• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Brady To Be A Free Agent in 2020

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is factper Tom Curran on Boston Sports Tonight. Tonight it is still on and the discussion is heated.

1) The Brady extendionwas not harmonious. If anything it was contencious.
2) They did the contract to get the needed cap space to sign players.

Here's real contract information as reported tonight.

The Tom Brady contract is void as of the end of the last Patriots' game of 2019 whether it be game #16 or the Suoer Bowl.

As part of the extension agreement the Patriots cannot Franchise or Transition Tom Brady after 2019.

Tom Brady will be a free agent when the 2020 season begins.

Curran and Perry are upset because they honestly believe that Brady is pissed off.

Belichick did not want to extend Brady for real money for several reasons, the most important is that he thinks Brady is starting to decline. Brady's stats were down last year and BB believes that they will continue to decline. Considering that the Patriots lost Gronk and have a number of new wide receivers BB wants to take a wait and see attitude. Brady is pissed and and would not agree to the extension unless he got the no franchise or transition written into it.

Both Curran and perry believe that there will be teams ready to pounce and pay Brady $40-$50M a year for three years with a chance to win now and if Brady does become a FA, they think that there is a better than 50/50 chance he sign elsewhere and play with a vengence to beat the Patriots.

This is some serious shit.

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something I don't understand: Why would Brady be so averse to the franchise tag? If applied, he gets an average of the top 5 QBs' cap hit in the league. As a guy who will be 43 in 2020, does he think he's going to be improving where he can earn more than the average salary. Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Carson Wentz, Ben Roethlisberger and Matt Ryan all make in excess of $30 million annually. Assuming he thinks he's being shortchanged by the first year of this extension, a franchise tag for a year or two still puts him with the highest annually paid players in the league.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is factper Tom Curran on Boston Sports Tonight. Tonight it is still on and the discussion is heated.

The Tom Brady contract is void as of the end of the last Patriots' game of 2019 whether it be game #16 or the Suoer Bowl.

As part of the extension agreement the Patriots cannot Franchise or Transition Tom Brady after 2019.

Curran and Perry are upset because they honestly believe that Brady is pissed off.

Belichick did not want to extend Brady for real money for several reasons, the most important is that he thinks Brady is starting to decline. Brady's stats were down last year and BB believes that they will continue to decline. Considering that the Patriots lost Gronk and have a number of new wide receivers BB wants to take a wait and see attitude. Brady is pissed and and would not agree to the extension unless he got the no franchise or transition written into it.

Both Curran and perry believe that there will be teams ready to pounce and pay Brady $40-$50M a year for three years with a chance to win now and if Brady does become a FA, they think that there is a better than 50/50 chance he sign elsewhere and play with a vengence to beat the Patriots.

Boston sports pundits stirring up shit where it doesn't exist? Who'da thunk :L

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston sports pundits stirring up shit where it doesn't exist? Who'da thunk :L

Curran was really wound up. I thought he was going to actually cry. They were all happy as clams last night and then someone got hold of the contract and underwear are being soiled at an alarming rate tonight.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something I don't understand: Why would Brady be so averse to the franchise tag? If applied, he gets an average of the top 5 QBs' cap hit in the league. As a guy who will be 43 in 2020, does he think he's going to be improving where he can earn more than the average salary. Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers, Carson Wentz, Ben Roethlisberger and Matt Ryan all make in excess of $30 million annually. Assuming he thinks he's being shortchanged by the first year of this extension, a franchise tag for a year or two still puts him with the highest annually paid players in the league.

I don't think (my opinion) that he's pissed at the money, he's pissed that the extension is a favor to the patriots and they wanted to void it at the end of the year....just in case. So he decided to turn the table and not allow THEM to control next year if they decide not approach him with a new and better contract. It's as if he's saying, No problem I'll be the good guy and help you out and possibly help myself........but......just in case I have a spectacular season 35 TDs 8 INT and another Super Bowl ring, ""I""get to call the shots next year and you best be ready because I ain't doin' any more favors and it's gonna cost you a dumptruck full of money.

