• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

big 12 going back to the drawing board

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohio State was rewarded for playing in a weak conference and being a bigger name than TCU and Baylor. Obviously Wisconsin wasn't all that good. :noidea: They will get rolled by Bama.

FIFY.......There is no doubt tOSU got the nod b/c they have a bigger name and bigger fan base, not b/c they were better than TCU or Baylor. Like I said before, running the table in the worst conference in the country is not impressive, nor should it earn you a ticket to the playoff. HOWEVER, tOSU does bring a bigger name and will bring more fans than both Baylor and TCU. tOSU doesn't get in at all if this was TEX or OU, not even with that beatdown of Wisconsin......

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So would you have put either TCU or Baylor in the 4 spot instead even though neither of those teams won their conference outright? If the Big XII still had a CCG the Buckeyes would not have gotten that final spot. And if the Big XII wants to make sure that never happens again they need to add 2 more teams ASAP so they can have a CCG.
-
That isnt true. SOS wasnt a big difference. Many had TCU higher than OSU. No idea if Baylor would have had a much different schedule. They likely would have ended the year playing a Champ game vs a higher rated team than OSU, which is exactly what happened. OSU blew out their opponent, that gave the committee a chance to put the most desirable name in the playoff. Big 12 bet on the percentages and the long shot paid off.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FIFY.......There is no doubt tOSU got the nod b/c they have a bigger name and bigger fan base, not b/c they were better than TCU or Baylor. Like I said before, running the table in the worst conference in the country is not impressive, nor should it earn you a ticket to the playoff. HOWEVER, tOSU does bring a bigger name and will bring more fans than both Baylor and TCU. tOSU doesn't get in at all if this was TEX or OU, not even with that beatdown of Wisconsin......

The ACC was the worst conf in the country this season I think.

In either case, you can look it a million different ways b/t TCU, Baylor, and Ohio State and there isn't any definitive way to say Team X is absolutely better than the other 2 unless you have an agenda.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting food for thought:

What if FSU would have lost or if Ohio State would have lost...would the committee then have put Baylor in ahead of TCU? Or did they do that after the fact when they decided to put Ohio State in there?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why only four teams in the championship playoffs? They can do better than just reward the big name colleges.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting food for thought:

What if FSU would have lost or if Ohio State would have lost...would the committee then have put Baylor in ahead of TCU? Or did they do that after the fact when they decided to put Ohio State in there?
-
I thought the week prior's ranking was a way for the committee to distance Baylor and TCU, but that is just reading tea leaves. There is really no way to ever know if it was a decision to make head to head count or to make it appear that it counted.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saying the big 12 is better than big 10 is an opinion. not a fact. the facts are that neither conference did any damage in the their non conference schedule. comparing the 2 is impossible. point differential between 1 game against Minnesota isn't enough. Baylor, tcu, and Kansas st have no qualities win over anybody but themselves. the same can be said for the teams at the top of the big 10.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
That isnt true. SOS wasnt a big difference. Many had TCU higher than OSU. No idea if Baylor would have had a much different schedule. They likely would have ended the year playing a Champ game vs a higher rated team than OSU, which is exactly what happened. OSU blew out their opponent, that gave the committee a chance to put the most desirable name in the playoff. Big 12 bet on the percentages and the long shot paid off.

It's not true that neither TCU or Baylor won the Big XII outright or that the conference currently doesn't have a CCG?:noidea:

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In either case, you can look it a million different ways b/t TCU, Baylor, and Ohio State and there isn't any definitive way to say Team X is absolutely better than the other 2 unless you have an agenda.

I really think the B1G was the worst. An average ACC team took the B1G's only good team behind the woodshed, and that was at the 'Shoe. Iowa State has 2 wins this year, one came against Iowa. Regardless, it's over and the Big 12's commissioner should have been fired this morning.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

the only problem is that the ACC had more non conference wins over top 25 power 5 teams than the big 10 and big 12 combined

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here's some data I posted Saturday night...it has changed somewhat:

"NON-BIASED FACTS:

Ohio State has two wins against currently ranked teams (8, 13), and a loss to an unranked 6-6 VT at home.

