• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bostic hit with 21K fine for hit

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lance Briggs' tweet sums it up nicely...

"Bostic's hit illegal. Hit on Dustin Keller. Legal."

This is the fundamental problem that most have with this shit. The hit on Keller was WAAAAAY worse. The intent, the execution, and of course, the results. Yet, that shit is ok. 100% percent of players would agree with this too.

Things will change the minute an elite QB getting Kellered.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No coach in football history taught his players to drop your head and tackle with the crown of your helmet. If he kept his head up it's a different story.

His head was up.

RaptorII

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For reference;

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCOn2mWtceE]Huge Hit by Ray Lewis on Dustin Keller - YouTube[/ame]

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He meant the hit around Keller's knees this year that knocked him out for the season I'm pretty sure.

RaptorII

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He meant the hit around Keller's knees this year that knocked him out for the season I'm pretty sure.

Ah... okay.
-Didn't see/hear about that.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have not seen a video. It was a helmet to the knees.

IMO there's nothing wrong with it; the offensive player just has to get their feet up and there's minimal injury risk.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks. Shitty luck, but shouldn't be illegal by any means IMO.

touchdownhester

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He never hit him with the crown of his helmet and thats not what he fined for moron...You're an idiot..look at the replay a few more times..he hit him clean with a textbook tackle with his shoulder in his chest...

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams that commit multiple flagrant hits will face sanctions - NFL.com

Excerpt from this article: "...a receiver who...hasn't clearly become a runner...is considered defenseless. Defenseless players cannot be hit in the head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm or shoulder."

This rule was brought in in 2010 and expanded in 2011. You're know what a helmet is. You know what a defenseless receiver is. You know what the rule states. You know why it's in place.
In this case the receiver's head stays at the same height. IE he isn't ducking! If you hit him in the chest and the helmet slides up to his head it's a foul.

Aim below the chest.

My biggest issue was that the receiver had clearly become a runner, he took two steps with the ball... Not only that, but he had to LOOK at Bostic on his way to turning up field from viewing the QB and the throw. How was he not a runner? Plus he was inside the 5 yard area where the helmet rule on runners is not suppose to be in force. :noidea:

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you to those of you who understand that my previous post is not a criticism of the Bears or their organisation. That's the rule and it applies to everyone. I don't like the rule for the same reason that was mentioned earlier. A hit should not be illegal at 1 point and legal at a later point on the same play unless there's a clear point where the situation changes, (eg. pass interference stops once the ball reaches the receiver). Logically there must be a point where it changes from to the other. In the case of becoming a runner how can anyone determine where that point is to 0.1 of a second? That said Bostic could have aimed lower. If he had done so there we wouldn't be arguing his guilt or innocence.

My main annoyance is with those who say it's ok or 'legal' to break the laws that they don't like. If Bostic's hit was clearly legal he wouldn't have been fined. My secondary annoyance is with those who say this is all Mr. Goodell's doing. The Competition Committee wrote this rule and the owners voted for it.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
edit: posted this few minutes ago on Denver board but re-posting here since it's Bears.

Time to start boycotting the NFL Hall of Fame. Time to start blaming these ex players aka the Players Union for ruining the NFL they paved for us. This is not about Goodell. This is about lawyers, and the money these greedy, dishonorable ex players are STEALING from the players of today. Goodell has no choice but to levy these ridiculous fines for as long as the players union threaten to sue for concussions. It's internal terrorism of the NFL and it's killing the sport.

Do firefighters sue when they get burned? Do cops sue when they get shot? Do pilots sue when their planes go down? It's criminal that these law suits even exist. Until someone stands up for the sport and tells these ex-players to live with their choices and stop selfishly hurting the sport they paved for everyone else, nothing will change. It will only get worse.

A-FREAKING-MEN!

I have been saying this for a long time. Don't CHANGE THE GAME because players get hurt. That makes no sense. They know what they signed up for.

If you don't want head injuries. Don't choose a career in which you are colliding at 100 MPH with 250 pound killing machines.

Most of these guys have college degrees from good schools. Go pick another career. That's like having a business major, and then joining the marine corp. Then complaining when you get shot in the leg. What the hell did you expect? lol

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you to those of you who understand that my previous post is not a criticism of the Bears or their organisation. That's the rule and it applies to everyone. I don't like the rule for the same reason that was mentioned earlier. A hit should not be illegal at 1 point and legal at a later point on the same play unless there's a clear point where the situation changes, (eg. pass interference stops once the ball reaches the receiver). Logically there must be a point where it changes from to the other. In the case of becoming a runner how can anyone determine where that point is to 0.1 of a second? That said Bostic could have aimed lower. If he had done so there we wouldn't be arguing his guilt or innocence.

My main annoyance is with those who say it's ok or 'legal' to break the laws that they don't like. If Bostic's hit was clearly legal he wouldn't have been fined. My secondary annoyance is with those who say this is all Mr. Goodell's doing. The Competition Committee wrote this rule and the owners voted for it.

AIMED LOWER?

LOL... you obviously have never played this game passed pop warner. That's like telling a soldier that he should have shot a guy from a hundred yards away an inch higher on his chest.

There is LITERALLY ZERO time to think about where you're hitting a runner in that situation. It's completely instinctive.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think there would have been no fine if he didnt stand up and start jawwing at the receiver after the hit.

55briggs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bostics hit was no worse than SUHs hits on the QBS. and he did it every week,

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does everyone miss he lead with his head? Clean hit, but it's dangerous to the tackler. Anyone who's ever played football knows you don't lead with the crown of your helmet. If the tackler wants to take the risk, fine, but that's not how you tackle someone.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't wish to elaborate on this any further. I have been ranting about this all morning with some co-workers.

A sad day for football, IMO. A new low. That hit was as clean as you can hit someone in that situation. Hit the middle of the body, wrapped up, and drove him into the ground. No launch, etc... nothing.

Seriously, it's stuff like this that makes me want to slowly stop caring about football. In 25 years, it's hard to imagine there's a sport left that I'll really want to watch. This game will be all but finished. Non-collison sports like basketball and baseball will likely be the thriving sports.

You just know they hit Bostic with this fine because he's an up and coming player who has a chance to be an elite LB in a few years. They're getting to these guys young now. Welcome to the NFL rookie... don't hit our offensive skill players too hard.

The worst part, this docked him a games worth of pay. Bull shit of epic proportion.

He lead with the crown of the helmet, sorry not how he was ever taught. Blame the 4,500 EX NFL player who want money for head injuries and won. What can the NFL do? Maybe this will change your mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look how fucked up Mackey is, head injuries is no joke.