• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 12 Expansion: It's Down to BYU, Houston, and Cincinnati

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, but I'd be surprised if either school is ever granted membership into the ACC. Of course, a lot of that heavily depends on who the Big XII adds.

I think everything will depend on what Notre Dame does. If they decide on joining for football, then I think UConn will be a top contender to come in as the 16th school. But if ND wants to stay independent, then it'll stay as is.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think everything will depend on what Notre Dame does. If they decide on joining for football, then I think UConn will be a top contender to come in as the 16th school. But if ND wants to stay independent, then it'll stay as is.

For sure. I just don't know if UConn will ever gets the vote required to be admitted into the ACC. There is still bad blood from the ACC's end and BC loathes them. Also, the football schools probably wouldn't be too thrilled with UConn.

Stating the obvious here, but the Big XII made a mistake up when they stayed at 10 schools back in 2011/12. Louisville was ripe for the taking, and would have been a good school to pair WVU up with. I do think I remember reading that the reason why the Big XII stayed at ten was that the top football powers in the conference hated the Big XII Championship game.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure. I just don't know if UConn will ever gets the vote required to be admitted into the ACC. There is still bad blood from the ACC's end and BC loathes them. Also, the football schools probably wouldn't be too thrilled with UConn.

Stating the obvious here, but the Big XII made a mistake up when they stayed at 10 schools back in 2011/12. Louisville was ripe for the taking, and would have been a good school to pair WVU up with. I do think I remember reading that the reason why the Big XII stayed at ten was that the top football powers in the conference hated the Big XII Championship game.

I ultimately think that since UConn at least adds respectability to the basketball side of things, that they'd get the required votes, at least from Duke and UNC which holds a lot of sway in the ACC.

Fully agree with them making a huge mistake not taking Louisville when they had a chance. That should've been a no brainer. Though their loss was the ACC's gain. While I admittedly don't keep up all that much with the Big XII, you'd think that they'd be all for having a conference championship game since it'd bring in more money to the conference.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not getting Louisville was a big mistake.

now it gets me thinking about Cincinnati: hell, in an airplane at 30,000 feet, they look very similar-river cities, in the same part of the country, etc. Cincinnati does not have the Louisville basketball program, but we're talking football here. I mean, what has Louisville done in football that's that much better than what Cincinnati done?

I dont know, just thinking out loud here. Maybe the conference ought to pick up Cincinnati as a dancing partner with WVU.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmmm......

..... is anybody else hearing chatter from little birds?

In this case the little birds are out of New York.... so I am VERY skeptical, and the chatter is most likely B.S. (if it was out of Chicago, then perhaps the chatter would hold a bit more water).

but.....

..... this is what I'm hearing:

Soon.... perhaps even imminent.....

...... Oklahoma to the B1G

Is anybody else hearing such talk?

Again....it's probably B.S.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmmmm......

..... is anybody else hearing chatter from little birds?

In this case the little birds are out of New York.... so I am VERY skeptical, and the chatter is most likely B.S. (if it was out of Chicago, then perhaps the chatter would hold a bit more water).

but.....

..... this is what I'm hearing:

Soon.... perhaps even imminent.....

...... Oklahoma to the B1G

Is anybody else hearing such talk?

Again....it's probably B.S.
Hope they do, them not being on tv for the remainder of the Big12 GOR will help Longhorn recruiting and ultimately help the Big12 Because Texas cant go anywhere as long as they have that LHN so Big12 gets stronger:yes:

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just take BYU. They deserve a P5 conference and not being discriminated against.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just take BYU. They deserve a P5 conference and not being discriminated against.

you know, I'd think they'd take BYU in a heartbeat if not for the never-on-a-Sunday thing. BYU has come out and said that they're okay to just be a Football member, but is that something the Big12 wants to do?

BYU will NEVER budge on the Sunday thing-of course now I've said it watch them budge... but for other sports it creates a number of scheduling issues. Football, you're probably okay.

The other issue is they are so far West: if not for WVU, the conference might make some kind of move West? But the differential having an Eastern Time zone and a Mountain (or which ever one they're in) time zone is a stretch.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want BYU in our country but for obvious reasons they can't. I truly don't think the Sunday thing is really that big of a deal, you can schedule around for non revenue sports. I don't have the article or remember where it exactly was but it was an article basing calling the Cal schools bigots and listed how easy it would be to schedule around their no Sunday rules.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*conference

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL East Carolina delivers North Carolina. Might as well say Virginia and South Carolina also.

I traveled North Carolina extensively for work for two years, I saw very few East Carolina Pirates shirts.

I saw Duke, North Carolina, NC State, and Appalachian State quite a bit. Mix in some Clemson and South Carolina, and then I saw ECU T shirt fans. And that was mostly on the east coast of NC. Go to the triangle and you don't see ECU T shirt fans.

Go to Charlotte and I saw UNCC, and zero ECU shirts.

ECU US News ranking 194
Forbes Ranking 540
media market NOT rated
Integrity who knows
ticket sales 7,300,000 charges their students exhorbitant sudent fees
Rights and Licensing of all of the potential candidates listed, ECU is just above last place Houston
R&L dollars

Federal Research dollars, ECU is the bottom feeder of all North CAROLINA Universities unfortunantely the NSF servers are down so I cannot come up with the actual numbers. Just articles.

I will say, that part of North Carolina is very, very pretty. If it weren't for hurricanes, I would consider retiring there.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want BYU in our country but for obvious reasons they can't. I truly don't think the Sunday thing is really that big of a deal, you can schedule around for non revenue sports. I don't have the article or remember where it exactly was but it was an article basing calling the Cal schools bigots and listed how easy it would be to schedule around their no Sunday rules.

