• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Black Wednesday.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like we're gonna have to wait on a potential Rusev debut at AEW or Impact this week or next week (remember, the 90 day non-compete for all released talent expires this week). He tested positive for covid

Lana's parents also got it and her mom actually had to be hospitalized on oxygen but she says both are starting to get better and her mom might be discharged soon.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like we're gonna have to wait on a potential Rusev debut at AEW or Impact this week or next week (remember, the 90 day non-compete for all released talent expires this week). He tested positive for covid

Lana's parents also got it and her mom actually had to be hospitalized on oxygen but she says both are starting to get better and her mom might be discharged soon.
That sucks for all of them. Hope that they get better soon. I think if he had signed with AEW, this Wednesday would've been a perfect night to debut and he could've come in and been the next challenger for Moxley if Moxley beats Cage on Dynamite.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

This is speculation on my part but I'm assuming Vince went to Heyman with a mandate that "we have to cut x millions of dollars from the payroll, who do we cut/keep" and he was forced to name specific names. I don't think he was actively lobbying to have anyone fired but its a part of his job on creative. WWE can't risk a valuable singles star like Kevin Owens or Riccochet showing up on Dynamite this year so a high priced veteran tag team like Gallows/Anderson were cut as a result.

Heyman should have been honest about it but thats not his style.

Gallows/Anderson got screwed over the most by the timing of the cuts as their bridge is burned to AEW and it's impossible to go the indie route right now.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not sure I buy that Heyman had firing power, especially since he's basically been shelved himself like a month later. I don't doubt that he talked about using them in various ways considering he was booking Raw, but signing people and letting them go isn't really his job, at least that's not what that role has been in the past. It would make more sense that someone higher up shifted the blame on Heyman and The Good Brothers bought it.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that they moved styles to SD over it is probably the most noteworthy piece

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm not sure I buy that Heyman had firing power, especially since he's basically been shelved himself like a month later. I don't doubt that he talked about using them in various ways considering he was booking Raw, but signing people and letting them go isn't really his job, at least that's not what that role has been in the past. It would make more sense that someone higher up shifted the blame on Heyman and The Good Brothers bought it.

GMs in the NFL make major roster decisions but then eventually get fired themselves. Thats just general corporate hierarchy as well.

I do agree that Vince McMahon ultimately had the final decision but I do think Heyman/Pritchard had major say in who on their brand was protected.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GMs in the NFL make major roster decisions but then eventually get fired themselves. Thats just general corporate hierarchy as well.

I do agree that Vince McMahon ultimately had the final decision but I do think Heyman/Pritchard had major say in who on their brand was protected.

That's not really the best comparison though. Their roles in WWE is more they are the head of the writers for the specific show. From past interviews over the years, its clear they will often advocate for certain talent to be on their shows, but its always been more intercompany stuff. Like "this guy is on SD, but I'd really like him on Raw" moreso than "we don't really need him in the company". The latter stuff is more for the Director of Talent Relations role. That person scouts talent outside the comment, hires and fires people, etc.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is speculation on my part but I'm assuming Vince went to Heyman with a mandate that "we have to cut x millions of dollars from the payroll, who do we cut/keep" and he was forced to name specific names. I don't think he was actively lobbying to have anyone fired but its a part of his job on creative. WWE can't risk a valuable singles star like Kevin Owens or Riccochet showing up on Dynamite this year so a high priced veteran tag team like Gallows/Anderson were cut as a result.

Heyman should have been honest about it but thats not his style.

Gallows/Anderson got screwed over the most by the timing of the cuts as their bridge is burned to AEW and it's impossible to go the indie route right now.
But at least they can still go to Japan to work for NJPW whenever international travel opens back up worldwide. They probably could’ve made more money in AEW but I doubt they’re hurting financially.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That's not really the best comparison though. Their roles in WWE is more they are the head of the writers for the specific show. From past interviews over the years, its clear they will often advocate for certain talent to be on their shows, but its always been more intercompany stuff. Like "this guy is on SD, but I'd really like him on Raw" moreso than "we don't really need him in the company". The latter stuff is more for the Director of Talent Relations role. That person scouts talent outside the comment, hires and fires people, etc.

The NFL GM reference wasn't supposed to be a perfect analogy to Heyman's role but rather just a general point that in any hierarchy people with big say in personel descions are eventually fired themselves. I don't agree that Heyman being re-positioned means he didn't have influence at the time this occured.
He was running creative so it wouldn't surprise me that his opinion was the most influential other than Vince's on roster cuts.

I feel terrible for all the wrestlers who were cut but if Heyman absolutely had to give his opinion on it he couldn't risk telling Vince to cut a wrestler who eventually ended up a major ratings draw for Dynamite.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
But at least they can still go to Japan to work for NJPW whenever international travel opens back up worldwide. They probably could’ve made more money in AEW but I doubt they’re hurting financially.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but the best scenario for Gallows/Anderson would be the Moxley and Jericho role where they get prominent TV on time in a major American company and then work occasionally in Japan. The deal they had on the table last year was perfect for them so it sucks they got a bigger offer from WWE only to get let go in a world health crisis. They definitely got screwed here but a lot of it was just unbelievably bad timing.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hindsight is always 20/20 but the best scenario for Gallows/Anderson would be the Moxley and Jericho role where they get prominent TV on time in a major American company and then work occasionally in Japan. The deal they had on the table last year was perfect for them so it sucks they got a bigger offer from WWE only to get let go in a world health crisis. They definitely got screwed here but a lot of it was just unbelievably bad timing.
Isn’t that the type of deal they signed with Impact though? That’s what I’ve heard when the rumors of them signing with Impact first came out. I don’t keep up much with Impact but they’ll probably get a solid push there I’d imagine. AEW already has a stacked tag division, so it’d be a lot harder to get them on tv every week.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Isn’t that the type of deal they signed with Impact though? That’s what I’ve heard when the rumors of them signing with Impact first came out. I don’t keep up much with Impact but they’ll probably get a solid push there I’d imagine. AEW already has a stacked tag division, so it’d be a lot harder to get them on tv every week.

Impact just seems like a much less visible brand right now and I can't imagine the deal in an economic crunch being anything close to last years offer. I am intrigued by EC3 and Gallows/Anderson showing up tonight. I'd consider ordering it if my roku box wasn't fried.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Impact just seems like a much less visible brand right now and I can't imagine the deal in an economic crunch being anything close to last years offer. I am intrigued by EC3 and Gallows/Anderson showing up tonight. I'd consider ordering it if my roku box wasn't fried.
Yeah, no idea about their finances but can’t be worse than the NWA right now I’d imagine. I feel like even if something did happen with Impact, AEW would still probably take them, that they can hash out any hard feelings, which I’m doubting since the Young Bucks either are or already did their podcast.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talent update;

EC3 has signed with Impact

Heath Slater has signed with Impact

Eric Young has signed with Impact

Mike Bennett and Maria Kannellis are presumably signing with ROH. They are set to do ROH's podcast on Monday to "reminisce about the past in ROH and talk about the couple's future in wrestling"

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talent update;

EC3 has signed with Impact

Heath Slater has signed with Impact

Eric Young has signed with Impact

Mike Bennett and Maria Kannellis are presumably signing with ROH. They are set to do ROH's podcast on Monday to "reminisce about the past in ROH and talk about the couple's future in wrestling"
I'm thinking that Rusev(or Miro now I guess) is probably going to sign with AEW whenever he's over the virus. Wouldn't be shocked if they signed Matt Cordona (Zack Ryder) as well since Cody is good friends with him.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking that Rusev(or Miro now I guess) is probably going to sign with AEW whenever he's over the virus. Wouldn't be shocked if they signed Matt Cordona (Zack Ryder) as well since Cody is good friends with him.

I think everyone is expecting Ryder to be the mystery opponent for Cody's TNT title defense this week. They've yet to announce his opponent.

And they damn well better have signed Rusev. I'll be pissed if they miss out on him and will seriously question their judgement. He's everything they need. He's worth spending some cash on.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think everyone is expecting Ryder to be the mystery opponent for Cody's TNT title defense this week. They've yet to announce his opponent.

And they damn well better have signed Rusev. I'll be pissed if they miss out on him and will seriously question their judgement. He's everything they need. He's worth spending some cash on.
Didn't think about Zack as the mystery opponent but that'd be a good one.
Rusev would be a guy that could be elevated into the main event scene pretty quickly I think and could be either a heel or a face, depending on what they feel like they'd need.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I try not to hate on any wrestler but a Ryder signing doesn't excite me at all. If their price tags were close I would have preferred EC3 and/or Eric Young. They're former champions in Impact so perhaps they got a better offer from them than what Ryder got from AEW? Also I know its a long shot but I was hoping for Eddie Kingston to answer Cody's open challenge.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

If they do sign Rusev then Aiden English makes a lot of sense too. AEW doesn't seem to mind paying managers and their act was over like crazy.