• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 12 Expansion: It's Down to BYU, Houston, and Cincinnati

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, let's welcome Houston to the Big12, it's a done deal.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dodds hid behind the huge revenue influx during his tenure. Otherwise, he was a total miscarriage IMHO.

yeah, as a UT ex and big Longhorn fan, always viewed Dodds as a mixed bag.

Mostly, I remember a good friend of mine, very successful business owner in town and UT ex. He always called him 'DeLois'. I always chuckled, didnt know if he was making fun of his name (which really is not his character, although does have a very dry wit) or just mispronouncing his name...

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, probably already touched on in the thread somewhere, but here's how I read it:

The TV execs at Espins/Fox who approved the current contract with Big12 are about to be fired.

The contract stipulates that no matter who the conference ads, the TV co's will have to pay out to the conference the full amount that they are paying (25 million or so, whatever it is), and the current members' money will not be diluted. No matter who they add.

Big12 can sign up whoever, UT San Antonio, UTEP, Sam Houston State, etc., and they(Espin/fox) still have to pay out 25 million per. These teams, now getting about 1 million, will gladly except 5-7 Million per year! AND the balance goes to the conference to be divvied up between the full members...

They will take their 5-7 mil per year until the current contract is up in 2024 if that's the deal they make for joining. Thus the rest of the teams will be raking in extra dough for the remainder of the contract.

If this is indeed what they do, then it shows that they know the conference is dead, and just grabbing the money.

OR, they could sign a couple of the best teams/programs currently playing (Houston, BYU?) and try to build from there.

OR, the big caveat: THEY could RAID another P5 conference for a few teams. Bill Snyder said he's been told by two former members who left, that they'd like to come back.

After the ACC members signing their new GOR and getting Espins to finally bite on a network of sorts, means the PAC is now the next possible target. The PAC network has, according to some experts in the field that I've read, been a huge financial disappointment. Larry Scott promised the regional markets they would be rolling in the money, and that has not happened. According to what I read, they said Scott should be fired over it.

The 'other' schools in the Big12 are making more money off their Tier3 than the PAC members are with a network.

Well, that's how I see it currently, from what I've been reading and hearing.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big 12 fans mirror their conference executives...unable to see reality when it is about to smack them in the face, only able to react once hit.

this is what I've been talking about for several years now: This skyrocketing amounts of money being thrown around by networks cannot continue. The world is changing, as it always does.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the Texas Legislature for ya!

this point has quickly been overtaken by events: Houston is in, just a formality now.

The real question now is who's going to be the next one?

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this point has quickly been overtaken by events: Houston is in, just a formality now.

The real question now is who's going to be the next one?
I think they should go all the way to 16. Rumor has it the B1G and SEC are looking to get to that number.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they should go all the way to 16. Rumor has it the B1G and SEC are looking to get to that number.
and if they do, the current teams in the conference are going to make a financial KILLING.

the contract the TV execs made leaves them open to full payouts to whoever is added.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston and Cincy? Thats the best we can do? We are the new Big East.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, let's welcome Houston to the Big12, it's a done deal.
Rumors from WVU fans in some parts of TX saying that those tweets of support are just to eventually tell the folks of Houston "Hey see, we tried everything that we could" when they are not invited:noidea:

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors from WVU fans in some parts of TX saying that those tweets of support are just to eventually tell the folks of Houston "Hey see, we tried everything that we could" when they are not invited:noidea:

well I dont really know. Certainly that could be true.

Fact is, Texas has carried the water for a lot of the smaller universities in the state in the past, for whatever reasons. See no reason why they wont do it for Houston as well. Maybe the reasons are different now than they've been in the past, but in the end I think the result will be the same.

I dont know what the plan of action for Texas today and in the future is? They are without a strong AD, and in the short term they need to get one for future moves and growth. With the current contract running through 2024, eight more years, they need to figure out what they want to do.

Obviously, they fit best in the Big12 and would like it to be viable. Husker folks always complain about Texas trying to run everything, and that's why others left. In Nebraska's case, it's like pot meet kettle: they were the kings in the Big8 (of course OU was there as well), then when they absorbed the SWC survivors, that upset the status quo a bit. So they've bit the bullet and moved into a conference where they are just another program, albeit of course a blue blood with great tradition, but just another program nonetheless.

Texas will put off a move like that as long as they can-I mean why would they not? Thus I believe they would rather find a way to make the Big12 work, just need to get OU happy and pick up somebody who can bring some value to the league. Tough task.

Maybe adding Houston and another, such as BYU, thus giving two divisions and a championship game will help. And if Texas and WVU can get really strong, then things will really look better conference wise.

dennis580

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Think it will be Houston and BYU, but its also possible the Big 12 could add 4 teams, and they said they were looking to add 2 to 4 teams.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston is a complete waste of time for anything other than just re-arranging deck chairs.

They add less than zero academics, zero new recruits, and zero new TV markets.

So, of course we plan to add the worst choice (of admittedly a crappy list) of schools nobody else wants..

LETS MAKE UCLA say no.

It is just a stupid as adding Houston.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So..... is every P5 conference gonna increase to 16 members like some folks predict?

Tongue-in-cheek ------- Does that mean we will have sumthin' like the following:

Big XII adds:
Houston
BYU
Cincinnati
Memphis
Central Florida
South Florida

B1G adds:
Colorado State
UConn

ACC adds:
Notre Dame
Temple

PAC adds:
Boise State
San Diego State
New Mexico
UNLV

SEC adds:
SMU
East Carolina

BOOM..... damn near everybody who's anybody (except perhaps poor Tulane and Fresno State and the military academies) gets a seat at the Big Boy table.

:D:D

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So..... is every P5 conference gonna increase to 16 members like some folks predict?

Tongue-in-cheek ------- Does that mean we will have sumthin' like the following:

Big XII adds:
Houston
BYU
Cincinnati
Memphis
Central Florida
South Florida

B1G adds:
Colorado State
UConn

ACC adds:
Notre Dame
Temple

PAC adds:
Boise State
San Diego State
New Mexico
UNLV

SEC adds:
SMU
East Carolina

BOOM..... damn near everybody who's anybody (except perhaps poor Tulane and Fresno State and the military academies) gets a seat at the Big Boy table.

:D:D

The ACC would probably add UConn before they'd add Temple.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston is a complete waste of time for anything other than just re-arranging deck chairs.

They add less than zero academics, zero new recruits, and zero new TV markets.

So, of course we plan to add the worst choice (of admittedly a crappy list) of schools nobody else wants..

LETS MAKE UCLA say no.

It is just a stupid as adding Houston.

Conference has lacked leadership for awhile. Wont change until they get a new commish, imo.

Plus Texas is a void-an interim AD, new president. In addition, I just dont think they care right now if it's Houston or one of the other Group of 5 teams, they all bring about the same thing: either they have fertile recruiting and big population and not much on the academic side or big fan following (UCF, USF e.g.) or pretty big fan following,decent TV following but zero recruiting ground (e.g. BYU).

Only a big program snatched away from another P5 conference can really add something, e.g. UCLA.

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ACC would probably add UConn before they'd add Temple.

I agree, but I'd be surprised if either school is ever granted membership into the ACC. Of course, a lot of that heavily depends on who the Big XII adds.