• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Black Thursday (Coaches fired thread)

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thibs wanted front office powers that he wasn't going to get in LA. He has that in Minnesota now. It is an unknown how capable he will be in that part of the job though.

Exactly. The Lakers wouldn't give Phil that kind of power when he was the coach. They sure as hell aren't giving it to Thibs.

I like Thibs and would definitely prefer him over Byron. But lets not pretend that he is necessarily the guy to that could get the Lakers back to title contention.

As someone else pointed out on, I believe, another thread. He's essentially the reverse D'Antoni. D'Antoni figured that his teams would just outscore everybody and Thibs figured his teams would just hold everyone to 80 points or less.

His Bulls team couldn't get past Lebron's Heat teams because even though they did a fantastic job defensively, they still couldn't score enough. Just like D'Antoni's teams, they were good enough to win a lot of regular season games, but came up short in the playoffs vs. more balanced teams.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. The Lakers wouldn't give Phil that kind of power when he was the coach. They sure as hell aren't giving it to Thibs.

I like Thibs and would definitely prefer him over Byron. But lets not pretend that he is necessarily the guy to that could get the Lakers back to title contention.

As someone else pointed out on, I believe, another thread. He's essentially the reverse D'Antoni. D'Antoni figured that his teams would just outscore everybody and Thibs figured his teams would just hold everyone to 80 points or less.

His Bulls team couldn't get past Lebron's Heat teams because even though they did a fantastic job defensively, they still couldn't score enough. Just like D'Antoni's teams, they were good enough to win a lot of regular season games, but came up short in the playoffs vs. more balanced teams.
I think Thibs was by far the best coach on the market- and if Blatt would have been fired in the offseason I would have wanted the Cavs to hire him.

I think that his team USA experience and ability to recruit and his credibility in the NBA are HUUUUGE positives.

It is without a doubt a risk to basically turn your organization over to him- however I have to say I think it would have been worth it.

and im not gonna kill Thibs for not beating LeBron....he didnt have LeBron..lol...just as the Cavs teams could have done some stuff during the Jordan era- but they ran into Jordan- thats not Lenny Wilkins or whoeverse fault.

The problem obviously is that with the Lakers history and Family- there was just no way they were giving up control. It means too much to them. While i understand that- it obviously cost them a good coach and potentially very good recruiter. Who knows how it will come out.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop talking yourselves out of Thibs because LA was too stupid to fire its coach and make a run at him. Thibs is a top 5 NBA coach. Sure, he was interested in FO control and LA likely would not give that to him. But he was also interested in the Lakers. You get him in an interview and maybe you work something out. That's the whole point of interviews and negotiations. The fact that LA didn't even afford themselves that opportunity is absolutely ludicrous. Worst case scenario? He says no and you move on to your next candidate because anyone is better than Byron Scott. Like literally anyone. You can absolutely do no worse than him, he's already at the bottom, so anyone else has the potential to be an upgrade. It's a no lose situation.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop talking yourselves out of Thibs because LA was too stupid to fire its coach and make a run at him. Thibs is a top 5 NBA coach. Sure, he was interested in FO control and LA likely would not give that to him. But he was also interested in the Lakers. You get him in an interview and maybe you work something out. That's the whole point of interviews and negotiations. The fact that LA didn't even afford themselves that opportunity is absolutely ludicrous. Worst case scenario? He says no and you move on to your next candidate because anyone is better than Byron Scott. Like literally anyone. You can absolutely do no worse than him, he's already at the bottom, so anyone else has the potential to be an upgrade. It's a no lose situation.

Stawp pissing in the punch bowl ya bastid!! We are all hoping that there is a plot between Jeanie and Phil to ensure Jim's ouster after next season and replace Byron with Luke. The Thibs stuff is just part of the subterfuge. You're going to fuck up the grand plan.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stawp pissing in the punch bowl ya bastid!! We are all hoping that there is a plot between Jeanie and Phil to ensure Jim's ouster after next season and replace Byron with Luke. The Thibs stuff is just part of the subterfuge. You're going to fuck up the grand plan.

Byron Scott just got fired.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Los Angeles Lakers have fired coach Byron Scott after they posted the worst record in franchise history in each of the two seasons since he was hired, sources have told ESPN's Stephen A. SmithE.

Scott had said he expected to be back a week ago, two days after the team closed its 2015-16 season with a win over the Utah Jazz, which gave the Lakers a franchise-worst 17-65 record.

Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak had said he and Lakers part-owner and executive vice president Jim Buss plan to have an "informal lunch" with Scott at some point in the next two weeks.

The Lakers have been in rebuilding mode since Kobe Bryant ruptured his Achilles in April 2013. All-Star center Dwight Howard left the team for less money elsewhere the following offseason, then All-Star center Pau Gasol did the same in the summer of 2014.

Bryant, meanwhile, wasn't the same dominant player since his Achilles injury. The five-time champion suffered consecutive season-ending injuries in the 2013-14 and 2014-15 seasons. He played 66 games this past season before retiring.

Information from ESPN's Baxter Holmes was used in this report.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor going around is that Luke Walton is their choice for a replacement. Walton's camp has expressed interest in the job.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love Luke Walton as a coach. He is young for a coach and can build with the team and he knows the system that GS uses. What we are trying to emulate.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
would have preferred this a week ago. bring in thibs, scott brooks. walton may be the guy. not sure you want all your eggs in one basket so to speak. but really who else is there since they waited this long?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
would have preferred this a week ago. bring in thibs, scott brooks. walton may be the guy. not sure you want all your eggs in one basket so to speak. but really who else is there since they waited this long?

That tweet cuts off Blatt and Van Gundy but that's the list supposedly.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have my doubts about Luke Walton leaving the Warriors - especially if they win a second championship which will tough if Curry continues to have problems. Kind of depends on if Phil Jackson hires Kurt Rambis, but if they don't may be Kurt or Brian Shaw. George Karl is also available, but none these guys are all that great and it's still going to be another couple of years before the time comes that the Lakers need a really good coach.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Byron Scott just got fired.

Just saw that when I opened the paper this morning. Hopefully, that means they know they can get Luke.

Might have to break out my Luuuke t-shirt that I still have from when he was a player.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw that when I opened the paper this morning. Hopefully, that means they know they can get Luke.

Might have to break out my Luuuke t-shirt that I still have from when he was a player.

I'm hearing the Lakers are considering hiring ex Hawks & ex Knicks head coach and current Clippers asst coach Mike Woodson for their HC vacancy.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hearing the Lakers are considering hiring ex Hawks & ex Knicks head coach and current Clippers asst coach Mike Woodson for their HC vacancy.

I'm sure every coach that's available or rumored to be will be said to be in consideration by the Lakers. Heck, a friend of mine even said he heard it could be Phil. :lol: