• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Billy Donovan leaving Floriduh for OKC

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sources

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like fucking Urban Meyer might have struck again!:D

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy smoke! Just saw this myself. I wasn't tracking he was looking towards the pro's. I guess everyone is.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how much and for how long?

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Donovan turned Florida into an absolute top 10 program during his tenure at Florida. It will be interesting to see who Florida hires to replace him. They don't offer the prestige of a blue blood program, so it may be hard to lure a top 10 guy. Shaka Smart is probably wishing he didn't take the Texas job, as I'm sure he would have preferred Florida since he was an assistant there at one point. I think they may have to go mid major route because a high major coach might consider it a lateral move.

I'm sure they'll look at the usual suspects in Archie Miller, Chris Mack, Gregg Marshall etc.

One name to think about...Sean Miller. Foley was very close to hiring him the first time around after Donovan took the magic job for a day. Obviously Sean Miller has a great gig now compared to back then, and not saying he'd leave, but that's one guy I'd assume Foley will look at.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck to him. He's got a lot to play with in OKC with Durant and Westbrook.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll be out in two years.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^Yeah...I agree.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably. Then get a court side gig color commentating for Disney and retire after he's through having fun with that.

Sounds like a great plan to me!

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure they'll look at the usual suspects in Archie Miller, Chris Mack, Gregg Marshall etc.

One name to think about...Sean Miller. Foley was very close to hiring him the first time around after Donovan took the magic job for a day. Obviously Sean Miller has a great gig now compared to back then, and not saying he'd leave, but that's one guy I'd assume Foley will look at.

HAHAHAHAHA

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Donovan turned Florida into an absolute top 10 program during his tenure at Florida. It will be interesting to see who Florida hires to replace him. They don't offer the prestige of a blue blood program, so it may be hard to lure a top 10 guy. Shaka Smart is probably wishing he didn't take the Texas job, as I'm sure he would have preferred Florida since he was an assistant there at one point. I think they may have to go mid major route because a high major coach might consider it a lateral move.

I believe it will be Chris Mack who will emerge.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Gary Parrish, Archie and Chris Mack are the frontrunners. I think they should at least make a token offer to Sean though just to keep the fans/boosters happy. no harm in offering, (even if it is unlikely)

but I heard word around these parts shortly after the NC that Brooks was likely to go (despite the "vote of confidence") and that Donovan was the 1st, 2nd and 3rd name on OKC's list. so I can't say it came as much of a surprise. He's evidently pretty tight with the OKC brass, so it's not just a "we want that guy" it's more of a "good ol boy" thing.

Can't hardly blame him considering he's going to get to coach two MVP caliber players, but my understanding is they both might bolt after next season so if they don't stick around it could be rough road after that. Of course I have a feeling after free agency gets worked out next season the entire landscape of the league might be different.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Did you even read what I posted after that?

Don't get your little panties in a bunch or anything.

Oh I read it, and my panties aren't in a bunch at all. If you think Miller leaves AZ for Florida in May then you are nuts, that's all. And no, I'm not implying that you think he will, but the fact that you even mentioned it made me laugh.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I read it, and my panties aren't in a bunch at all. If you think Miller leaves AZ for Florida in May then you are nuts, that's all. And no, I'm not implying that you think he will, but the fact that you even mentioned it made me laugh.

It's unlikely since it's basically a lateral move for Sean, but you're acting like he's untouchable at AZ, and he absolutely is not. Donovan turned UF into a top 10 CBB coaching job, and it has the added bonus of you're a hero if you win there, and if you lose no one cares because FOOTBALL!!! I would argue it's one of the best jobs in the country considering everything. (location, competition, expectations, resources, money, etc)

Coaches generally don't make lateral moves unless there is some sort of friction at their current spot, but it isn't as crazy as you're making it sound. But go ahead and laugh it it helps you sleep better at night.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's unlikely since it's basically a lateral move for Sean, but you're acting like he's untouchable at AZ, and he absolutely is not. Donovan turned UF into a top 10 CBB coaching job, and it has the added bonus of you're a hero if you win there, and if you lose no one cares because FOOTBALL!!! I would argue it's one of the best jobs in the country considering everything. (location, competition, expectations, resources, money, etc)

Coaches generally don't make lateral moves unless there is some sort of friction at their current spot, but it isn't as crazy as you're making it sound. But go ahead and laugh it it helps you sleep better at night.

K

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@TrollyMcTroller to say no ones cares about basketball a Florida is bullshit. Will it be second to football...yes. But if white isn't winning hell get a quick hook I guarantee.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont know if Shaka Smart would prefer there or not- maybe.

But if he wins it all at Florida, he's still not Donovan.

If he wins it all at Texas, he's a God.