The word has always been that PAC (California schools) wont touch a religious institution. Which is why Baylor or TCU would never fly out there. In the Big12, that conference covers all the bases: UCC, Southeran Baptists, and the Heathens in Austin...Mormons fit right in.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The word has always been that PAC (California schools) wont touch a religious institution. Which is why Baylor or TCU would never fly out there. In the Big12, that conference covers all the bases: UCC, Southeran Baptists, and the Heathens in Austin...Mormons fit right in.

No, they won't touch BYU even though it made alot more sense athletically than Colorado. And they use the Sundays as an excuse but scheduling wouldn't be that difficult at all. If they can make teams play on Thursday and Friday nights at 8, after the east coast is asleep, they can make BYU games super late or move the non revenue sports to start on Thursday instead of Friday.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL East Carolina delivers North Carolina. Might as well say Virginia and South Carolina also.

I traveled North Carolina extensively for work for two years, I saw very few East Carolina Pirates shirts.

I saw Duke, North Carolina, NC State, and Appalachian State quite a bit. Mix in some Clemson and South Carolina, and then I saw ECU T shirt fans. And that was mostly on the east coast of NC. Go to the triangle and you don't see ECU T shirt fans.

Go to Charlotte and I saw UNCC, and zero ECU shirts.

ECU US News ranking 194
Forbes Ranking 540
media market NOT rated
Integrity who knows
ticket sales 7,300,000 charges their students exhorbitant sudent fees
Rights and Licensing of all of the potential candidates listed, ECU is just above last place Houston
R&L dollars

Federal Research dollars, ECU is the bottom feeder of all North CAROLINA Universities unfortunantely the NSF servers are down so I cannot come up with the actual numbers. Just articles.

I will say, that part of North Carolina is very, very pretty. If it weren't for hurricanes, I would consider retiring there.

Yeah, ECU doesn't get any coverage here in the Triad. They'll cover Wake and when necessary, they'll cover the three other ACC teams. and its very likely that it is the same way in Western NC and the Charlotte area. The Triangle has 3 ACC teams, so they aren't going to waste any time and cover ECU.

Also, those small little Eastern NC towns that surround ECU, are extremely pro-Carolina.

With that said, the Big XII isn't touching ECU. ECU is kinda screwed, because the four ACC schools had already developed a history with each other, before ECU even fielded a football team. They were also all located in the Triangle metro area, until Wake moved to Winston-Salem in the 1950s, three years after the formation of the ACC.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
okay, just doing some reading on USF: I thought academically they were a no-go, but apparently they just received some big award for being some kind of rising academic star of some sort. Plus they are committed to building a 65,000 seat stadium.

I dont know, maybe a package deal of them and UCF would be a good idea. Not only open up Florida recruiting, but getting two very large TV markets-Orlando being one of the fastest growing metros in the country.

Have to realize that: Texas is not going to touch the GOR in the eight years remaining on this current contract. The conference now pays out 30.5 million per school (not counting Tier 3, where Texas gets 15 mil from LHN, OU, KSU, WVU et all all do pretty well there as well I believe). Texas also is of course not going to touch LHN- not going to budge on either GOR or LHN in the eight years remaining.

These schools are going to fight to get into the Bi12, because they know the AAC and other small conferences are most likely going to die. They are now getting about 3 million max per year, they will be more than happy to accept 5-7 Mil a year- the balance of the 30.5 goes to the current members...for eight years possibly. That's a lot of money.

Also have to realize, this is life as it now stands, there are NO BIG PROGRAMS left to grab. Just the way it is.

Go ahead and take four: Cincy (for WVU and a share of OHio market), UCF-USF, then find one more.

Finally, hearing that the politics in Texas about adding Houston dont mean a whole lot. Apparently at least two Northern non-Texas schools are adamant about keeping Houston out. And, there was a quote: "Do you think OU-OSU give a rats ass what Texas governor Abbott thinks about adding Houston?"

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adding Houston is like poking a sleeping giant in the eye and telling them to "WAKE UP NOW"

Maybe, I'm wrong and am over-rating the potential that Houston has.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, a key point reporter Mike Finger of San Antonio said, "If no team gets at least 8 votes, candidate will not be accepted into the conference."

Even if there are 10 votes to "expand".

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, a key point reporter Mike Finger of San Antonio said, "If no team gets at least 8 votes, candidate will not be accepted into the conference."

Even if there are 10 votes to "expand".
The rest will vote however Texas, OU and Kansas (believe it or not) tell them to. West Virginia may not be as submissive since they need a travel partner. They rest don't have a choice. Especially Baylor. They better just keep their yapper shut, cower down in the corner and suck their thumb.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adding Houston is like poking a sleeping giant in the eye and telling them to "WAKE UP NOW"

Maybe, I'm wrong and am over-rating the potential that Houston has.

They're a commuter school.....like a step or two above community college. They aren't a giant in ANY way.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some folks like to degrade the University of Houston's academics.... but.... UH always appears in the annual Forbes top colleges & universities rankings list.

America's Top Colleges

The annual Forbes list is better than most as it includes both large universities and small 4-year colleges. With approx 660 entrants, this list represents roughly the top 25% American schools (given that there are approx. 2500 4-year degree granting institutions in America).

The current Forbes list has Houston ranked at position #342... compare that to Oklahoma State at #326, Kansas State at #348, Texas Tech at #380, and West Virginia at #412.

Some folks have even mentioned Houston as potential members for the PAC. The current Forbes list has Oregon State ranked at #328, and Washington State at #371.

University of Houston being academically ranked #342 out of approx. 2500 schools puts UH in the top 14% of American schools.