• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 12 Expansion: It's Down to BYU, Houston, and Cincinnati

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is zero interest from us.
That's the company line but the Big12 gets a boatload more money by adding teams, what if they offer the lions share of that money to a NU to come back to their roots?

Again, on the surface I agree with you but... Maybe somebody gets creative.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or, a SWC/SEC merger. SEC gives us 3 teams, we give them WV. LHN becomes SWC network, SWC vs SEC in Cotton Bowl, Sugar Bowl, basketball challenge, etc. We'll take Mizzou, Arkansas, and Vandy since I know a&m would never come back.

I prefer an acquisition: the SEC just goes ahead and annexes 2/3rds of the Xii

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read some articles that indicated that the Arizona schools might be interested by I think the PAC has a GOR too so... Not sure how realistic that would be.

I doubt they'd leave the PAC and those California recruiting grounds. If they thought the Texas recruiting was fertile enough, maybe, but they would basically be starting over. Also not sure about their non-revenue sports mix and how it would fit with the Xii as opposed to the Cali teams.

Does Texas have a water polo team?

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt they'd leave the PAC and those California recruiting grounds. If they thought the Texas recruiting was fertile enough, maybe, but they would basically be starting over. Also not sure about their non-revenue sports mix and how it would fit with the Xii as opposed to the Cali teams.

WTF is water polo?

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the company line but the Big12 gets a boatload more money by adding teams, what if they offer the lions share of that money to a NU to come back to their roots?

Again, on the surface I agree with you but... Maybe somebody gets creative.
How much money is stability worth? Not to mention, I doubt the Big 12 could match the B1G's revenue, especially with the new TV deal.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF is water polo?

It's some ghey west coast sport. All the PAC schools have teams. I think they might even offer schollies on it.

It's part of how a PAC-12 team always seems to win the Sears Trophy, by participating in stuff that no one east of the Rockies has ever heard of

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NU isn't leaving, so it won't do anything. What I'm saying is the Big 12 cannot compete with the TV deal the B1G has in place. There wouldn't be enough money to buy Nebraska out of it.

Do you guys like money, or do you like winning?

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Nebraska would have an easier time winning in the Big 12?

Not against Baylor, no...but the rest of the league? It's a reg'lar shit sammich.

So i guess your answer would be, "if we're going to suck, let's at least suck w/more money?"

That was my answer when South Carolina joined the SEC 20 years ago. No shame.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not against Baylor, no...but the rest of the league? It's a reg'lar shit sammich.

So i guess your answer would be, "if we're going to suck, let's at least suck w/more money?"

I just don't see the B1G being that much further out of reach than the Big 12, unless the Big 12 is dropping to G5 status :dhd:

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nebraska is in the Big ten west, they'll be fine competing.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What other option is there? ACC just extended their GOR, nobody's leaving the SEC or B1G, and I doubt anyone would leave the PAC either.

Memphis, Cincy, Tulane or UCF, those are your real players. Expansion isn't about how good your football team is, otherwise the B1G would not have invited Rutgers and MD, hell even Nebraska. Nebraska was more of a sloppy thirds choice to save face after Texas and ND said no. Invite either of those 4 schools and the Big 12 automatically expands its brand in some good TV markets and gets in some good recruiting areas. Tulane also brings in some quality academics, not to mention a New Orleans trip every other year.....

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Memphis, Cincy, Tulane or UCF, those are your real players. Expansion isn't about how good your football team is, otherwise the B1G would not have invited Rutgers and MD, hell even Nebraska. Nebraska was more of a sloppy thirds choice to save face after Texas and ND said no. Invite either of those 4 schools and the Big 12 automatically expands its brand in some good TV markets and gets in some good recruiting areas. Tulane also brings in some quality academics, not to mention a New Orleans trip every other year.....
Nebraska is as far from a market choice as you can get. As much as you want to try to convince yourself that Nebraska lucked into the B1G, it doesn't make it the truth. We can sit back and laugh at the joke the Big 12 has become. My original comment to him was asking about why he specified "going the G5 route" as if there was another option for the Big 12, which there really isn't.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see the B1G being that much further out of reach than the Big 12, unless the Big 12 is dropping to G5 status :dhd:

Yeah, it's pretty much already there, G5 status. Oklahoma and the 9 dwarves. That's why I think you could be dominating it if you were still there.

Fuck TCYew

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NO!!! But I've always said if Texas added a water polo team they would dominate that sport immediately.