• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Breaking: David Carr deflated footballs in 2006; ballboys let air out to counter Denver's altitude

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evidently they needed to be more vigilant, given the people they were dealing with. I guess the Pats' defense could be, "If they didn't want us to cheat, they shouldn't have given us the opportunity."

It's kind of like that car with the camera in it that cops leave on the street with the keys in them, then see who steals it. 99.9% of people just walk on by, that 0.1% make for great drama.
Sorry but that's not the point. It's integrity, 100% integrity. You can't have it 90% of the time. You either have it or you don't. I'm all for them cleaning up the league. But the NFL needs to get off this hollier than thou appearance they are trying to create.
This is not an excuse for a team to circumvent the system. But we all know teams will until caught. Everyone who are charged with enforcing the rules need to do their job as well.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry but that's not the point. It's integrity, 100% integrity. You can't have it 90% of the time. You either have it or you don't. I'm all for them cleaning up the league. But the NFL needs to get off this hollier than thou appearance they are trying to create.
This is not an excuse for a team to circumvent the system. But we all know teams will until caught. Everyone who are charged with enforcing the rules need to do their job as well.
The power struggle between the league office and NFLPA isn't anything new.

Goodell had like 10 days to announce who the arbiter would be for the appeal and he made it right away. Having Vincent do the penalty phase entirely paved that way and this was intended from day 1.

Experts are calling the NFLPA's attempt to have him recuse himself because they intend to call him as a witness as a nice try, but very unlikely to work. Both sides want to establish the precedent. This part of the proceeding is far more about overall power than the case itself. If Goodell backs away now it's a huge loss for the league office as a whole, not just this case. So it's just not going to happen.

They want this thing done by the end of June.

The bigger question now is will the team also appeal. I've read they have until like Thursday to do so? And it's rare teams do appeal, but it does happen. I think they should and I'd expect they will win at least a reduction to the draft pick losses which is probably more of a big deal than Brady's lost games.

This drama won't be finished for at least another month.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The power struggle between the league office and NFLPA isn't anything new.

Goodell had like 10 days to announce who the arbiter would be for the appeal and he made it right away. Having Vincent do the penalty phase entirely paved that way and this was intended from day 1.

Experts are calling the NFLPA's attempt to have him recuse himself because they intend to call him as a witness as a nice try, but very unlikely to work. Both sides want to establish the precedent. This part of the proceeding is far more about overall power than the case itself. If Goodell backs away now it's a huge loss for the league office as a whole, not just this case. So it's just not going to happen.

They want this thing done by the end of June.

The bigger question now is will the team also appeal. I've read they have until like Thursday to do so? And it's rare teams do appeal, but it does happen. I think they should and I'd expect they will win at least a reduction to the draft pick losses which is probably more of a big deal than Brady's lost games.

This drama won't be finished for at least another month.
I'm no lawyer. But what the experts are saying is Vincent didn't have the authority to hand down the punishment?
As for will Kraft take it to court? I don't know he defended Brady again today publicly. Plus they're at the owners meetings? I think he'll see what the feeling of the owners will be before he decides.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm no lawyer. But what the experts are saying is Vincent didn't have the authority to hand down the punishment?
As for will Kraft take it to court? I don't know he defended Brady again today publicly. Plus they're at the owners meetings? I think he'll see what the feeling of the owners will be before he decides.
* what the experts you have heard said, and I'm guessing most of them are pro Pats/anti NFL.

Experts on the NFL network have said none of this will likely matter and I've seen other legal/sports legal experts chime in similarly.

Look, we get it, every Pats fan is buying into anything the Pats put out and/or the NFLPA puts out. We probably would too if we were in your shoes. I'm simply saying there is more than one view on this and I'm not convinced the NFLPA is going to have as much success in this as you guys believe.

Goodell is not going to blink He WILL hear the appeal. I've said since before the punishment came out that whatever it was would be reduced and my guess was 4 down to 2 and I still believe that.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the team appeal and I'd bet the draft picks would be reduced.

It is my opinion that both of those will happen and that it will be enough to not have the NFLPA, Brady, or the team pursue it further. And should they, I doubt anything comes of it.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
* what the experts you have heard said, and I'm guessing most of them are pro Pats/anti NFL.

Experts on the NFL network have said none of this will likely matter and I've seen other legal/sports legal experts chime in similarly.

Look, we get it, every Pats fan is buying into anything the Pats put out and/or the NFLPA puts out. We probably would too if we were in your shoes. I'm simply saying there is more than one view on this and I'm not convinced the NFLPA is going to have as much success in this as you guys believe.

Goodell is not going to blink He WILL hear the appeal. I've said since before the punishment came out that whatever it was would be reduced and my guess was 4 down to 2 and I still believe that.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the team appeal and I'd bet the draft picks would be reduced.