Again, IMO, there comes a time when being Mr. Nice Guy is over. Brady may have reached that time.

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think (my opinion) that he's pissed at the money, he's pissed that the extension is a favor to the patriots and they wanted to void it at the end of the year....just in case. So he decided to turn the table and not allow THEM to control next year if they decide not approach him with a new and better contract. It's as if he's saying, No problem I'll be the good guy and help you out and possibly help myself........but......just in case I have a spectacular season 35 TDs 8 INT and another Super Bowl ring, ""I""get to call the shots next year and you best be ready because I ain't doin' any more favors and it's gonna cost you a dumptruck full of money.

Again, IMO, there comes a time when being Mr. Nice Guy is over. Brady may have reached that time.
Yeah, entirely possible. I just wouldn’t have expected any bad blood between the two sides. It’s not like Brady looks visibly old or hasn’t had successful seasons recently. Thanks.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Something seems fishy about this IMO

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like winning. Brady has been a major part of enjoying many years.
If Brady wants to get pissy at 42 - 43? I don't care.
Am I being hard?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like winning. Brady has been a major part of enjoying many years.
If Brady wants to get pissy at 42 - 43? I don't care.
Am I being hard?

No not at all. We all know TB12 included, he is closer to then end than the beginning. It would suck to see him in another uniform but both sides need to do what they feel is right for them.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if he would ever consider being a QB coach?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a real hard time trying to figure this out but it dawnwdon me, and this is only my opinion but...............

Brady has been a loyal Patriots since he was drafted in 2000. He's taken pay cuts and redone his contract for one reason only, to make the team better and more competitive. Over the past few years, football players are asking and getting more and more guaranteed money and in a couple of instances, guaranteed contract.

Tom Brady has saailedinto uncharted waters. No QB had ever won a Super Bowl at 39 or 41 and Brady set a new standard. TB12, the business, has begun to forge an entirely new field of athletics, professional players playing professional sports into their forties. No one knows for sure how many clients that TB12 has, but there are rumors that more than 300 pro baseball, basketball, hockey and football players are paying huge money to be individually instructed on diet, exercise and health.

IMO, Brady has reached a point where he is setting new standards but the establishment, especially in professional football is hesitating because of the violence of the game and the fraility of the human body as it naturally ages.

Which bring us to today. I think that the Patriots knew that they had to create some cap space and redoing Brady's contract was the easiest way to open up a huge chunk. Guaranteeing an $8M raise for 2019 was easy and felt like the right thing to do, but guaranteeing $62M to a 43 and then 44 year old football player was way to chancy for BB and probably the Krafts. So they decided to void the contract after this year and told Tom not to worry because they'd certainly pony up the cash for as long as he wanted and could play. Brady on the other hand decided that he he'd accept the money for 2019, but that the Krafts and the Patriots had to give up something in return and that was their right to either transition or franchise him in 2020.

This thing can go two or three different ways.

1. Father time catches up with Brady and he hits the age wall. His performance drops of dramatically and the Patriots finally start to fall back with the pack. At the end of the season, everyone knows the end has come and TB retires.

2. Brady gets injured, seriously. BB and the Krafts blow out a sigh of relief as Brady decides that rehabbing and attempting to come back at 43 will be just too much to expect and TB retires.

3. This is worst scenario for the Patriots. Even with less Than stellar WRs, Brady throws for more than 30 TDs and 4500 yards. The Patriots cruise through the playoffs and make it to their 5th Super Bowl in a row.
Win or lose, Brady has again exceeded expectations and will now enter a place he's never been. Free Agency.

Make no mistake about it, there will be teams that would sell theirsouls to Satan to have Brady finish his career on their team. In the AFC East the Bills and Dolphins would be first in line. IMO opinion John Elway would push everyone out of the way to get to Brady and put the Broncos right in the face of the Chiefs.
Patricia and Brady were good fiends and he'd certainly be knocking on TB's door and my guess is that teams that you might not think would be interested, could be strong contenders, like the Texans, the Jags, and the Giants. Brady could be the first professional athlete to break the $50M a year barrier.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Curran is a fucking bitch. He's gone the way of the fake news drama to get clicks on his articles and to get people talking about..........Tom Curran.

