• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Blackhawks Offseason Thread

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After game 7 I went to the nhl network and watched the story about trading Gretzky. Brought up a scary thought.

They have to wait til July 1 to offer the extensions to Kane and Toews. The situation though, is what if Kane says no. Maybe he wants more than Toews, maybe he wants to go to Buffalo and wont sign a lifetime contract they expect Toews to. Its tough to consider this, but we watched Wayne Gretzky get moved after 4 cup wins. Edmonton knew they were not gonna be able to resign him, they knew he wanted to be in LA with his actress wife, they made the deal.

If they are privately pushed into a corner, what would the return be if he was traded? Do you play out the final year and let him walk for nothing? I think its an interesting conversation. Any team would want him, the bidding would be nuts if they thought they might have a way to resign him after the season, maybe there would be a team that would accept getting a one year shot to win the cup.

Mind you, there is no reason they should have to trade him, the cap issues would be helped if they accepted Teuvo, Smith, Morin, Nordstrom, McNeil, Clendening, Carey, were gonna be on this team and not pay millions for the vets like they like to pay. I think its also interesting they are talking about moving some of this defense. Seabrook is the highest paid defender on the team and might be the fourth best defender on the team, anybody would want hammer, signed pretty reasonably for what he gives us. I mean, Oduya and Hammer were the top defensive line matching up against the top lines. If this team is gonna continue not being physical the only real hitter on the team part kinda gets lost in keeping and resigning him.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that the Pens might be interested in him too.

Where would he go? Would Malkin be moved to wing?

I would start him out on the 4th line as a center, that's how we won the Cup in 1991, 1992, & 2009, by having 4 solid centers. Then let him work his way up. Doubt if it happens tho, we don't have the trade assets for Teravainen IMO.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rumor the week of the deadline was Kesler and Vancouvers second round pick for Teuvo, Leddy and the Hawks first round pick, but Vancouver wanted a private workout with Teuvo and they could not arrange it since he was still in Finland. So they agreed to wait til the draft comes around and talk again. I dont know if that means the cannucks saw enough of Teuvo while he was in the states or its still another get together.

I just think kane would be fine with a consistent line. I think Smith and Saad would be better partners for kane, saad and kane were unbelievable, shaw got in the way at the net, but wasnt making any super plays on that line. Teuvo would fit the role as well, but the bowmans love to get the veterans in, even though we just watched three series where most of our veterans were outplayed by our youth.

I would like to see Teravainen & Kane on the same line before they make any trades. Could be very dynamic.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but what would the Hawks be capable/willing to give up for a player like Ryan Kesler? Not only is he signed for the long term but you gotta figure a lot of other teams will raise the demand for him in hopes to get him themselves.

The Hawks have a boatload of prospects, most of whom will never get the chance for much playing time in Chicago considering the depth ahead of them. I'm more concerned about being able to free up the cap space.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hawks have a boatload of prospects, most of whom will never get the chance for much playing time in Chicago considering the depth ahead of them. I'm more concerned about being able to free up the cap space.

Thats the whole point though, you move a few veterans, preferably Versteeg, maybe Seabrook or Oduya and just do not replace them with veterans unless they are needed at the deadline. Regin will walk, Brookbank might stay, it should be less than a million salary, but maybe he wants to actually play 60 games a year and will go where he might get a chance.

We have not seen D Men from the system play here for any length of time. They are already talking about guys past the current Rockford roster as our D man prospects. Its time our prospects get the chance here.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats the whole point though, you move a few veterans, preferably Versteeg, maybe Seabrook or Oduya and just do not replace them with veterans unless they are needed at the deadline. Regin will walk, Brookbank might stay, it should be less than a million salary, but maybe he wants to actually play 60 games a year and will go where he might get a chance.

We have not seen D Men from the system play here for any length of time. They are already talking about guys past the current Rockford roster as our D man prospects. Its time our prospects get the chance here.