It is my opinion that both of those will happen and that it will be enough to not have the NFLPA, Brady, or the team pursue it further. And should they, I doubt anything comes of it.
It's been said on multiple sports netwotks. I don't recall who said it but I will follow it up and see if it is said again. At which time I will surely let you know.
As for what will happen? We can all speculate. My sense if the Pats/TB don't get what they perceive as aajust appeal. This will end up in court. Will there really be a WINNER if it goes to court? I think not. Peter King reported today when he spoke with Kraft this weekend he said Kraft still sounds pissed.
Now it's more of a question will someone blink?

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both sides have to push things at this point or end up looking weak and in effect giving up power on other things down the road.

I just see a point at where neither side is happy, but both can live with it and I think they are going to shoot to get there.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both sides have to push things at this point or end up looking weak and in effect giving up power on other things down the road.

I just see a point at where neither side is happy, but both can live with it and I think they are going to shoot to get there.
I think and hope you're right.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You know I'm starting to think the 4 games will not get reduced. If the Pats file a appeal, I think the draft picks get reduced.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Breaking News: Ryan Leaf caught inflating balls while taking a shit in his parents basement. He was sending these balls to a number of teams' ballboys, specific teams are undisclosed.

He has lost his mind.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before we get to that, we need other teams to have noticed and for the league itself to ask Carr and the equipment team if they did do anything wrong and have at least some evidence they aren't being truthful. Only then can he rise to Brady's rarefied air.

"Paging the Colts Front Office"

But yes.... it was because the Patriots lied (Brady more than the Patriots) and were smug about it.) If Brady came out and admitted it, I bet the league would have only given the Patriots a fine (which still would get a massive amount of hatred saying the Patriots got off easy, they should have been punished more, yada yada...But it probably would have died down a lot quicker than now.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But yes.... it was because the Patriots lied (Brady more than the Patriots) and were smug about it.) If Brady came out and admitted it, I bet the league would have only given the Patriots a fine (which still would get a massive amount of hatred saying the Patriots got off easy, they should have been punished more, yada yada...But it probably would have died down a lot quicker than now.
People might have bitched, but there is a lot of precedent to support a 25k fine. Ball tampering isn't that uncommon and there have been several fines for it over the years. Hell, even if they gave them 25k per ball Kraft would have gotten off a lot lighter than 1m.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My understanding is that the NFL offered a 25,000 fine and the Pats said no way. That was early on.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People might have bitched, but there is a lot of precedent to support a 25k fine. Ball tampering isn't that uncommon and there have been several fines for it over the years. Hell, even if they gave them 25k per ball Kraft would have gotten off a lot lighter than 1m.

and that's what is hilarious about this whole thing.... a deflated ball (yes I know it's about the lying) has caused all of this crap.... a BALL..... By 1 or maybe 2 psi

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My understanding is that the NFL offered a 25,000 fine and the Pats said no way. That was early on.

If that in fact was true (and it possibly could have been) then they are pretty stupid.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and that's what is hilarious about this whole thing.... a deflated ball (yes I know it's about the lying) has caused all of this crap.... a BALL..... By 1 or maybe 2 psi
.5 or so for a few of them wasn't it?

Yeah, it's retarded.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.5 or so for a few of them wasn't it?

Yeah, it's retarded.

yeah I believe about 5 or so were "under" by .5 psi or something like that.

A ball causes all this commotion and hatred... Yet a video of a man beating the crap out of a women is just an "eh, shit happens... let's move on."

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah I believe about 5 or so were "under" by .5 psi or something like that.

A ball causes all this commotion and hatred... Yet a video of a man beating the crap out of a women is just an "eh, shit happens... let's move on."
Come on, you know there's a difference between what happens on the field and what happens in your off team.

If I beat my wife I probably don't face any penalty at work, but slap a coworker and I'm fired.

Of course it's different for high profile people. CEO's and what not, but there is a difference between lying about cheating the game (as minor as it may be) and doing anything dumb on your own time.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Come on, you know there's a difference between what happens on the field and what happens in your off team.

If I beat my wife I probably don't face any penalty at work, but slap a coworker and I'm fired.

Of course it's different for high profile people. CEO's and what not, but there is a difference between lying about cheating the game (as minor as it may be) and doing anything dumb on your own time.

Yet, Goodell is all about the "integrity" of the league. Last time I checked having murderers and wife beaters still in the league slaps integrity in the face pretty hard!

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet, Goodell is all about the "integrity" of the league. Last time I checked having murderers and wife beaters still in the league slaps integrity in the face pretty hard!
So you're saying since they let these horrible people play they should simply ignore all the lesser violations?

Does it matter that those players are being suspended before being allowed to play. Some are suspended without being convicted in a court of law.

How do you feel about convicted felons, who served their time, getting jobs after their release? Should these guys never be allowed to work any job?

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all findings like this do is prove the rest of the nfl fans to be total hypocrites.

we eat it up in NE.