• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 12 Expansion: It's Down to BYU, Houston, and Cincinnati

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From last year's revenue numbers for Rights & Licensing, the lowest team in the Big 12 was Iowa State.
Iowa State Ticket Sales = 14,155,600
Iowa State R&L = 34,126,600

Boise State Ticket Sales = 7,929,400 R&L = 14,962,000
BYU Private school, in 2013 BYU had revenue of $61,000,000 for athletic department
Cincinnati Ticket Sales = 5,670,200 R&L = 16,259,300
Colorado State Ticket Sales = 3,880,900 R&L = 7,521,500
Connecticut Ticket Sales = 9,920,300 R&L = 25,495,500
Houston Ticket Sales = 4,283,800 R&L = 7,225,100
Memphis Ticket Sales = 7,401,400 R&L = 7,265,600
UCF Ticket Sales = 4,381,700 R&L = 8,731,500
USF Ticket Sales = 4,202,600 R&L = 16,076,500

By these revenue numbers, all schools except BYU and UCONN will see at least a doubling of their R&L revenue and a probable bump in ticket sales

The Big 12 is going to see at least 50 different schools make a pitch to them.

Don't forget, Memphis has Mr Fed Ex that has already offered bribes to take Memphis. I don't think any other team has a donor willing to bribe the Big 12 (publicly).

Memphis, Houston, and Cincinnati are all making large facility investments. Houston has taken over $100,000,000 away from academics to fund athletics. Yup, edumacation is important in Texas.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCF or USF
Cinncy
Memphis
Colorado St

Houston and Tulane will never happen as long as Texas is in the league. Houston is recruiting competition. Tulane is just ridiculous. Might as well say Troy or Tulsa.

actually I heard that the other schools in the state are even more dead set against Houston than Texas is.
Think Texas does not really care anymore: add what ever schools you want, it will bring in more money during these 'gap' years until the current contract runs out. Then adios.

The real thing to watch is, no matter what schools are added, will Texas and OU sign the grant of rights extension? I'm thinking probably not.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
actually I heard that the other schools in the state are even more dead set against Houston than Texas is.
Think Texas does not really care anymore: add what ever schools you want, it will bring in more money during these 'gap' years until the current contract runs out. Then adios.

The real thing to watch is, no matter what schools are added, will Texas and OU sign the grant of rights extension? I'm thinking probably not.

I'm inclined to agree. The only problem with going to another conference is OU and Texas are joined at the hip. And OU might have to bring With Texas having to bring either Tech or TCU. So adding 4 teams to the Pac might be to much.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A reporter got an interview with the Texas president to see where they stand, and basically the view is now, add whoever they hell you want, Texas does not care. It's only a 'minding the gap' move anyway.

Looks like this move is by everybody else other than Texas and OU(except for Boren, though he's been backandforth). The other schools in the conference are looking at life after Texas and OU leave, thus they need to add schools, four is preferred.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting point about all of this: This is not the old Texas of DeLoss Dodds et al. Texas has an interim AD, and a new President. The football team has been struggling since 2010.

It's a good time to make moves, if you're the 'others' in the conference. In addition, as I've mentioned above, I think Texas has already made up it's mind to move on, if things dont get better in the years left on the current deal.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tulane is courting the Big 12.

Tulane is a private University in New Orleans, LA. Tulane just built a 30,000 seat stadium with money it did not have, and is annually in the hole $20,000,000 and the State of Louisiana wants to cut back on subsidizing education. Tulane does have an endowment of over $2,000,000,000.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In May, Oklahoma president David Boren, chairman of the board of directors, said as many as 25 schools had contacted the Big 12 -- so it could get messy and complicated in a buyer's market.

Boren said the Big 12's checklist for candidates included athletic competitiveness, fan base size, media markets, school integrity and academic standards, including research.

Big 12 football coaches want BYU and Houston

ESPN poll: Big 12 coaches favor Houston, BYU
BYU 5 votes
Houston 5 votes
Memphis 4 votes
Cincinnati 4 votes

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They try to recruit here. It's why they pitched a fit about the annual game not being in Jerry world for the next ten years. There really isn't s point to a neutral field conference game. Home and home makes more sence but the pigs and jerrys lawyers won't let it
I agree. Same for Baylor/Tech playing there every year. I'm not a fan of neutral site games. But a bunch of people must be.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boren said the Big 12's checklist for candidates included athletic competitiveness, fan base size, media markets, school integrity and academic standards, including research.

Using that

Athletic Competitiveness
BYU, UCONN, Memphis, Cincinnati, Houston, Boise State some schools are a coach away from irrelevancy
I would say BYU, Cincinnati, and Boise State have staying power. But if Boise State moves up in class, will they continue?

Fan base
BYU, UCONN, the rest are tied IMHO

Media Market
BYU own network, Mormons tend to have money
Houston
USF
UCF
I admit I have no idea on what UCONN media market is, does it include New England? New York? or is it just Connecticut, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island?

School Integrity
Hmmm completely subjective BYU is under going massive sex assault scandals also, just like Baylor

Academic Standards
US News Ranking Tulane, UCONN, BYU set themselves apart from the pack
Forbes Ranking, Tulane, UCONN, BYU set themselves apart from the pack
Boise State and Memphis are laggards

Research
USF, Cincinnati, CSU, UCONN, are better than the rest
BYU and Boise State are the laggards

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Same for Baylor/Tech playing there every year. I'm not a fan of neutral site games. But a bunch of people must be.

Everybody trying to re create the Texas/OU game

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, because the Big 12 is so much stronger...especially when you guys get around to adding Cincinnati and UCF :rolleyes:
Easy...you guys took Rutgers and Maryland...and rationalized it around them being on the east coast.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear the politicians at the State Capitol are lobbying for Houston to join the Big 12 right now
Deja vu all over again...Is Abbot a Houston lackey like Richards was a Baylor one?

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Easy...you guys took Rutgers and Maryland...and rationalized it around them being on the east coast.

I have mentioned this before.

Where does a LOT of money come from? Washington DC.
What states surround Washington DC? Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Virginia. You could throw in New York, North Carolina and West Virginia.

From that, I had suggested that Jim Delany has been gunning for Virginia from the ACC to completely surround the federal money spigot. He would settle for a North Carolina school, but that won't happen.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting point about all of this: This is not the old Texas of DeLoss Dodds et al. Texas has an interim AD, and a new President. The football team has been struggling since 2010.

It's a good time to make moves, if you're the 'others' in the conference. In addition, as I've mentioned above, I think Texas has already made up it's mind to move on, if things dont get better in the years left on the current deal.
Dodds hid behind the huge revenue influx during his tenure. Otherwise, he was a total miscarriage IMHO.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have mentioned this before.

Where does a LOT of money come from? Washington DC.
What states surround Washington DC? Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Virginia. You could throw in New York, North Carolina and West Virginia.

From that, I had suggested that Jim Delany has been gunning for Virginia from the ACC to completely surround the federal money spigot. He would settle for a North Carolina school, but that won't happen.
That's the rationalization I was referring to.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I know...the reason for that comment is the typical Texas fan's insistence that Nebraska left the Big Ten because of the competition. I don't really see the Big 12 as being a more difficult league.