• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bostic hit with 21K fine for hit

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't wish to elaborate on this any further. I have been ranting about this all morning with some co-workers.

A sad day for football, IMO. A new low. That hit was as clean as you can hit someone in that situation. Hit the middle of the body, wrapped up, and drove him into the ground. No launch, etc... nothing.

Seriously, it's stuff like this that makes me want to slowly stop caring about football. In 25 years, it's hard to imagine there's a sport left that I'll really want to watch. This game will be all but finished. Non-collison sports like basketball and baseball will likely be the thriving sports.

You just know they hit Bostic with this fine because he's an up and coming player who has a chance to be an elite LB in a few years. They're getting to these guys young now. Welcome to the NFL rookie... don't hit our offensive skill players too hard.

The worst part, this docked him a games worth of pay. Bull shit of epic proportion.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't understand the call, which was defenseless player violation. My only thinking is that the league didn't deem the turn, 1 1/2 steps up the field after the catch (it should have been a fumble) to be enough. Worse is, the guy was facing Bostic after the "catch". According to Jeff Dickerson, it wasn't a helmet crown violation, but a defenseless player violation. I just don't get it.

:lame::lame::lame::lame::lame::gaah:

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GIF-Bears-LB-Jon-Bostic-Hit-On-Chargers-WR-Mike-Willie.gif

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
edit: posted this few minutes ago on Denver board but re-posting here since it's Bears.

Time to start boycotting the NFL Hall of Fame. Time to start blaming these ex players aka the Players Union for ruining the NFL they paved for us. This is not about Goodell. This is about lawyers, and the money these greedy, dishonorable ex players are STEALING from the players of today. Goodell has no choice but to levy these ridiculous fines for as long as the players union threaten to sue for concussions. It's internal terrorism of the NFL and it's killing the sport.

Do firefighters sue when they get burned? Do cops sue when they get shot? Do pilots sue when their planes go down? It's criminal that these law suits even exist. Until someone stands up for the sport and tells these ex-players to live with their choices and stop selfishly hurting the sport they paved for everyone else, nothing will change. It will only get worse.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
edit: posted this few minutes ago on Denver board but re-posting here since it's Bears.

Time to start boycotting the NFL Hall of Fame. Time to start blaming these ex players aka the Players Union for ruining the NFL they paved for us. This is not about Goodell. This is about lawyers, and the money these greedy, dishonorable ex players are STEALING from the players of today. Goodell has no choice but to levy these ridiculous fines for as long as the players union threaten to sue for concussions. It's internal terrorism of the NFL and it's killing the sport.

Do firefighters sue when they get burned? Do cops sue when they get shot? Do pilots sue when their planes go down? It's criminal that these law suits even exist. Until someone stands up for the sport and tells these ex-players to live with their choices and stop selfishly hurting the sport they paved for everyone else, nothing will change. It will only get worse.

They don't sue, but I'm pretty sure in a lot of instances there are some institutional based insurances for permanent disabilities. The player Union in the NFL is wanting these same institutional (this time the NFL rather than a City or State government) insurances against permanent disabilities, rather than relying upon outside insurances.

Take my father as an example, he came out of the military 10% disabled. The Govt sent him a check every month there after for his life. As he progressed he became a fairly good business man and when the govt wanted to increase his disability, he refused citing not needing the $$. Then when it became apparent the injuries he suffered in his youth were causing major problems in his old age, the govt had to be strong armed into getting him his full 100% disability, which they did finally grant, and then he got an even bigger check from the govt, plus all his care for the balance of his life.

What the players want is ... Substitute the Government institution for the NFL institution.

Stevein2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's pretty weak. There was really no other way for him to make that hit so giving him a fine doesn't change anything. It's pretty ticky tack for the NFL to even consider the guy defenseless. It was a quick play but the guy had enough time to bring the ball in and start running with it. Also barely any contact was made between helmets, the guy absorbed almost all it to his shoulder. I understand a flag being thrown because his head snapped back and it's hard to tell without replay but a fine is stupid. The NFL itself called the play "spectacular" which is the biggest joke of all.

SlapNuts

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodell is ruining the sport. That CLEAN hit was the hit of the week. Goodell and his cronies are the only ones who don't think so. Might as well put flags on the players and get rid of pads and helmets all together. I've played and have been a fan all my life, I don't know how much more I can take.