True. Hawks may have to sweeten the pot in order to move Versteeg, though.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True the cap space is the biggest problem, ditto for my Pens.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True the cap space is the biggest problem, ditto for my Pens.

I think the Pens have bigger problems, Pierre McGuire is on the list for your new GM. I hope he gets the job so we dont need to see him on NBC telecasts anymore.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Pens have bigger problems, Pierre McGuire is on the list for your new GM. I hope he gets the job so we dont need to see him on NBC telecasts anymore.

:lol: that would be funny, doubt it happens tho.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From ESPN:

If there was a team that could repeat, it was this one. Led by Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane, the Chicago Blackhawks are as good as any team in the league. They know how to win in the postseason. They’re deep, experienced and everything else you'd want in a championship contender.

Even so, they lost. They lost because there are other powerhouses in the NHL. They lost because parity and the salary cap mean that one team will never be so much better than the others that it’ll consistently make it to the Stanley Cup finals.

There’s no shame in losing to the Los Angeles Kings. There's also no reason to make dramatic changes this summer, but there is some business to handle, starting here:

1. Sign Kane and Toews to gigantic contract extensions

Say this about the Blackhawks: They maximized their time when Kane and Toews were at their most affordable. They won a Stanley Cup while the two were still on their entry-level deals. The Hawks won another when they were making $6.3 million each per season. That's not particularly cheap, but certainly under market value. For example, they’re each averaging only half a million more per season than Jordan Eberle.

To put it another way, it’s time for a raise. They have one more year left on their contracts, so there’s not necessarily any urgency. But at the same time, you don’t want to let Kane and Toews get anywhere near unrestricted free agency if you’re the Blackhawks.

They can officially sign extensions July 1, and both have said they’re not concerned about the contract and anticipate staying in Chicago for the long haul. It helps that CAA’s Pat Brisson represents them both, further simplifying the process.

So what does the next deal look like for those two? The best comparable would be Evgeni Malkin, who signed an eight-year contract worth a total of $76 million, or $9.5 million per season. It was signed under the new CBA -- with the contract length limitations in place -- and he’s close to their age, with similar honors and accomplishments. They could certainly get more on the open market, or take less if GM Stan Bowman convinces them he needs the flexibility to surround them with the talent to become an NHL dynasty. But the Malkin contract should be the starting point in talks.

2. Shore up the backup goalie spot

There was a lot of competition to land Antti Raanta, who is an impending restricted free agent this summer. In his first 25 NHL games, he went 13-5-4, with an .897 save percentage, suggesting he still needs some adjustment time to the NHL. The most logical solution is that the Blackhawks sign him to a contract extension and plug him in behind Corey Crawford as the backup, although Crawford’s struggles in the Western Conference finals provided fodder for his doubters (who were quiet in the first two rounds).

Crawford entered Game 7 with a .884 save percentage against the Kings in the conference finals, and then allowed five goals in Chicago’s last game of the season. If Bowman is feeling nostalgic, he could probably pry Antti Niemi away from the San Jose Sharks without too much trouble.

Despite his struggles against the Kings, Crawford entered the game with a career save percentage of .921 in his first 55 postseason games, more than good enough to win future Stanley Cups. This was perhaps an ugly way to go out, but it's also no reason to panic.

As always, the Blackhawks could use a No. 2 center, but they’ve survived pretty well without one during the past few seasons. More seasoning for Teuvo Teravainen might eventually solve that problem.

3. Lay low for a while

It’s impressive that the Blackhawks advanced as far as they did coming off a lockout-crammed season in 2013, a short summer of Stanley Cup celebration and then a condensed schedule this season because of the Olympics. This team, like the Kings and Boston Bruins, has some serious mileage on it.

Having the season end June 1 gives this group of Blackhawks the rarity of an actual offseason where the players can get away from the game for a while, heal up and then get ready for next season. This group will be back in the conference finals (and potentially beyond) before we know it.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From John Jaeckel at hockeybuzz:

On Ryan Kesler.

