• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bill Russell thanks Lebron

piss-tons

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
11 rings all you need to know. A true leader who was able to lead without even yelling at a team mate. People think he was worthless on offense but he was the most important player on offense for the 60s Celtic dynasty. Bill was able to get the rebound and throw it to the guards in the same motion which set up the Celtics fast break. Without him they don't win a single championship. But you could plug in anyone else on that team. Theres a reason Russell is alone at 11 in all time championships.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His having left Cleveland is not what I have a problem with.

It's the deliberate deception of Cavalier fans for a full season that I have a problem with.

Dwyane Wade's participation in the deception does him no good in my eyes either.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
11 rings all you need to know. A true leader who was able to lead without even yelling at a team mate. People think he was worthless on offense but he was the most important player on offense for the 60s Celtic dynasty. Bill was able to get the rebound and throw it to the guards in the same motion which set up the Celtics fast break. Without him they don't win a single championship. But you could plug in anyone else on that team. Theres a reason Russell is alone at 11 in all time championships.

:nod:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pretty much agree with this. I struggle to an extent on where to place him in history (definitely top 10 and maybe top 5) and I understand some of the arguments against him.

But, end of the day, he was the unquestioned leader of those Celtics teams (after Red of course). Heck, he won his last championship as a player/coach.

And damn some of you for making me stick up for a Celtic!!:lol:

Shoveyjoe

El Flaco
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His having left Cleveland is not what I have a problem with.

It's the deliberate deception of Cavalier fans for a full season that I have a problem with.

Dwyane Wade's participation in the deception does him no good in my eyes either.

He said he was coming back? I remember that the speculation the entire year being that he would go to NY.

Who cares about your eyes? You are a Boston fan, you are programed to dislike Lebron and the Heat, which is fine just dont pretend to be objective.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell deserves his own mountain. Leflop deserves a very low valley, maybe a deep crater on the moon of Pluto.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He said he was coming back? I remember that the speculation the entire year being that he would go to NY.

Who cares about your eyes? You are a Boston fan, you are programed to dislike Lebron and the Heat, which is fine just dont pretend to be objective.

He denied that he had decided he was going to Miami to join his friend Wade and let Cavalier fans think there was still a chance of his staying with their team.

I am not programmed to like or dislike any player on any team. To hope that good players might become Celtics while still in their primes is another matter.

Shoveyjoe

El Flaco
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He denied that he had decided he was going to Miami to join his friend Wade and let Cavalier fans think there was still a chance of his staying with their team.

I am not programmed to like or dislike any player on any team. To hope that good players might become Celtics while still in their primes is another matter.

How do you know when he decided to go to Miami?

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he sucked. Btw, how many rings does he have? Any on a toe?:noidea:

So by that logic, every player who ever got a ring by riding the pine as the 12th man is better than every player who never got a ring. Makes sense. :der:

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Bill Russell was so selfless. He'd never put down another player or boast about his own accomplishments."

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Russell sounds a little insecure to me. FDR isn't on Mount Rushmore so that rock just isn't the Best 4 Presidents ever. Teddy Roosevelt even lost an election. But he did take a bullet.

tzorn10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never liked Russell as I always thought he was so full of himself. He played hard but I honestly dont see him as being any better then a Dennis Rodman or somebody cut of that cloth. Thats great that a player only has to concentrate on rebounding and defense, but what if all the greats had that luxury? Just like the Rodman debate my friend and I have,,,he says Rodman was awesome and could or did average 20 boards a night. I always tell him to go ahead and take Rodman and i'll just stick with Barkley or Malone who would give me 15 to 20 boards a night plus the 20 to 30 points. Imagine if Barkley or Malone were asked to only rebound the ball at the time? Anybody think they couldnt have done what Rodman did? Russell was a recipient of playing on great Celtic teams that afforded him the luxury to be one dimensional. Sure he has the rings, but we all know he couldnt hold Wilts jock strap when it came to skills. Remember the fact that as great of a defensive player and rebounder Russell was, he only lead the league in rebounds 4 years. Take it for what it is.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never liked Russell as I always thought he was so full of himself. He played hard but I honestly dont see him as being any better then a Dennis Rodman or somebody cut of that cloth. Thats great that a player only has to concentrate on rebounding and defense, but what if all the greats had that luxury? Just like the Rodman debate my friend and I have,,,he says Rodman was awesome and could or did average 20 boards a night. I always tell him to go ahead and take Rodman and i'll just stick with Barkley or Malone who would give me 15 to 20 boards a night plus the 20 to 30 points. Imagine if Barkley or Malone were asked to only rebound the ball at the time? Anybody think they couldnt have done what Rodman did? Russell was a recipient of playing on great Celtic teams that afforded him the luxury to be one dimensional. Sure he has the rings, but we all know he couldnt hold Wilts jock strap when it came to skills. Remember the fact that as great of a defensive player and rebounder Russell was, he only lead the league in rebounds 4 years. Take it for what it is.

Russell fans get very angry and nervous when someone illustrates just how laughably absurd is the notion that he was the greatest ever. And when they get really desperate and angry, they resort to their last-ditch effort.

"How many rings has he got?"

The fact is that Bill Russell was the third-best player on his own team and wouldn't earn a roster spot on any of the great teams since the 1980's. When will this silly notion end whereby it's perceived as hip and knowledgeable for a basketball fan to pretend like Russell was great? It's just plain silly.

Bill Russell was the 1960's version of A.C. Green or Thurl Bailey. Good but not to be mentioned among the game's greats.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The disrespect of Bill Russell on this thread...

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The disrespect of Bill Russell on this thread...

I said he was on par with Thurl Bailey. :noidea: What's wrong with that?