Signed,
A fan, the reason you have a job Goodell

touchdownhester

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All they need to do to stop thos ridiculous nonsense is have every player who wants to play sign a waiver that they cant sue the NFL and let them play..SImple...Its bulls hit like this thats ruining this game...That hit could not have been any cleaner..And yes it was a fumble...

RaptorII

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.
A fine for that play is nonsense.
The guy established possession, made a football move, and was tackled -resulting a fumble.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe players should start wearing tutus and tiaras.

Bear player or not, let them play football. Just fucking ridiculous.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much a form tackle.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's pretty weak. There was really no other way for him to make that hit so giving him a fine doesn't change anything. It's pretty ticky tack for the NFL to even consider the guy defenseless. It was a quick play but the guy had enough time to bring the ball in and start running with it. Also barely any contact was made between helmets, the guy absorbed almost all it to his shoulder. I understand a flag being thrown because his head snapped back and it's hard to tell without replay but a fine is stupid. The NFL itself called the play "spectacular" which is the biggest joke of all.

There was no flag on the play. Apparently the refs saw it as a clean hit. Like everybody in the football world did.
Just think if this BS keeps up . I'll be tending my yard more often.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They don't ever teach you to drop your head and hit someone with the crown on your helmet. Hit what you can see if what I was taught. The hit was clean, but people are acting like that's how you tackle someone. That's how you break your neck or mess up your spine. If a tackler wants to take that risk, fine, it's a clean hit. That's not how you tackle someone.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much a form tackle.

No coach in football history taught his players to drop your head and tackle with the crown of your helmet. If he kept his head up it's a different story.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams that commit multiple flagrant hits will face sanctions - NFL.com

Excerpt from this article: "...a receiver who...hasn't clearly become a runner...is considered defenseless. Defenseless players cannot be hit in the head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm or shoulder."

This rule was brought in in 2010 and expanded in 2011. You're know what a helmet is. You know what a defenseless receiver is. You know what the rule states. You know why it's in place.
In this case the receiver's head stays at the same height. IE he isn't ducking! If you hit him in the chest and the helmet slides up to his head it's a foul.

Aim below the chest.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams that commit multiple flagrant hits will face sanctions - NFL.com

Excerpt from this article: "...a receiver who...hasn't clearly become a runner...is considered defenseless. Defenseless players cannot be hit in the head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm or shoulder."

This rule was brought in in 2010 and expanded in 2011. You're know what a helmet is. You know what a defenseless receiver is. You know what the rule states. You know why it's in place.
In this case the receiver's head stays at the same height. IE he isn't ducking! If you hit him in the chest and the helmet slides up to his head it's a foul.

Aim below the chest.

If he was ducking it would have likely drawn a PF/UR flag, because per the rules, the responsibility of being in the correct tackling position always falls on the defender. Another rule that makes me pull my hair out becasue thats inherently unfair to the defender.

This isnt directed at you, because your just stating part of the rule. Was it a perfect tackle? No. However this needs to be asked- what can be learned from this that will keep it from happening again? The correct answer is nothing. In the fleeting instance this occurs, there are always going to be tackles less than perfect. Helmets are going to make some degree of contact. The first box that needs to be checked is intent, i.e did he leave his feet? Did he clearly aim for the head leading with the helmet. IMO- the term "leading with the helmet" without a qualifier is plain silly- until the human body's parts become rearranged, the head is always going to lead.

As an aside, the refs botched the call- ball was secured and a football move was made, should have been a fumble.
That said, the interpretation of the the rule where the use of an operative word "clearly" comes in.

Id like an explanation of what is exactly clear about how a receiver is determined to be defenseless over the course of ~ second and a half.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lance Briggs' tweet sums it up nicely...

"Bostic's hit illegal. Hit on Dustin Keller. Legal."

This is the fundamental problem that most have with this shit. The hit on Keller was WAAAAAY worse. The intent, the execution, and of course, the results. Yet, that shit is ok. 100% percent of players would agree with this too.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a fan of the fine but he did hit him with the crown of his helmet.

I also dont see how the officials can police the new rule about RBs lowering their heads.