• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 12 Expansion: It's Down to BYU, Houston, and Cincinnati

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I know...the reason for that comment is the typical Texas fan's insistence that Nebraska left the Big Ten because of the competition. I don't really see the Big 12 as being a more difficult league.
It ain't...outside the fact that the more difficult teams can't be avoided some years...by some teams.

But the B1G has also had some pretty pathetic bottom dwellers the past few years. Same for the ACC.

Truth be told, the SEC and PAC have been the conferences with quality depth lately IMHO. But, one could even poke holes in them as well.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have mentioned this before.

Where does a LOT of money come from? Washington DC.
What states surround Washington DC? Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Virginia. You could throw in New York, North Carolina and West Virginia.

From that, I had suggested that Jim Delany has been gunning for Virginia from the ACC to completely surround the federal money spigot. He would settle for a North Carolina school, but that won't happen.

I think raiding the ACC was the plan for the Big 12, Big ten, and SEC. Now that they extended their GOR, you've seen the Big 12 start to react. It'll be interesting to see how the BIG and SEC react, maybe even reach out to Big 12 schools, see if they're interested. Could be a fun month leading up to the season.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It ain't...outside the fact that the more difficult teams can't be avoided some years...by some teams.

But the B1G has also had some pretty pathetic bottom dwellers the past few years. Same for the ACC.

Truth be told, the SEC and PAC have been the conferences with quality depth lately IMHO. But, one could even poke holes in them as well.

PAC has depth, they just don't have top notch teams now that Oregon is starting to slide down and USC isn't back yet.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everybody trying to re create the Texas/OU game
That's part of it. When we were still in the B12 it was sold as an old SWC rivalry thing. They were also selling the whole B12 vs SEC thing to justify the neutral site game at Jerryworld. Jerry, being an Arkansas alum, is keeping the game there even though it really doesn't make sense anymore now that we are in the same conference. A&M doesn't get anything out of it. The Pigs get to play in Texas once a year in a big venue and that is good for recruiting. If you think about it, Since leaving the SWC, the pigs have gone from playing 7 Texas teams to 0. Some blame their lack of success in the SEC to losing the ability to recruit the great state of Texas.

I've gone to the game in Arlington a couple of times and jerry goes out of his way to make it as one sided as he can. The speaker system is extra loud when the pigs are on defense. They play slow motion replays on the jumbotron for controversial calls that favor Arkansas but not for A&M. It's really an extra home game for Arkansas. The atmosphere there is set up for pig recruiting.

Last edited:

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's part of it. When we were still in the B12 it was sold as an old SWC rivalry thing. They were also selling the whole B12 vs SEC thing to justify the neutral site game at Jerryworld. Jerry, being an Arkansas alum, is keeping the game there even though it really doesn't make sense anymore now that we are in the same conference. A&M doesn't get anything out of it. The Pigs get to play in Texas once a year in a big venue and that is good for recruiting. If you think about it, Since leaving the SWC, the pigs have gone from playing 7 Texas teams to 0. Some blame their lack of success in the SEC to losing the ability to recruit the great state of Texas.

I've gone to the game in Arlington a couple of times and jerry goes out of his way to make it as one sided as he can. The speaker system is extra loud when the pigs are on defense. They play slow motion replays on the jumbotron for controversial calls that favor Arkansas but not for A&M. It's really an extra home game for Arkansas. The atmosphere there is set up for pig recruiting.

Makes sense, have you guys ended this game? Is it a home and home now?

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense, have you guys ended this game? Is it a home and home now?
We did one home and home and werent planning on going back then Jerry and the pigs sicked their lawyers on us and somehow got the game back at the death star for ten more years

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think raiding the ACC was the plan for the Big 12, Big ten, and SEC. Now that they extended their GOR, you've seen the Big 12 start to react. It'll be interesting to see how the BIG and SEC react, maybe even reach out to Big 12 schools, see if they're interested. Could be a fun month leading up to the season.
I agree, IMO that angle is being overlooked in all of this fresh news. The BIG and SEC had their eyes on some ACC schools as well. Heck they might try to poach each other, wonder if Ohio State would like the SEC east?

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, IMO that angle is being overlooked in all of this fresh news. The BIG and SEC had their eyes on some ACC schools as well. Heck they might try to poach each other, wonder if Ohio State would like the SEC east?
Why would either the SEC or B1G try to take from one another? Both are stable and making a ton of money.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh, it's not that bad. I've been to a few with my Aggy alumni cousins. Fun tailgating, but Jerrah definitely goes out of his way for this game....

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is what people from Texas claim. Arkansas no longer recruits Texas, so they suck.

Wasn't the 1990 Arkansas team filled with Texas recruits.
Wasn't the 1991 Arkansas team filled with Texas recruits.
What about 1992, did all of a sudden the recruits from Texas quit the team because Arkansas went SEC?

Oklahoma was in the Big 8, they did fine.

How is West Virginia doing since joining the Big 12 and recruiting Texas?
How is Iowa State doing since joining the Big 12 and recruiting Texas?
How is Kansas doing since joining the Big 12 and recruiting Texas?
How is Kansas State doing since joining the Big 12 and recruiting Texas? Wait until Bill Snyder retires again.

Missouri benefited from recruiting Texas, now they have lost their coach. Let's see what happens.

That is the key, a good coach.

For anyone to actually think that Texas joining your conference all of a sudden means your football team is filled with Texas recruits is idiotic. Sure, it can be filled with Texas recruits, Kansas has 46 players from Texas on their team, and yet, Kansas sucks.

How many Texas players are on the Kansas Basketball team? ZERO.

Only teams from Texas and Oklahoma benefit from recruiting Texas. Complete fallacy that being in the same conference as Texas will benefit your athletic teams.

Cowboyinexile

I have spoken
Hoopla Cash
$ 52,518.49
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From what I've read, the agreement with the ACC and ESPN is between the conference and the network. The schools (at least the public schools that would have to disclose information) haven't signed a GOR extension.

I don't think it's realistic, but you could see Florida State or Clemson decide they don't like what the offer is and consider looking at their options.

FWIW this was brought up on an OKST board so it's probably wishful thinking on our part. But you never know.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I've read, the agreement with the ACC and ESPN is between the conference and the network. The schools (at least the public schools that would have to disclose information) haven't signed a GOR extension.

I don't think it's realistic, but you could see Florida State or Clemson decide they don't like what the offer is and consider looking at their options.

FWIW this was brought up on an OKST board so it's probably wishful thinking on our part. But you never know.

No they extended the GOR to 2035

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
(Not picking on you) but link with some details? Or anyone? I've seen headlines but havnt seen an article as far as money that the ACC schools will get from this network ect.
ESPN-backed ACC Network launches in 2019

The ACC also extended its conference rights deal nine years through 2035-36.

The conference's grant of rights makes it financially untenable for a school to leave, guaranteeing in the 20 years of the deal that a school's media rights, including revenue, for all home games would remain with the ACC regardless of the school's affiliation.

ACC, ESPN Extend Deal to 2036 That Includes New ACC Network

Swofford said league schools unanimously extended a grant-of-rights provision that gives the ACC control of media rights — and more importantly, the money that comes with them — for any school that chooses to leave the conference for the duration of the ESPN deal.