezekiel Elliott won't be eased into offense, McFadden could be trade bait
The Cowboys have a crowded running back corps but have a ton of needs on defense

The Dallas Cowboys bucked recent tradition by taking a running back with the No. 4 overall pick in the 2016 NFL Draft. Ezekiel Elliott was the best back in college football last season, and one of the best in recent memory; he was also reportedly the top player on Dallas' draft board. So it should come as no surprise that the Cowboys have no plans to ease Elliott into the offense to conserve him for later in the season or later in his career.

According to ESPN's Todd Archer, they're going to throw him into the fire as a three-down workhorse right away.

There are a couple ways of viewing this strategy. One is that the Cowboys know running backs tend to have short careers and they're not going to waste one of the few peak years Elliott has by easing him into the offense; they want to just get him going right away and ride him for all he's worth while he's still a top-level talent.

Considering there are only a few more years left in Tony Romo's career (at best), it makes some degree of sense to get all you can out of Elliott while you know your quarterback is capable of playing at a high level.

The other way of viewing this is that the Cowboys are planning to ride their highest pick in years right away, and that will shorten the length of time that he'll be able to contribute to the team at a high level. Romo won't be around forever, after all, and we all saw how long it took the Cowboys to find another high-level quarterback after Troy Aikman retired. If Elliott's not around to carry the post-Romo offense until they find their next QB of the future, who will do it?

Either way, it's clear Zeke is going to play a big role from Day 1, so what does that mean for the other backs on Dallas' roster?

They have last season's leading rusher, Darren McFadden, as well as the returning-from-an-ACL-tear Lance Dunbar, free agent acquisition Alfred Morris, and late-round draft pick Darius Jackson all in camp together. Here's Archer on the backup running back situation:

There's a lot to unpack there. Dunbar, obviously, is still working his way back from that injury. As the most pure pass-catching back on the roster as well as an ace return man, he likely has a role on the roster once he gets back. But Archer said that 1) Morris and McFadden will both make the roster; and 2) McFadden might be a trade piece.

Morris has done well in the zone-blocking run game the Cowboys use, notably in his first season in Washington with Robert Griffin III under center. Dallas uses a little more of a power style zone system than Washington did, but the one-cut-and-go attack Morris uses is a good fit behind an offensive line that creates some of the widest holes in the league.

McFadden excelled in that system last season, but if Elliott is the starter, Morris is the No. 2, and Dunbar is the scatback/return man, is there really a role for McFadden on the roster? We're skeptical a soon-to-be 29-year old running back with a history of injuries and little success outside Dallas has much value on the trade market, but it would at least make sense for the Cowboys to see what they can get for his services so long as they feel Dunbar or Jackson is ready to contribute.

The Cowboys have needs all over the field on defense, but especially up front. If they can swing a player from a position of strength in exchange for one at a position of weakness, that would make a lot of sense.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said Claiborne last year and was wrong, not sure I want to pick this year, but I'd say either Bruce or Escobar. Maybe Escobar will make me wrong for hating on him being drafted by Dallas.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this LB from Iowa we just picked up. He was everywhere in the practice that was online. Morris. Now that I said that he will probably be a 1st cut.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this LB from Iowa we just picked up. He was everywhere in the practice that was online. Morris. Now that I said that he will probably be a 1st cut.
Not sure I remember reading about him. Need to go look him up

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had no idea who he was, looks like a camp body for practice depth.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Byron Jones is my pick for breakout player of 2016. Byron Jones will be a Pro-Bowler this year - you heard it here first!

Charles Tapper is a sleeper pick of mine to be a real contributor. No, I'm not predicting Tapper will have a "breakout" year, but I do think he will carve out a significant role in the Dline rotation and be a solid contributor.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to go with David Irving. I think he is in line for an extended look during this preseason and I think he gives us a load of flexibility the first four games, and then will settle into a role after DLaw gets back. I think he will open some eyes with the opportunity and Rod will repay him for his hard work.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to go with David Irving. I think he is in line for an extended look during this preseason and I think he gives us a load of flexibility the first four games, and then will settle into a role after DLaw gets back. I think he will open some eyes with the opportunity and Rod will repay him for his hard work.
good selection
maybe I'm the Lone Ranger on this one, but I don't think our dline will be as piss poor as so many assume

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I remember reading about him. Need to go look him up

Played with Hitchens in college. Played with Giants last yr. Probably a special teamer at best. One thing is for certain - these RBs will all know who he is after this camp.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Terrance Williams considered too good of a player to break out?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Terrance Williams considered too good of a player to break out?
No. Every player can break out IMO. Any player can have a career year