There is no way that Brady is pissed about his contract. His agent is a killer. Tom is doing what is best for Tom by making a deal that benefits him and the team now. Tom is not stupid. After his retirement he will make millions and millions on his legacy alone. The guy is already a fucking legend. Hell, the TB12 brand already exists and is ready for Tom to retire from football.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta say I don’t love giving up the flexibility of the tag here by the Pats, but if BB decided that was a worthwhile tradeoff for the cap relief so be it. He was gonna be a FA after this season before and now he still is. I gotta believe neither side wants him to finish anywhere else and they’ll basically just have to figure out how to make it work year to year the rest of the way and just do their negotiating in March instead of July.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom Curran is a fucking bitch. He's gone the way of the fake news drama to get clicks on his articles and to get people talking about..........Tom Curran.

There is no way that Brady is pissed about his contract. His agent is a killer. Tom is doing what is best for Tom by making a deal that benefits him and the team now. Tom is not stupid. After his retirement he will make millions and millions on his legacy alone. The guy is already a fucking legend. Hell, the TB12 brand already exists and is ready for Tom to retire from football.
Has he started pearl clutching about the house listing yet?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At $23M for 2019, Tom Brady still ranks below 12 others

1. Russell Wilson - Seattle Seahawks - $35 million (also the highest-paid player in the NFL)
  2. Ben Roethlisberger - Pittsburgh Steelers - $34 million
  3. Aaron Rodgers - Green Bay Packers - $33.5 million
  4. Carson Wentz - Philadelphia Eagles - $32 million
  5. Matt Ryan - Atlanta Falcons - $30 million
  6. Kirk Cousins - Minnesota Vikings - $28 million
  7. Jimmy Garoppolo - San Francisco 49ers - $27.5 million
  8. Matthew Stafford - Detroit Lions - $27 million
  9. Derek Carr - Oakland Raiders - $25.005 million
  10. Drew Brees - New Orleans Saints - $25 million
  11. Andrew Luck - Indianapolis Colts - $24.6 million
  12. Alex Smith - Washington Redskins - $23.5 million
  13. Tom Brady - New England Patriots - $23.0 million

14. I realize that some of you have inside information that no one else is privy to and that some of you dislike Tom Curran and therefore everything he reports is bullshit. But Tom Brady might be just a little pissed off that Patriots' people have lost faith in him. But since you all know him personally and can vouch for his undying loyalty to Patriots, I won't spend days arguing over something I have zero control.

Shoeshine Boy

Humble & Lovable
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This article points out what should’ve been an obvious thing I hadn’t considered in why the no tag option would’ve been an important concession for the Pats to give - by lowering his cap number with this deal they also lowered the amount they would’ve had to pay him on the tag next year, so obviously offsetting that makes a lot more sense than Brady being pissed off. And it otherwise agrees with my earlier point that it just puts a little more urgency on when they need to revisit his contract for 2020 and that theyre basically on a year to year basis from now on.

Both sides are assuming some risk as they sail these unchartered waters, but this was a solid compromise for both sides that seems a lot more indicative of a good business relationship than an allegedly crumbling one to me.

Tom Brady and Voidable Contract Years | Over the Cap

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3. This is worst scenario for the Patriots. Even with less Than stellar WRs, Brady throws for more than 30 TDs and 4500 yards. The Patriots cruise through the playoffs and make it to their 5th Super Bowl in a row.
Win or lose, Brady has again exceeded expectations and will now enter a place he's never been. Free Agency.

Scenario 3.
But it will be 4 in a row, tying Buffalo. Win or lose.

And then BB, RK and TB will hash it out again.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tom and Giselle have put their Brookline, MA house on the market today for a meager $39,500,000.