• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Blackhawks Offseason Thread

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hawks certainly gave it their all, but came up a bit short. No reason to hang our heads. Heading into next season, what changes do you think need to be made?

1) GET A TRUE 2C. Jesus. Wouldn't be surprised if Teravainen is moved in order to make this happen. Also wouldn't be surprised if it was for Ryan Kesler.

2) Youth on D. Prospects like Dahlbeck and Clendening are ready for the NHL. Wouldn't be surprised to see Oduya moved to free up a spot. This would also help free up some $$$ for #1 above.

3) Upgrades over aging veterans Handzus and Roszival. Handzus won't be back. I'd like to find a way to make that happen with Roszival as well, although he's got one year left. Not the worst thing if he's their 7th d-man, though.

4) What to do with Versteeg? He clearly never fit in. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt early on, considering he was coming back from a serious injury and wasn't 100%. Unfortunately, I didn't see much if any improvement as the season wore on.

5) Is Raanta really the answer as a back-up goalie? He played well as a starter, not so well as a back-up.

Thoughts?

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we wait and see who Bowman ends up bringing in to block our rockford guys this year. We will soon see if that Teuvo and Leddy deal to Vancouver is gonna happen for Kessler. Its gonna set the tone to see if Kane is gonna resign. If Hanzeus retires you can see Ben smith moving right into his spot on the pk and centering a top 3 line and not missing much of a beat. Will he let that happen? Morin and Nordstrom are more than ready, we have had no D men come up from rocford all season.

Cant get rid of Versteeg fast enough for me.

Honestly, with what we saw, I think the priorities are get ben smith resigned, work out the extensions with kane and toews. If Kane doesnt sign an extension and wants to go home, trading Teuvo would be a big mistake. I'd rather see kane get signed and then make his move for his buddy instead of getting his buddy just to see him no resign anyway.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A part of me is just happy it's all over. I don't know how much more I could have taken emotionally. This series wore me out.

But like JBM said, we absolutely can not ignore our need for a 2nd line center anymore. I think that really hurt us this series.

Also, defense has to get better. I think Seabrook is starting to wear down, his body size and his physical game I believe is starting to take a toll on him.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does everyone feel about Crawford's play?

Well, he wasn't great this series, but neither was Quick.

And I think the defense let Crawford down on more than a couple of goals.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most definitely. Maybe it is just my Husker meltdown mode kicking in...

I don't think there's anything to panic about.

Hawks were gassed coming into this series, they gutted it out and forced a 7th game, hell we were one shot away from going back to the Stanley Cup Finals.

I think a few changes and we'll be right back in the hunt.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, he wasn't great this series, but neither was Quick.

And I think the defense let Crawford down on more than a couple of goals.

Well, they let him down if you consider diving in front of a 90 mph shot letting him down. They probably saved 12 goals that saw the puck just sitting in the blue paint until a hawk forward or d man swatted it to the boards. His rebound control was not that good. He came back in games 5 and 6, and made a few unbelievable saves, but never really looked comfortable. He got checked hard in game 5, got his mask ripped off once over the weekend, got knocked down yesterday. I think its all well and good because he was just a 2.6 million dollar goalie. Now his 6 million per kicks in and people will demand more.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they let him down if you consider diving in front of a 90 mph shot letting him down. They probably saved 12 goals that saw the puck just sitting in the blue paint until a hawk forward or d man swatted it to the boards. His rebound control was not that good. He came back in games 5 and 6, and made a few unbelievable saves, but never really looked comfortable. He got checked hard in game 5, got his mask ripped off once over the weekend, got knocked down yesterday. I think its all well and good because he was just a 2.6 million dollar goalie. Now his 6 million per kicks in and people will demand more.

There's no doubt that Crawford has to be better with that 6 million kicking in.

I'm just saying, he's not to be fully blamed for this series. I thought the defense broke down and let him down more times than none.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no doubt that Crawford has to be better with that 6 million kicking in.

I'm just saying, he's not to be fully blamed for this series. I thought the defense broke down and let him down more times than none.

It was the defense they were playing though. Allow them to play ass in face hockey, nobody bother the guy in front of him. The bigger let downs in this series were the multiple turnovers per game by Seabrook and Keith. There would be one king to get the puck by and they seemed to pass it right to them. Top pair all series was Oduya and Hammer, til they got split up too.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was the defense they were playing though. Allow them to play ass in face hockey, nobody bother the guy in front of him. The bigger let downs in this series were the multiple turnovers per game by Seabrook and Keith. There would be one king to get the puck by and they seemed to pass it right to them. Top pair all series was Oduya and Hammer, til they got split up too.

I think Keith was really feeling the pressure, especially with the way Seabs was playing.

I really think we are witnessing the decline of Seabrook. Plus I don't think Leddy is going to cut it, he doesn't seem to be developing at all.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need centers to back up Toews for sure but other than that I wouldn't change up too much. Out of 30 teams in the league there was probably only 1 team that could beat them in a best of 7.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need centers to back up Toews for sure but other than that I wouldn't change up too much. Out of 30 teams in the league there was probably only 1 team that could beat them in a best of 7.

We can use this time to rest up without the Stanley Cup run and the Olympics and we'll bounce right back.

It will be interesting to see if we can make that deal for Kesler happen, if we do, the Hawks are very very dangerous.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can use this time to rest up without the Stanley Cup run and the Olympics and we'll bounce right back.

It will be interesting to see if we can make that deal for Kesler happen, if we do, the Hawks are very very dangerous.

Yeah a solid 2nd line center would help tremendously but Kesler won't come cheap, he's signed to a long term deal.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah a solid 2nd line center would help tremendously but Kesler won't come cheap, he's signed to a long term deal.

I've heard that Kane really wanted Kesler earlier this year. So like anotheridiot said, I think whether or not we get Kesler could determine the outcome of Kane's decision to stay or go.

You have to assume that Kane isn't happy playing on that 2nd line with no center.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard that Kane really wanted Kesler earlier this year. So like anotheridiot said, I think whether or not we get Kesler could determine the outcome of Kane's decision to stay or go.

You have to assume that Kane isn't happy playing on that 2nd line with no center.

True, but what would the Hawks be capable/willing to give up for a player like Ryan Kesler? Not only is he signed for the long term but you gotta figure a lot of other teams will raise the demand for him in hopes to get him themselves.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but what would the Hawks be capable/willing to give up for a player like Ryan Kesler? Not only is he signed for the long term but you gotta figure a lot of other teams will raise the demand for him in hopes to get him themselves.

I'm assuming negotiations would start with Teuvo, which is a pretty good starting point.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The rumor the week of the deadline was Kesler and Vancouvers second round pick for Teuvo, Leddy and the Hawks first round pick, but Vancouver wanted a private workout with Teuvo and they could not arrange it since he was still in Finland. So they agreed to wait til the draft comes around and talk again. I dont know if that means the cannucks saw enough of Teuvo while he was in the states or its still another get together.

I just think kane would be fine with a consistent line. I think Smith and Saad would be better partners for kane, saad and kane were unbelievable, shaw got in the way at the net, but wasnt making any super plays on that line. Teuvo would fit the role as well, but the bowmans love to get the veterans in, even though we just watched three series where most of our veterans were outplayed by our youth.