The story I heard in late February/early March was that when Kane retuned from Sochi, he lobbied Hawk management to make a move on his Olympic teammate and line mate, Ryan Kesler. I was told that Stan Bowman did talk to then-Vancouver GM Mike Gillis, names were exchanged and Kesler did express a strong desire to play in Chicago—as in Chicago would be #1 on his list.

I also heard Bowman and Gillis agreed to table the discussion until before the draft. Vancouver now has a new GM, but the arithmetic of Kesler staying in Vancouver (or not) remains the same. The Canucks pretty much need to rebuild; Kesler is a traceable chip. And he fits the Hawks' needs like a glove.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowman seems like he is gonna try to stand pat this off season. Its gonna be interesting to see him sit on his hands, but he clearly needs to. I think we will all feel that resigning Kane and Toews is gonna be like getting two free agents. This team is deep and they showed there is production from the rockford players who just need consistent playing time. I dont know if its gonna continue to take 120 points to make the playoffs with home ice in the west, but there might end up being reactive moves depending on what st louis, anaheim and colorado do, as well as minnesota, san jose and Dallas. I mean if you can resign kane and toews and get kesler not only to get him to center kane but also to keep him away from your western conference playoff teams, I think bowman makes it happen. I dont know if its gonna cost Sharp, Hossa or Seabrook since Vancouver seems to think they gotta get younger, and we dont know if Leddy, Teuvo, McNeil, Morin, Nordstrom, Clendening are what Vancouver will want, but as of right now there is only 4 million in cap space, so someone would have to go. It might be separate trades to other teams to get the cap space, but room needs to be made to get Kesler. I dont think the cap is gonna go up enough since the nhl just loves the different teams in the finals each year and the cap is their way of breaking up dynasties.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seabrook has never really been the same since his concussion from the Wisniewski hit back in 2010.

I forgot all about that, but good point. I think his physical play is just taking a toll on him overall.

I'd love to move Hossa too, but I just don't see anyone wanting any part of that contract.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot all about that, but good point. I think his physical play is just taking a toll on him overall.

I'd love to move Hossa too, but I just don't see anyone wanting any part of that contract.

The Hossa contract will definitely be an anchor at some point, but I'm not ready to move him yet. He's still too valuable. Also, Sharp allegedly was dealing with a separated shoulder in the playoffs. Hasn't been 100% confirmed, though.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we usually get to hear about the injuries by now since nobody can go after them. I am sure we will hear more confirmed, but eventually you gotta say that a healthy morin or nordstrom would get plugged in if an injury is holding players back so much.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all we want are penciled in lines for next year

Hossa, Toews, Sharp
Kane Teuvo, Saad
Bickell, Shaw, Morin
Nordstrom, Kruger Smith.

Smith, Shaw, Nordstrom can get to the second line if Teuvo falters. Actually, I like Smith between Kane and Saad but dont think Teuvo really fits on the fourth line and Shaw is pest and that works best on third and fourth lines. Plus third and fourth lines playing against oppositions third pair of defense will give them opportunities. These are all kids that played well, Teuvos first game was stellar, I kinda think he got a talking to from the coaches after that game and he got too careful.

Morin was really good after playing three or four straight games. If he stays in the lineup, he gets plenty of pucks to the net, is not afraid to hit, and really improved his defense.

That leaves us with McNeil who is gonna replace Sharpie on the point of the powerplay one day, Carey, Mills if they can keep him as extra guys to get a shot.
Handzous will probably retire, if not, he is a healthy scratch guy most of the year. I think Smith and Nordstrom have his pk mentality and are ready to step in (another reason for third and fourth lines)

bollig, eh, verstegg, somehow say goodbye again, man if Pirri was still around.....

D men, Clendening, Van Reimsdyke should be able to fill in short term, maybe never leave.

Really want this group to get a shot til the deadline. If they need to make a move, I am sure they will, but after its proven they need it and dont just want it.