Baylor has two wins against currently ranked teams (3 counting OU...3, 9)and a loss to an unranked 7-5 WV on the road.

TCU has two wins against currently ranked teams (3 counting OU...6, 9) and a loss to a top 5 ranked team by 3 pts on the road.

TCU and Ohio State have a common opponent in Minnesota. TCU won more convincingly.

Ohio State played more games/has more wins due to their CCG, but 3 of their 4 OOC wins were against non-P5/FBS opponents...they lost to their only P5 OOC opponent.

None of Baylor's OOC opponents were P5 schools.

One of TCU's OOC opponents was from a P5 school.

Good luck CFP committee.....you're gonna need it."

There's no agenda there, but it says something.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really think the B1G was the worst. An average ACC team took the B1G's only good team behind the woodshed, and that was at the 'Shoe. Iowa State has 2 wins this year, one came against Iowa. Regardless, it's over and the Big 12's commissioner should have been fired this morning.

:rollseyes:

I think we can comfortably say the Ohio State team seen in game 2 and the current team aren't the same.

The CCG worked out great for Ohio State, almost killed Florida State. I guess there's a give and take with it. The commissioner's choice to do co-champs was pretty epically dumb though.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Behind the woodshed...did we watch the same game? Because from what I remember a very young offensive line & a QB making only his 2nd career start were only down by a single TD w/ time running out before the pick 6 gave VT a 14 point win. In no way shape or form was Ohio State taken behind the woodshed.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you are making my point for me. im not saying the big 10 is better than the big 12. im saying there is no way someone can say that either conference is better than the other

sure there is, you have the champions of the two conferences play each other, say, a tourney maybe?

well hey gents, looks like have just proven ourselves to be smarter than the powers that be in CFB. The anti CFB sports fans of the world got nothing but more fuel for their argument in CFB's newest post season sham. Ohio State absolutely deserves to be in and so does every other P5 champion, end of story.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's some data I posted Saturday night...it has changed somewhat:

"NON-BIASED FACTS:

Ohio State has two wins against currently ranked teams (8, 13), and a loss to an unranked 6-6 VT at home.

Baylor has two wins against currently ranked teams (3 counting OU...3, 9)and a loss to an unranked 7-5 WV on the road.

TCU has two wins against currently ranked teams (3 counting OU...6, 9) and a loss to a top 5 ranked team by 3 pts on the road.

TCU and Ohio State have a common opponent in Minnesota. TCU won more convincingly.

Ohio State played more games/has more wins due to their CCG, but 3 of their 4 OOC wins were against non-P5/FBS opponents...they lost to their only P5 OOC opponent.

None of Baylor's OOC opponents were P5 schools.

One of TCU's OOC opponents was from a P5 school.

Good luck CFP committee.....you're gonna need it."

There's no agenda there, but it says something.

Ohio State also played 10 bowl eligible teams. TCU played 7 and Baylor played 6. The teams' strength of schedule, margin of victory, and general "game control" throughout the season were all pretty close. It was a tossup decision and no matter who the committee chose, they would have been both right and wrong.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think we can comfortably say the Ohio State team seen in game 2 and the current team aren't the same.

It's the same team feeding on weak conference opponents.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The CCG worked out great for Ohio State, almost killed Florida State. I guess there's a give and take with it. The commissioner's choice to do co-champs was pretty epically dumb though.

Seems like people are using hindsight on this one. Somehow it is epically dumb to not devalue a team that is ranked 3rd and go all in on the team ranked 6th.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like people are using hindsight on this one. Somehow it is epically dumb to not devalue a team that is ranked 3rd and go all in on the team ranked 6th.

I think it was an epic mistake because the B12 new motto was "one true champion".

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it was an epic mistake because the B12 new motto was "one true champion".

whats more important? A slogan or getting in the playoffs? I think it is the later.