• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big 12 Expansion: It's Down to BYU, Houston, and Cincinnati

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some folks like to degrade the University of Houston's academics.... but.... UH always appears in the annual Forbes top colleges & universities rankings list.

America's Top Colleges

The annual Forbes list is better than most as it includes both large universities and small 4-year colleges. With approx 660 entrants, this list represents roughly the top 25% American schools (given that there are approx. 2500 4-year degree granting institutions in America).

The current Forbes list has Houston ranked at position #342... compare that to Oklahoma State at #326, Kansas State at #348, Texas Tech at #380, and West Virginia at #412.

Some folks have even mentioned Houston as potential members for the PAC. The current Forbes list has Oregon State ranked at #328, and Washington State at #371.

University of Houston being academically ranked #342 out of approx. 2500 schools puts UH in the top 14% of American schools.

:yahoo:

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adding Houston is like poking a sleeping giant in the eye and telling them to "WAKE UP NOW"

Maybe, I'm wrong and am over-rating the potential that Houston has.
Could be.

Remember, we've (at least in the old SWC days) had Houston in before. They had a few good years, but they never became Miami. Of course this time could be different, who knows.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be.

Remember, we've (at least in the old SWC days) had Houston in before. They had a few good years, but they never became Miami. Of course this time could be different, who knows.

Seems they were in the SWC for 20 years, 1976-1995.
Won the conference 4 times. 1 outright, 3 co-champs.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember when they hung something close to 100 on post dp SMU.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember when they hung something close to 100 on post dp SMU.
That was in 89. After the death penalty on SMU. This was the first season after their 2 year suspension. They fielded a team full of scrubs and barely had enough to keep from forfeiting the season. I remember Andre Ware was shooting for the Heisman and was tearing them a new asshole. Threw 6 TDs before half time. I actually felt kind of bad for them

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck expanding, Texas and Oklahoma you are welcomed with open arms out west.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems they were in the SWC for 20 years, 1976-1995.
Won the conference 4 times. 1 outright, 3 co-champs.
yeah, so my point was basically to counter that being in a big conference could lead to them really taking off, they've been in a big conference before. Guess when I think of someone really taking off and becoming a monster, I think of Miami. Houston never became a Miami.

But who knows, maybe they could do it this time. Not discounting that it's a possibility.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, so my point was basically to counter that being in a big conference could lead to them really taking off, they've been in a big conference before. Guess when I think of someone really taking off and becoming a monster, I think of Miami. Houston never became a Miami.

But who knows, maybe they could do it this time. Not discounting that it's a possibility.
keep in mind Miami was cheating and have cheated for any fame they have ever gotten, pick a Maimi run and you will find cheating, they are illegitimate.

We could raid the SEC and bring in a South Carolina or Arkansas and likely get similar results as what we could expect from UH :2cents:.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to make it clear, I think WVU and TCU were great adds athletic wise for the Big 12.

The Big 12 should be doing more to keep WVU happy, but the problem is, WVU is far, far away from one state in the Big 12, and that state doesn't really care about West Virginia. Austin to Morgantown is 1400 miles. Cincinnati would be a good add on for WVU, but will the Big 12 do that? If it is Houston and BYU, you would have to agree, the writing is on the wall.

Good luck to WVU with the politics of the Big 12.

I hope for WVU fans that the new additions to the Big 12 are Cincinnati and/or Memphis. It looks like BYU and Houston are in.

How do the WVU fans feel about the addition of Houston since the Governor of Texas has proclaimed Houston should be in, there is this hospital thing going down in Houston, Texas Billionaires making threats, yada yada yada.

That will be Texas school number 5. Within the next 20 year time frame, do you think RICE and SMU will be back in? I do.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Believe it or not most WVU folks feel the same about Cincy as the Texas folks do about UH. They would rather not deal with another P5 quite THAT close to our normal recruiting grounds for both football and basketball. Some feel the same about not adding any of the FL schools for the same reasons, we get a lot of talent out of Florida and have for years.

IMHO if you were to ask our coaches behind closed doors Memphis and ECU would prob be their choice as far as not hurting our recruiting but that line of thinking would be JUST for WVU and not for the well being of the conference.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not a shocker at all.

I also expect Oklahoma schools to follow the party line. Since Kansas, K State, Iowa State, and WVU are just hoping the Big 12 stays together the votes will be unanimous.

Houston is the 10th ranked media market.

Media Markets
USF 13
UCF 19
San Diego State 28
UCONN 30
Cincinnati 34
Memphis 48
Tulane 53

too small
Provo
East Carolina
Boise State
CSU

The question is, will the Big 12 go to 14? I say yes. BYU, Houston, + ? + ?. Too me, UCONN and Cincinnati are worthy, but what is there to recruit? The recruit hot beds not in Big 12 are Florida and California, and those two Florida schools would be hard to turn down. But, will Florida players really choose USF or UCF over Florida, Florida State, and Miami? Taking those two Florida schools would put a Big 12 flag between southern Florida and Northern Florida.

Big 12 will have the BYU Network, the 10th media market, another top 20 market and recruit Florida, and maybe get into Ohio, but maybe not.

BYU, Houston, Cincinnati, USF
BYU, Houston, UCF, USF

Since WVU has said they recruit Florida, they might not like one or two Florida schools being added.

Will be interesting to see the choices for 13 and 14.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also expect Oklahoma schools to follow the party line. Since Kansas, K State, Iowa State, and WVU are just hoping the Big 12 stays together the votes will be unanimous.
Tech, TCU and Baylor will have less options than those four when the Big 12 dissolves.

I've stated before, Texas and OU might as well dissolve it right now. There isn't a viable scenario that will satisfy their wishes....outside pilfering some big name schools from other P5 conferences and that ain't happening. In fact, if it is research $$$s they seek through conference affiliation, they might as well go either B1G or PAC 12 and let the crumb snatchers fend for themselves as a G5 conference.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tech, TCU and Baylor will have less options than those four when the Big 12 dissolves.

I've stated before, Texas and OU might as well dissolve it right now. There isn't a viable scenario that will satisfy their wishes....outside pilfering some big name schools from other P5 conferences and that ain't happening. In fact, if it is research $$$s they seek through conference affiliation, they might as well go either B1G or PAC 12 and let the crumb snatchers fend for themselves as a G5 conference.
Hmm...any chance the big dogs are trying to get the conference to expand so they can leave? Being at 10 members, the Big 12 would essentially dissolve before they dropped down to 8. That wouldn't sit well with the Oklahoma and Texas politicians if TTU, Baylor, TCU, and OSU were left out in the cold. However, if they add 4 teams, the conference would only drop to 12 if OU and UT left, ensuring those schools a place to play, albeit probably not at a level that is considered "Power 5" anymore.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adding Houston is like poking a sleeping giant in the eye and telling them to "WAKE UP NOW"

Maybe, I'm wrong and am over-rating the potential that Houston has.

Cougar High has never been a sleeping giant. They had some decent years in the past when the SWC was around, but was never consistent. They have a very weak fan and alumni base. Very little support. The 5 star recruits in the greater Houston metro area either want to go to Texas or Aggy or to another big program out of state. Adding UofH does nothing for the Big 12, as far as expanding the brand goes....