• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 12 Expansion - Translating Boren's comment

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trolling or ragging OU fans at all. Just confused on what Boren means.

The Big 12 wants to expand after all, so who will it be?

Here is Boren's quote in the article when it looked like expansion was dead.

“There’s no doubt that expansion gives some marginal gain,” Boren said June 3. “But how much marginal gain? …. But you have to weigh that against reputational impacts. In other words, our fans want to see our teams play against great teams. They don’t want to see them play mediocre teams.”

Now expansion is back on and the potential list in the order they appear in the article are:

Cincinnati, Connecticut, Houston, Central Florida, and BYU (No mention of Colorado State or Memphis in the article.)

As an OU fan, who do you consider "the great teams" he is referring to when he says "our fans want to see our teams play against great teams."?

I'm don't think OU fans consider any of the teams listed above to be "great" teams...but, I've been wrong before.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trolling or ragging OU fans at all. Just confused on what Boren means.

The Big 12 wants to expand after all, so who will it be?

Here is Boren's quote in the article when it looked like expansion was dead.

“There’s no doubt that expansion gives some marginal gain,” Boren said June 3. “But how much marginal gain? …. But you have to weigh that against reputational impacts. In other words, our fans want to see our teams play against great teams. They don’t want to see them play mediocre teams.”

Now expansion is back on and the potential list in the order they appear in the article are:

Cincinnati, Connecticut, Houston, Central Florida, and BYU (No mention of Colorado State or Memphis in the article.)

As an OU fan, who do you consider "the great teams" he is referring to when he says "our fans want to see our teams play against great teams."?

I'm don't think OU fans consider any of the teams listed above to be "great" teams...but, I've been wrong before.

Strictly from a football perspective you are right, there are no great teams in that list. There are some teams that, with P5 advantages, could be good teams regularly with the occasional lightning strike of a great team. I haven't been following too closely to these talks and don't really have a dog in the fight but I would say UCONN or Cincy would be the B12 best choices out of these

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strictly from a football perspective you are right, there are no great teams in that list. There are some teams that, with P5 advantages, could be good teams regularly with the occasional lightning strike of a great team. I haven't been following too closely to these talks and don't really have a dog in the fight but I would say UCONN or Cincy would be the B12 best choices out of these

I think Colorado State could grow into a real asset. They already own half the state, and that's as a G5 school.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Colorado State could grow into a real asset. They already own half the state, and that's as a G5 school.

I agree, they could be another team that could have success in a P5 conference. I only kept them out as it would further alienate West Virginia

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ignroring travel, money, and academics...

Colorado State, BYU, and Cincinnati seem like reasonable choices to me. BYU in a power 5 conference could end up being pretty solid, imo.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ignroring travel, money, and academics...

Colorado State, BYU, and Cincinnati seem like reasonable choices to me. BYU in a power 5 conference could end up being pretty solid, imo.

I'd take two of those 3, and call it a day.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd pass on ALL of them in favor of UCF and USF.

ANY teams you can grab in Florida outweigh all the others combined. Especially schools the size of UCF and USF......they're HUGE in terms of enrollment. They'll easily be able to build top facilities and programs.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure if Boren is understanding how expansion works. Once again, the strength of your football program doesn't mean anything. It's all about TV markets and recruiting grounds, other wise, shit bag football programs like Rutgers, MD, CU, MIZZOU, Aggy, Nebraska, etc would not have received invites. Expansion is all about expanding the brand of the conference.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's funny when @TexasExes98 contradicts himself in the same post. Nebraska doesn't have great recruiting territory or a large local TV market. One of these days he's going to accidentally admit that Nebraska got invited to the Big Ten because they are a blue blood football program.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure if Boren is understanding how expansion works. Once again, the strength of your football program doesn't mean anything. It's all about TV markets and recruiting grounds, other wise, shit bag football programs like Rutgers, MD, CU, MIZZOU, Aggy, Nebraska, etc would not have received invites. Expansion is all about expanding the brand of the conference.

I think that is too simple. Expansion means different things for different conferences.
ACC expanded to survive
Big 10/SEC expanded for money. They had the brand and diluted it for the sake of money
PAC/Big 12 need to build the brand, so taking middling programs does not really make sense to me.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that is too simple. Expansion means different things for different conferences.
ACC expanded to survive
Big 10/SEC expanded for money. They had the brand and diluted it for the sake of money
PAC/Big 12 need to build the brand, so taking middling programs does not really make sense to me.

This is why you look at the Florida schools first - they're the only ones I've seen listed that have the chance to become major programs. They have the enrollment, money, fan support and fertile recruiting grounds.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why you look at the Florida schools first - they're the only ones I've seen listed that have the chance to become major programs. They have the enrollment, money, fan support and fertile recruiting grounds.

My wife's dad told her to never marry "potential."

He's dead now.

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

156zg4k.jpg

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd pass on ALL of them in favor of UCF and USF.

ANY teams you can grab in Florida outweigh all the others combined. Especially schools the size of UCF and USF......they're HUGE in terms of enrollment. They'll easily be able to build top facilities and programs.

So you think the answer is the 4th and 5th best schools in there own state? Please don't say recruiting, the ACC and SEC have that state surrounded.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BYU already has a winning tradition, money and fan support. Cincy has a better chance of finding a footprint in Ohio than the two bootleg florida schools do in their state.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Most people are betting the landscape is different in 10 years. Why take a middling program that has the potential to be good in 10 years? That only makes sense if you believe the system will remain static. Florida schools are rolling the dice on building a brand and that there is a payoff if/when they hit that goal.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most people are betting the landscape is different in 10 years. Why take a middling program that has the potential to be good in 10 years? That only makes sense if you believe the system will remain static. Florida schools are rolling the dice on building a brand and that there is a payoff if/when they hit that goal.
Obviously this is some comic book super-villain type stuff and I don't think it will end up being reality, but this is kind of an interesting take on it:
Big 12 Auctions Off League Membership For Big Money